New Imperial 1932
lascarluvr Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
New Imperial 1932
If there is anyone around from the old IOM TT forum, I just wanted to let you know that I went to the Classic TT in 2016 and went to Governor's where the photo of my Dad was taken in 1932. 

https://www.iomtt.com/home/forum/showpost?PostID=297786
17-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
RE: New Imperial 1932
Some of us are still around.
I'm pleased that you visited the Isle of Man. It's a little sad that the iconic hairpin bend is massively changed from that day in 1932 (?) when your father posed for the photo, but at least it still IS part of the TT course.
Your father must have been quite well to do, as 1932 was at a time when the Depression was biting really hard. Not many folk were buying brand new New Imperials at that time.
Great photo!
17-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Find Reply
lascarluvr Offline
Just Getting Started

Sadly, he wasn't well off! He was a bus driver, although started by delivering parcels on a horse-drawn cart! So, he either bought it second-hand, or maybe even borrowed it. He always had bikes back then, and did a lot of off road too.
People think it was 1932 from the banners, and the bike was probably 1931?

It was very different, of course, over eighty years later, but still recognisable. I was very emotional.
Do you know if I can post photos here? I could see an icon for film but when I clicked it was for adding a video.

Thank you!
Smile
17-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Find Reply
lascarluvr Offline
Just Getting Started

Hope this works; looks like the same year?

https://www.imuseum.im/search/archive_re...ed=0&pos=0
17-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Another great photo. Walter Handley was  one of the "crack" riders of the day (an expression used in those days).
First man to win two TTs in a week, I think it was 1925, the defunct Ultra Lightweight 175 class and the Junior.
That New Imperial must have cost between £50 and £60 new, and with a skilled man's wages at £2.50pw, there wouldn't have been many on the Island that week. Sorry....I didn't mean to be dismissive of your father's buying powers!

I can imagine that it was very emotional for you to visit that exact spot. I still get very emotional every time I visit the Island.
It has that effect on folk.......
17-09-2018, 03:36 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
I'm another one from the old forum. Not many of us left now. It's shame.

Pleased you got over. Indeed it is an emotional place to visit. 50 years since my first visit to the island and over 40 since my first TT. Still remember my fist sight of a bike appearing at Kate's and whizzing down towards us. Back in the day when you could sit on the banking at the exit to the Creg. Mick Grant and the big green 2 stroke.
18-09-2018, 03:28 PM
Find Reply
lascarluvr Offline
Just Getting Started

(17-09-2018, 03:36 PM)Splashdown Wrote: Another great photo. Walter Handley was  one of the "crack" riders of the day (an expression used in those days).
First man to win two TTs in a week, I think it was 1925, the defunct Ultra Lightweight 175 class and the Junior.
That New Imperial must have cost between £50 and £60 new, and with a skilled man's wages at £2.50pw, there wouldn't have been many on the Island that week. Sorry....I didn't mean to be dismissive of your father's buying powers!

I can imagine that it was very emotional for you to visit that exact spot. I still get very emotional every time I visit the Island.
It has that effect on folk.......

I hope to return one day, we were only there for four nights, which wasn't enough! We did pack a lot in though.
Smile
18-09-2018, 03:44 PM
Find Reply
lascarluvr Offline
Just Getting Started

(18-09-2018, 03:28 PM)Smokin Haddock Racing Wrote: I'm another one from the old forum.  Not many of us left now.  It's shame.

Pleased you got over.  Indeed it is an emotional place to visit.  50 years since my first visit to the island and over 40 since my first TT.  Still remember my fist sight of a bike appearing at Kate's and whizzing down towards us.  Back in the day when you could sit on the banking at the exit to the Creg.  Mick Grant and the big green 2 stroke.

It's a special place. I can't wait to go back. Nothing else like it. Must be fantastic to be there in May. One of these years.....
18-09-2018, 03:48 PM
Find Reply