Thruxton Speedbowl awaits the Irwin brothers
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Thruxton Speedbowl awaits the Irwin brothers
[Image: bewiserducatiheader.jpg]

The second half of the 2018 Bennetts British Superbike Championship season gets underway at Britain’s fastest circuit when Thruxton hosts round seven of the series this weekend and sees the Be Wiser Ducati pairing of Northern Irish brothers Glenn and Andrew Irwin back in action.

Following a solid performance at the previous round at Brands Hatch which saw 28-year-old Glenn score a superb double podium on his factory-supported Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R and 23-year-old sibling Andrew continue his rise in the BSB ranks having taken over from the team’s injured reigning and six times BSB champion Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne, the duo know the ultra-fast nature of the Hampshire track should suit their bikes.

Glenn, who scored his first PBM podium at Thruxton in 2016, currently occupies third in the standings as he looks to secure a top six Showdown place as well as his first victories of the season whereas Andrew has been a revelation since he first rode the bike for Paul Bird’s Lake District-based team back at Snetterton in June.

The track is notoriously abrasive and coupled with the high speeds, it usually means tyre wear is a major factor but with the 1199cc Ducati’s L-twin configuration, combined with high temperatures again forecast, it could well play into the hands of both Carrickfergus, County Antrim lads who are confident of a good result.

[Image: AndyIrwinpreThruxton.jpg]
Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati #2)

"I was still carrying an injury for the meeting last year so returning to Thruxton 100% fit since my first BSB podium in 2016 is something I’m really looking forward to. I’m looking to grab a brace of podiums at least this weekend to narrow the gap to the championship lead which is our ultimate goal. Thruxton should suit our bike so the plan is to get to the front and manage the tyres and if we can do that, we have a good chance of winning."

Andrew Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati #18)

"Thruxton is a track that I always enjoy going to, it’s like no other and we don’t get to test or ride at it too often so it levels everything out which gives me a better chance. I go there with the same goal which is to be back inside the top ten in both races and continue my BSB learning process. I’m really looking forward to getting back onboard the PBM Be Wiser Ducati this weekend."

There is live action on Eurosport and on the Eurosport player throughout the weekend with Datatag Qualifying on Saturday from 16.00
and the Bennetts BSB races live on Sunday at 13.30 and 16.30.

Highlights on ITV4 will be shown on Wednesday evening at 20.00.
31-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Website Find Reply