Ulster GP: Fernandez fired up to break fastest female record
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Ulster GP: Fernandez fired up to break fastest female record
[Image: PatFernandez.jpg]
Taking off
The Ulster Grand Prix’s fastest woman rider Patricia Fernandez, sponsor Belfast International Airport MD Graham Keddie
and Dundrod Clerk of the Course Noel Johnston

American Patricia Fernandez says she is arriving at the MCE Ulster Grand Prix better prepared than ever and determined to break her own record as fastest ever female racer around the 7.4mile Dundrod Circuit.

The Magic Bullet Racing rider made her UGP debut in 2014 and set the new female lap record of 119.671mph on board a Superstock ZX10R Kawasaki.

"I had an amazing time at Dundrod last year and was happy to set that record," the Tulsa native said, "but like any typical racer, I wanted more. I knew I could get faster and hopefully this year, that will become reality."

Patricia is a regular Superstock 600cc rider Moto America competitor and will compete in Supersport, Superstock and Superbike races at the Ulster Grand Prix.

"Last year I had entered all the 600 and 1000cc races, but I was so drained on the Saturday, that I had to withdraw from one," she said.

"I underestimated how physically demanding it was going to be to race the 1000.

"I had only raced it on the circuits, but on the roads, I'd just not allowed for factors like the road surface and the bumps - it was hard work. This year, I'm better prepared physically, training 3-5 times a week with a personal trainer and I can honestly say I'm ready for this.

"No excuses, I want to break the 120mph barrier and if I could even manage 122 I'd go back to Oklahoma with a huge smile on my face."

Patricia was speaking at an event to launch Belfast International Airport's sponsorship of the Ultra Lightweight/Lightweight. Which takes place on Thursday 9th August, during Ulster Grand Prix Bike Week.

Patricia reckons Superbike could be her most successful class this year saying:

"All the other riders I'm gridded against are very experienced and talented and to be in the 'big boy class' is still so surreal, but definitely the most fun.

"I'm not a great qualifier and need a carrot to chase, so I look two or three rows in front of me on the grid and bullseye on someone's leathers.

"I may not know the rider personally, but they become my target in the race.

"I respect the roads and the risk that comes with riding them. I'm still on a learning curve and building up my comfort and speed every year. It's certainly a little different to circuit racing!"

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
Roy Harris
30-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Website Find Reply