STATEMENT ISSUED ON BEHALF OF ACU EVENTS LTD
maybolezx12r Offline

Threads: 28
Cant really get my head round this one. Hope the rider makes a full recovery and the investigation clarifies exactly what went wrong.

Mountain Marshal from 2013 Icon_biggrin
31-05-2018, 09:38 AM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Investigations after riders collide with course car
It's Steve Mercer, and it is a bizarre one. Fingers crossed for a full recovery.
31-05-2018, 10:32 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Just read it was Steve Mercer involved, he's been transferred off IoM for treatment - rgds and thoughts for him at this time.
31-05-2018, 10:33 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
(31-05-2018, 09:38 AM)maybolezx12r Wrote: Cant really get my head round this one. Hope the rider makes a full recovery and the investigation clarifies exactly what went wrong.

Just this.

I can't begin to think how this could have happened. Keep fighting Steve.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
31-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
Get well soon Steve.
31-05-2018, 10:47 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
This is a really difficult situation.

I know who the rider is, but I haven't seen him named anywhere, I guess social media being as it is these days, it must be very difficult to stop chit chat.

However, whoever the rider is, it doesn't alter the fact that there must have been a massive breakdown in communications between the Clerk of the Course, the Sector Marshals, and the Course Car driver, and it would be unwise of anyone to jump to any conclusions. The only ACU Official statement thus far is that a collision has occurred.

I have been extremely unhappy about the deployment of the red flag for some time now, but this tragic incident takes the whole subject to another level.
31-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
(31-05-2018, 11:00 AM)Splashdown Wrote: This is a really difficult situation.

I know who the rider is, but I haven't seen him named anywhere, I guess social media being as it is these days, it must be very difficult to stop chit chat.

However, whoever the rider is, it doesn't alter the fact that there must have been a massive breakdown in communications between the Clerk of the Course, the Sector Marshals, and the Course Car driver, and it would be unwise of anyone to jump to any conclusions. The only ACU Official statement thus far is that a collision has occurred.

I have been extremely unhappy about the deployment of the red flag for some time now, but this tragic incident takes the whole subject to another level.

I heard it on Manx Radio at 10am, statement from Jackson Racing
31-05-2018, 11:03 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
I see that Steve Mercer HAS been confirmed as the rider in the Course Car collision.
My best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.
31-05-2018, 11:04 AM
Find Reply
Sussex Ninja Gal' Offline

Threads: 11
'Keeping everything crossed for Steve Mercer. Here's to him pulling through & making a full and speedy recovery from his injuries.
31-05-2018, 11:22 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Been going through all the permutations in my head as to how a course car can be in so close proximity to riders being brought back to the paddock in the opposite direction.
They are so meticulous normally, it just doesnt make sense.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
31-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: 2018presshdr.jpg]

TT Race organisers ACU Events Ltd can confirm that Steve Mercer, 36, from Maidstone, Kent, was the rider involved in a collision with a course car at Ballacrye during last night’s qualifying session at the Isle of Man TT Races.

He has been transferred to Liverpool for further assessment and treatment.

This followed an earlier incident during the Superbike session at Churchtown which the course car was attending.

ACU Events Ltd can confirm that there is an investigation into the circumstances surrounding this incident.

UPDATE: 12:30pm Thursday, 31st May 2018.

Isle of Man TT Races organisers ACU Events Ltd have confirmed that Steve Mercer, 36, from Maidstone, Kent, the rider involved in a collision with a course car at Ballacrye during last night’s Superbike qualifying session, is in a critical but stable condition after being transferred from the Isle of Man to Liverpool.

ACU Events Ltd has confirmed that there is an ongoing investigation into the circumstances surrounding this incident.
(This post was last modified: 31-05-2018, 01:45 PM by Malcolm.)
31-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Website Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 49
RE: STATEMENT ISSUED ON BEHALF OF ACU EVENTS LTD
Very best wishes to Steve Mercer for a speedy recovery. I'm a regular TT course marshal but at the MGP/Classic TT and I'm not on the Island at the moment. I'm certain there will be an thorough investigation of the Mercer-course car incident and when that's concluded I sincerely hope we're all informed as to what actually occurred. This appears to be an incredible event and I simply can't envisage how it's happened and, on the face of it, I find the whole thing very worrying. So DO PLEASE KEEP US INFORMED!!!
31-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
(31-05-2018, 11:00 AM)Splashdown Wrote: I know who the rider is, but I haven't seen him named anywhere, I guess social media being as it is these days, it must be very difficult to stop chit chat.

While waiting for official news last night I saw a post by Manx Radio (I think on Twitter but I can't find it now) with a statement about the (at that time) unnamed rider. The photo with it though was one of Steve Mercer which I thought at the time was either incredibly insensitive or a breach of etiquette in 'leaking' news unofficially.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
31-05-2018, 12:59 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
I don't do Twitter, rumour or speculation, I picked up the info release from Manx Radio website this morning.
31-05-2018, 01:07 PM
Find Reply
BrianW Offline

Threads: 1
This is terrible, I too cannot see how it has happened, but it has. I thought I read at the end of last year that Steve had retired from the roads as his child had asked if he ( Steve) could get hurt ? Hope he recovers quickly.
31-05-2018, 01:09 PM
Find Reply
maybolezx12r Offline

Threads: 28
Critical but stable on Manx Radio news at 2pm.Fingers crossed for Steve.

Mountain Marshal from 2013 Icon_biggrin
31-05-2018, 02:01 PM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 133
According to the Beeb Steve was travelling backwards on the course towards the grandstand after the red flag and got wiped out by the course car travelling the normal way to the fatal incident.

Tragedy if true!
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
31-05-2018, 02:35 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
(31-05-2018, 01:09 PM)BrianW Wrote: This is terrible, I too cannot see how it has happened, but it has. I thought I read at the end of last year that Steve had retired from the roads as his child had asked if he ( Steve) could get hurt ? Hope he recovers quickly.

He got a good ride offered, decided to give it a go, and had tweeted just how much he loved being back out there. This accident shouldn't have happened, but I have no doubt that given the circumstances the investigation will be thorough. Fingers crossed he pulls through.
31-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
It's a real shock that an accident like this could happen. It seems a monumental breakdown in communication on all fronts.

Best wishes to Steve Mercer though, it's a bitter pill to think his accident has proved the catalyst for change.

=======================================================================
See you on the island
31-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Find Reply
studiosoft Offline

Threads: 1
I don't think heresay, guesswork and speculation ever do any good so, even though we all want to know what happened, better we wait for the official enquiry to conclude.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am going as fast as I want.
31-05-2018, 04:41 PM
Website Find Reply