Savadori and Laverty take solid points finish from Race 2 at Portimao
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Savadori and Laverty take solid points finish from Race 2 at Portimao
[Image: milwaukeehdr.jpg]

After the disappointment of Race 1 which saw record-breaking pole sitter Eugene taken out by another rider and Lorenzo crash, Milwaukee Aprilia were prepared for a tough fightback on Sunday.

Due to their DNFs Eugene and Lorenzo lined up P10 and P11 respectively in the thick of the midfield action. At the start both riders lost out to Camier behind who took P9. A mechanical issue for him however dropped him out of the running, Lorenzo passing him at the start of Lap 2 with Eugene following.

They ran together before a retirement for Razgatlioglu ahead promoted everyone from P7. They then chased down Baz in seventh, Lorenzo passing on Lap 8 and Eugene following suit on Lap 12 to take P8.

Lorenzo began to create gap to his teammate, closing in fast on Rinaldi. With four laps left he made a passing move which stuck, and was gearing up to fight Sykes for P5 before deciding to manage a front vibration problem and consolidate his finishing position of P6. Eugene had a lonely end of the race, chasing Rinaldi and passing him at the death on the last lap to come home P7 behind his teammate.

With a weekend result that is not representative of the strong progress and development the team have made in recent rounds, Milwaukee Aprilia continue to push hard for more podium finishes with both riders as the season enters its final three races.

Round 11 of the WorldSBK championship takes place at the Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours in France, 28-30 September.

[Image: MIlwaukeeatPortimao.jpg]

Shaun Muir - Team Principal

"It was a long difficult race today. The track temperature was a little higher than yesterday which hurt Lorenzo particularly, he couldn’t reproduce the full speed he had yesterday.

It was a missed opportunity perhaps, but we consolidated yesterday’s problems and DNFs with two good points positions. We were only 11 seconds off the front at the end, we’d like to close that down and we had the pace to be top 4. The starting position today hurt us and it took us too long to pass Rinaldi and Baz, and we paid the price for it.

We had good form at Magny-Cours last year, the weather was pretty changeable but there is a good base for us to work from for that weekend. We needed the races today to give each rider back their confidence, and I expect to see them fighting from the start of FP1."

Lorenzo Savadori #32 - Aprilia RSV4-RF : Race 2 grid: P11 - Row 4 :  Race 2 result: P6 - 10 points :  Total weekend points: 10

"When you start a race in P11 it’s never a good position to be in, but scoring points was a good result for us. I had a good start but I struggled a little at the beginning to pass. I finally made it up to P6 and I thought I could challenge Sykes for P5, but I started to get a strange vibration in the front which we need to investigate.

It was then really difficult for me to keep the bike stable for the rest of the race, and I must also change something in my style for arrival and exit of the corners to improve this. I lost a bit of time fighting with Rinaldi and we must also work to be quicker passing riders at the start of the race, to make progress quicker.

I hope to continue our development at Magny-Cours, and I hope we are closer to the podium ad big points. We were not far off this weekend and of course Eugene was quick too which is good for the team, so for sure I think we can have a good round."

Eugene Laverty #50 - Aprilia RSV4-RF : Race 2 grid: P10 - Row 4 :  Race 2 result: P7 - 9 points :  Total weekend points: 9

"The race was really tough. The guys I was battling with had so much rear grip and suddenly it got difficult. It felt like I was riding on ice and I was so gentle getting off the brakes and touching the gas. Opening it up 100% was so difficult and it just didn’t feel like I was really racing the bike.

We know that our bike is good now and this track is quite slippy; anywhere where the rear tyre life drops off we struggle. I can’t make the rear push quite as much as Lorenzo who’s bigger, but that is something we will address in Magny-Cours.

Not having race data from yesterday definitely hurt us in the race today. Qualifying was a great feeling but I knew we still had to push hard in the races. I had some fantastic laps this weekend where I didn’t even have to work hard, so the aim is to get that feeling again next round.”

17-09-2018, 09:22 AM
Website Find Reply