Ducati Team scores a fantastic 1-2 victory at Brno.
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Ducati Team scores a fantastic 1-2 victory at Brno.
[Image: ducatihdr.jpg]

Ducati Team scores a fantastic 1-2 victory at Brno. Andrea Dovizioso wins the Czech Grand Prix ahead of Jorge Lorenzo, second at the flag

Both Ducati Team riders put in great performances today at the Automotodrom circuit near Brno, with Andrea Dovizioso celebrating his 100th GP for Ducati by winning the Czech Grand Prix ahead of his team-mate Jorge Lorenzo, who finished a close runner-up.

The Italian rider, who started from pole position, led for 18 of the scheduled 21 laps, battling first with Rossi, then in the final stages holding off the attacks from his team-mate and Marquez and he crossed the finish-line in first place with an advantage of 178 thousandths of a second over Lorenzo. Thanks to today’s win, Dovizioso moves into third place in the Riders’ championship standings with 113 points, 68 behind leader Marquez.

It was also a great race for Jorge Lorenzo, who after powering away from the second row, was a bit behind the leading group until two-thirds of the race but he then caught the two leaders and engaged in a spectacular battle with Dovizioso and Marquez right down to the chequered flag, which he took in second place behind his team-mate. Today the Spanish rider also notched up the fastest lap of the race with a time of 1’56.640, which he set on the final lap, and he has now moved up to fifth place in the championship with 105 points.

The next event will be the Austrian Grand Prix, which will be held in one week’s time at the Red Bull Ring circuit near Zeltweg.

[Image: DucatiBrnoWin.jpg]

Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team #04) – 1st

“It was an incredible win! Before this weekend I was excited because I felt that we could do well, but I never expected such a spectacular victory. I was very quick right from the first session on Friday, yesterday I did an awesome qualifying, today in the race I had a perfect strategy, and so I’m very pleased with everything. I managed the race lap by lap, trying to interpret what was happening around me and see how the other guys were riding: I raced well without ever misusing the rear tyre and, even though I was having a bit of difficulty in the final stages, in any case I was able to fight off Jorge and Marc, who today were both really on top form.”

Jorge Lorenzo (Ducati Team #99) – 2nd

“I’m very happy about my second place but also for the team’s 1-2 result and I’m very proud about the way we were able to overturn the situation from Friday, when we were in a bit of difficulty. Bit by bit we improved the bike to make it very competitive and we found a setting and a strategy for the race that worked well. Today I managed the situation calmly, because it was vital to look after the tyres and get to the end of the race in the best possible condition in order to try and attack and play my cards. I was feeling good and the bike was very stable, but I was struggling a bit in acceleration and it was a pity because I could have fought for the win, but my pass on Marquez two laps from the end allowed Dovizioso to gain a small advantage and it wasn’t possible to pass Andrea, who did a really great race.”

Luigi Dall’Igna (Ducati Corse General Manager)

“We’re obviously very pleased, especially because unlike our closest rival, we didn’t have the advantage of having tested here in Brno and so finishing first and second is an amazing result. I believe that it clearly demonstrates the great job we’ve done to give our riders a competitive bike and I’d like to thank everyone in Ducati Corse, both back in Borgo Panigale and at the track. It was an awesome, exciting race, and both Andrea and Jorge were so good today!”

06-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Website Find Reply