Abrupt End for Hillier During IOM TT Senior Race
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Abrupt End for Hillier During IOM TT Senior Race
[Image: HillieratStNinians.jpg]
James at St Ninians on his way to what was a disappointing end to his Senior Race

James Hillier’s campaign at the 2018 Isle of Man TT Races ended on a disappointing note this afternoon (Friday 8th June) when the Quattro Plant JG Speedfit Kawasaki rider was forced to retire from the Senior race, the final event of this year’s meeting.

The 33-year old came into the race in confident mood after taking two podiums and two other top-five finishes earlier in the week. With good conditions all around the 37.73-mile Mountain Course, the entire team was more than hopeful of another podium position.

After an ideal start James put himself in contention immediately and through Glen Helen on the first of the six-laps, nine miles into the lap and the first sector, he was holding onto fourth place, just two and a half seconds behind third placed Michael Dunlop and only four and a half seconds adrift of race leader Dean Harrison.

However, just four miles further down the road, the Hampshire rider was forced out of the race after the bike bottomed out at the Bottom of Barregarrow. Despite having had no issues through there at any other time during the fortnight, the impact on this occasion caused the sump to crack and Hillier pulled the bike up at Westwood, his race unfortunately over before it had truly got going.

Peter Hickman went on to win the race, setting a new outright lap record of 135.452mph with Dean Harrison in second and Conor Cummins third.

James Hillier said:

“I knew the pace was going to be hot today and while 134 to 135mph was probably going to be out of my reach, I felt I could have pushed for the final podium position.

“I made a conscious effort to have a real good go on the first lap and felt like I’d put a good first sector together which was borne out in the time. I was just settling into the race but when I went through the Bottom of Barregarrow, there was a big bang and a lot of smoke.

“I thought initially it may have been the tyre but it turned out the sump had cracked. I pulled in at Westwood but my race was over before it had really begun.

“It’s a real disappointing way to end the fortnight but I’ve had two podiums and two more top-five finishes so I’m happy enough and it’s been a good event. The team, as always, have done a brilliant job.”

Team Owner Pete Extance said:

“Today has been a disappointing end to what had been a really strong week for James and the Quattro Plant JG Speedfit Kawasaki team. We certainly felt that with the way James was riding a podium was a possibility and that could be seen in his time through the first sector. Unfortunately, his race ended soon after and with the way the race went, a third place would have been up for grabs.

“It was a real shame but, more importantly, James was safe after the incident and the whole team can be happy with their performances throughout the week.

“The lap times were good in all classes and James came away with two podiums, a fourth and a fifth and they’re great results for the team. We now turn attention back to the British Superbike Championship and we’ll be hoping Leon Haslam and Luke Mossey can chalk up more wins and podiums.”

Round four of the British Superbike Championship takes place at Snetterton, Norfolk from 15th to 17th June.

[Image: jgspeedfithdr.jpg]
09-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
RE: Abrupt End for Hillier During IOM TT Senior Race
On youtube under "Trouble at Barregarrow" and others are shocking - why is there only a lack of adhesion flag initially when there's litres of oil all over the line at the bottom of Barregarrow ? .. why is there a marshal waving his hands to the bikes ? you are totally committed on the approach never mind after you've tipped in at that speed, what the hell is going on there ?,  was it flagged before the bottom ? surely that should have been waved yellows right up the hill until the oil was cleared/dealt with ?.
09-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Find Reply
Owl Man Offline

Threads: 1
Have a look again on Youtube 'Barregarrow Incident' draw your own conclusions, I will hold mine at the moment!
Icon_frown Dodgy Huh Icon_exclaim
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2018, 01:13 AM by Malcolm.)
09-06-2018, 09:30 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Hi Owl, There seems to be a whole load of confusion and a load of flags/personnel right on top of the oil drop but not further back up the track at a point where a rider can scrub a load of speed off safely, the first adhesion flag is pulled out right on top of committed bikes doing 150mph+ then it's a waved yellow which if it's not flagged anywhere else up the the hill gives an already committed rider no time to do much if anything in that distance if it's only 50 yds or so from the bottom, the waved yellow is then put away and the adhesion flag brought out again, what i'm trying to get across is that a load of oil at Barregarrow bottom should have constant waved yellows a lot further back up the track than 50yds away, lobbing all the brakes on at that first flag location would see the bike stand up in a straight line, the video though is stopped a couple of times and disjointed but if it was flagged further up the hill towards or at the top then the rider of what sounds like the Norton does need a word in his ear.
09-06-2018, 11:28 PM
Find Reply
Owl Man Offline

Threads: 1
Exactly...confusion. I felt for the loan flag marshal watching the actions at the next point. In saying that 'if in doubt hang it out' flag that is. He does seem to go for a radio at some stage, why was he on his own when they seemed to be well manned further down?

Would love to know if there were flags being shown higher up, or were they just as confussed?
I hate to criticise, most marshals do a good job but they need support. I don't want to start a slanging match or start and endless debate.

I have been out of racing for 16 years and no doubt things have moved on but previously having had over 30 years of track side experience from marshal to sector marshal to chief marshal and clerk of the course I am not making my comments without concern for riders and officials.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2018, 12:33 AM by Malcolm.)
11-06-2018, 11:13 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Likewise with your words about the job the marshals do. If there's one thing i've seen in similar timescales as yours while on my bike and while spectating it's a lack of understanding at times of the physics/distance involved at the TT trying to get a very high speed machine to change direction safely never mind bring to a halt particularly at places like Barregarrow bottom where going straight on/running wide simply isn't an option. One question i'd like to ask you or other marshals - is there now a separate flag for oil on the track and water/rain on on the track ? only asking as there's a world of difference in the grip available between oil and water.
12-06-2018, 08:51 AM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 124
Re the lone guy, that's normal, a flag point controlled by the DSM at a central point in his area where the response team will be. I lone marshal on many sessions, but ONLY flags/radio. If anything happens I put flags out and remain on station in case of a second incident and to protect the response team if upstream of them.

Yes there is a separate flag for water (damp patches) and low adhesion (oil). Waved yellows is 'slow down and be prepared to stop' and should normally only be shown if there are personnel or an obstruction on the track. 

The yellow with orange stripes low adhesion flag was correctly being shown by the group of marshals though I would suggest not as prominently as it should have as the stationary flag would have been desperately difficult to see in front of a group of orange tabards. I'm GUESSING they went to waved yellows because the riders were still barrelling through. The DSM would have radioed upstream for flags from the lone guy (and possibly further up) unless the lone guy saw something that he felt necessitated the waved yellow, in which case safety first! It's difficult to judge from isolated shots on the video.

All the marshals have basic training and many such as me are incident management trained (refreshed every three years). However, you can go a couple of years without incident (I had none last year at the F of M thankfully) and to put training into practice after such a period of time in the heat of the moment at a major incident is very difficult to get it right.

They need 500 marshals for the course and it's impossible to have simulated drills etc for that many volunteers, many of whom are already giving up part of their holiday to facilitate the racing!

They are doing their best! t'ain't fun to have riders barrelling past you under waved yellows when you are trying to get a stretcher up the road to the helicopter or clearing debris and there's a lot of that goes on.
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2018, 09:44 AM by Chris_Sav.)
12-06-2018, 09:40 AM
Find Reply