Tuesday 21st August Schedule - Abandoned - Poor Weather
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Tuesday 21st August Schedule - Abandoned - Poor Weather
[Image: FOMhdr.jpg]

Tuesday Qualifying Schedule

Roads Close - 18:00 hrs Until No Later Than 21:00

18:20 ~ 19:10 - MGP Senior / MGP Junior / CTT Lightweight / CTT Superbike / Newcomers A

19:15 ~ 20:00 - CTT Junior / CTT Senior / MGP Lightweight & Ultra Lightweight / Newcomers B & C

[Image: TTradio.jpg]

Evening Practice Coverage on Manx Radio AM1368 :

Saturday 18th – Thursday 23rd August : 6pm - 9pm (Saturday coverage begins at 5pm)
(This post was last modified: 21-08-2018, 06:21 PM by Malcolm.)
17-08-2018, 05:52 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: Tuesday 21st August Schedule

Tuesday Qualifying

Detailed forecast

Issued on Tuesday, 21 August 2018 at 4:45pm by Ronaldsway Met Office

Staying dry for the rest of today and tonight with some hill fog at first and then again later in the night as the cloud thickens again bringing outbreaks of rain towards dawn.
A light to moderate south or southwest wind becoming fresh and occasionally strong overnight and with a minimum temperature of 15°C.

Updated Schedule

18.20 hrs to 19.05 hrs MGP Senior/ MGP Junior/ CTT Lightweight/ CTT Superbike (no newcomers)

19.10 hrs to 19.45 hrs CTT Junior/ CTT Senior/ MGP Lightweight & Ultra Lightweight

19.48 hrs to 20:00 hrs MGP newcomers accompanied by experienced riders

Following a course inspection, Clerk of the Course Gary Thompson has confirmed that tonight's qualifying session for the Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix will go ahead, running to Monday's timetable.

Conditions all round the course have improved and although there is currently poor visibility between the Bungalow and Keppel Gate, this is expected to improve by the time roads are due to close at 6pm.

18:05 - CofC announced there will be a Delay to the start  - Now at 18:45

[Image: MountainTuesdayTea.jpg]
The Bungalow at 18:10 hrs.

18:20 hrs - Tonights session ABANDONED

This evening’s Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix qualifying session has been called off due to continued low and mist that has covered the course earlier than anticipated.

Tomorrow’s (Wednesday) qualifying programme will now be as follows:

18.00 - Roads close around the course

18.20 - 19.05 MGP Senior/ MGP Junior/ CTT Lightweight/ CTT Superbike (no newcomers)

19.10 - 19.45 CTT Junior/ CTT Senior/ MGP Lightweight & Ultra Lightweight

19.48 - 20.00 MGP newcomers accompanied by experienced riders

In addition, Clerk of the Course Gary Thompson has confirmed that the race organisation will now use the additional qualifying session on the afternoon of Thursday 23rd August, which was provisionally scheduled in the race authorisation. This will mean that there will be two qualifying sessions on Thursday 23rd to ensure that the riders have enough time to practice before the first scheduled race day on Saturday 25th August.

Thursday’s qualifying programme will see roads close around the course at 12.30pm with the first qualifying session running from 1pm to 3.55pm. The roads will then open again at 4.30pm around the course and close again at 6pm for the scheduled evening qualifying session.

[Image: CofCOStatementonFbook.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 21-08-2018, 08:04 PM by Malcolm.)
21-08-2018, 11:12 AM
Website Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Tuesday 21st August Schedule - Abandoned - Poor Weather
I suspect they're going to need the Thursday and Friday afternoon sessions this year.

=======================================================================
See you on the island
21-08-2018, 06:30 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
So the newcomers are 2 days into the meeting with no track time, sorry I know people have/want to get home but this scenario only puts undue pressure on everybody involved when practice is boxed off to the evenings, does anybody know why we can't have sessions between say midday and 4pm on a couple of days as well as the evening practice reagrdless of cancellations ?.
21-08-2018, 06:56 PM
Find Reply
serowmaster Offline

Threads: 4
whats wrong with bringing back early morning practice ?

GETTING OLD IS MANDATORY FEELING OLD IS OPTIONAL smilie
21-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Clerk of the course has said likely Thursday afternoon and evening practice to try and catch up.

I too think it's a good idea to have some kind of daytime sessions, even a couple of hours late morning would be minimal disruption.

See you on the island
21-08-2018, 07:15 PM
Find Reply
serowmaster Offline

yes it would be worth a try especially with all the time they have lost up to now

(This post was last modified: 21-08-2018, 07:21 PM by serowmaster.)
21-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Find Reply
BRADDAN OAK Offline

Threads: 21
WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO GET ALL THESE MARSHALS FROM FOR THESE EXTRA PRACTISE SESSIONS?

THEY ARE STRUGGLING NOW.

21-08-2018, 07:21 PM
Find Reply
serowmaster Offline

agreed that would be a problem

21-08-2018, 07:25 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
(21-08-2018, 06:56 PM)Alfie Noakes Wrote: So the newcomers are 2 days into the meeting with no track time, sorry I know people have/want to get home but this scenario only puts undue pressure on everybody involved when practice is boxed off to the evenings, does anybody know why we can't have sessions between say midday and 4pm on a couple of days as well as the evening practice reagrdless of cancellations ?.

I suspect it's finding the volunteers to do those sessions which would be the main issue. A lot of the volunteers I encounter when I go over tend to be locals most of whom I suspect have work in the daytime.
21-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

(21-08-2018, 07:10 PM)serowmaster Wrote: whats wrong with bringing back early morning practice ?

For those of you who may not have read the old Early Morning Practice article that appeared here in 2010 and then again in 2015, here is a link to it. ( HERE - pdf file )

Just a bit of light hearted reading in view of what has happened over the past few days, and sadly such early morning activities may never be seen again. 

Malcolm
21-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
I would happily pay good money to see one early morning practice session to be held at each event, it was the most surreal, atmospheric part of racing at The manx and TT, even the more busy TT back then had so much practice that as a rider if you missed a session it didn't matter as there was loads of practice available and there was much less pressure on you and the crew. Maybe it's time that the TT / MGP / FoM events this size now were not so reliant on the fab job that the marshal volunters do - does anybody know if other bigger motorsport events are volunteer based ?
21-08-2018, 09:30 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

I agree with alfie above.....

I too think a return to some morning sessions would take a lot of pressure off.

I see we're on a delay to the already under pressure session for tonight. An RTA at guthries apparently.

I can see a disrupted race schedule coming here. With the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if Saturday ends up a practice day and racing Sunday (although, weather for Sunday is very dodgy) or Monday and Tuesday.

See you on the island
22-08-2018, 06:48 PM
Find Reply