Glenn Irwin 'really happy' after JG Speedfit Kawasaki debut in Spain
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Glenn Irwin 'really happy' after JG Speedfit Kawasaki debut in Spain
[Image: GlenIrwinTestingonKwacker.jpg]

Glenn Irwin made his debut on the JG Speedfit Kawasaki at Guadix on Wednesday as the Bennetts British Superbike rider commenced a two-day test at the Spanish circuit.

The Carrick man, third in the championship this season after competing in the Showdown for the first time, has joined the title-winning team after three seasons on the PBM Be Wiser Ducati.

Irwin was brought in as a replacement for outgoing BSB champion Leon Haslam, who will return to the World Superbike Championship in 2019 alongside Jonathan Rea in the Kawasaki Racing Team.

Although he was riding a four cylinder machine for the first time since competing at the Sunflower Trophy meeting at Bishopscourt in County Down in 2015, Irwin said he immediately felt comfortable on the Kawasaki ZX-10RR.

“It’s been really good to get onto the bike and the last time I rode a four cylinder was the Gearlink Kawasaki at the Sunflower in 2015,” said the 28-year-old, who is joined at the test by new team-mate Ben Currie.

“That was a 600, so it was very different at the beginning but I immediately felt comfortable on the bike – bike position, body position – it felt really natural.

“I have to get used to a slightly different gear pattern than where I would have been on the twin, but as the day progressed, we managed to get through a load of electronics strategies and started to play with the chassis a little bit.”

Irwin’s main priority is getting track miles under his belt during his first test with the team, which concludes today at Guadix.

He added:

“Predominantly, it’s been about getting laps and I think I did nearly 80 laps, so I’m really, really happy with that and the forecast looks quite good for tomorrow (Thursday), with perhaps a little rain in the evening.

“Hopefully we get a lot of work done before that arrives and end the test on a high. The lads have been mega to work with as well and I couldn’t wish to be in a better position; we have a lot of focus and motivation for 2019.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White

08-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Glenn Irwin 'really happy' after JG Speedfit Kawasaki debut in Spain
[Image: GlenIrwinTestingonKwacker2.jpg]

This bike is phenomenal - I can't wait to get going in 2019

Glenn Irwin says his debut test on the JG Speedfit Kawasaki has left him counting the days until the 2019 Bennetts British Superbike Championship roars into life.

The Carrick man completed a two-day shakedown at Guadix in Spain on Thursday on the ZX-10RR along with team-mate Ben Currie.

Irwin, third in the championship this season after competing in the Showdown for the first time, has joined the title-winning team after three seasons on the PBM Be Wiser Ducati.

The 28-year-old was brought in as a replacement for outgoing BSB champion Leon Haslam, who will return to the World Superbike Championship next year alongside Jonathan Rea in the Kawasaki Racing Team. Irwin, who was riding a four cylinder machine for the first time since competing at the Sunflower Trophy meeting at Bishopscourt in County Down in 2015, said:

“It’s been a really good two days and yesterday we got through 79 laps and we didn’t worry about going ultra-fast because the track is pretty green.

“It’s just me and Ben (Currie) here and there’s not a lot of rubber down, but today we done another 79 laps on the button and we managed to go fast, which I’m happy about; a lot faster than I’ve ever been here before.

“Anything I’ve asked for from the bike or any changes that we have done together, whether it be chassis or electronics, I’ve been able to understand and give the correct feedback,”

he added.

“The guys are working well with me and I’m over the moon – the ZX-10RR is a phenomenal bike to ride and I can’t wait to get going.”

Irwin will now take a few weeks’ off before knuckling down to begin training in earnest as he steps up his preparations for a big year ahead.

He said:

“I almost wish that I didn’t have this test because now I know how good this bike is and this winter break is going to be long, but I’ve couple of weeks off now.

“I’ll have a couple of beers with the boys tonight and before Christmas we’ll put our down and get super-fit. I’m really excited now because this is a bike that I feel really at home on.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White
09-11-2018, 07:53 PM
Website Find Reply