Michael Dunlop confirms 'multiple breaks' after Southern 100 crash
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Michael Dunlop confirms 'multiple breaks' after Southern 100 crash
[Image: MickyDInjuryS100.jpg]

Michael Dunlop revealed he suffered a broken pelvis and other fractures following Thursday's crash during the Southern 100 in the Isle of Man.

The 30-year-old from Ballymoney said: "After breaking my pelvis and multiple breaks and bruises I'm back on my feet again."

He was pictured with a walking frame after signing himself out of Nobles Hospital yesterday morning after crashing at Castletown Corner as he chased Man of the Meeting Dean Harrison on the second lap of the Island Aggregates Senior race.

The 19-times TT winner must now be considered a major doubt for the fonaCAB Ulster Grand Prix where racing takes place at the Dundrod Circuit on August 8 and 9. Dunlop had been carrying shoulder and wrist injuries since a crash during testing prior to the North West 200, which he openly admitted held him back during the TT. Then a crash during the Donegal International Rally before the Southern 100 aggravated those injuries and now another injury that will require rest could very well end his season.

On the road racing scene, TT champion Lee Johnston has confirmed that he will ride the Ashcourt Racing Yamaha R6, which he won the opening Supersport race on in the Isle of Man, at the return of racing to Oliver's Mount, Scarborough in the Barry Sheene Classic meeting on July 27-28.

It has also been confirmed that the Maguiresbridge rider will compete on the Davies Motorsport Honda in the Junior and Senior Classic TT races next month, joining last years Junior winner Dominic Herbertson.

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
Roy Harris

[Image: MickyDwithWalker.jpg]

Michael Dunlop MD Racing

"Folks after signing himself out and braking his pelvis plus multiple brakes and bruises he’s on his feet again"

(This post was last modified: 13-07-2019, 01:09 PM by Malcolm.)
13-07-2019, 12:56 PM
Website Find Reply
Yamaham Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Michael Dunlop confirms 'multiple breaks' after Southern 100 crash
I know Michael Dunlop can split opinions of race fans, but I do feel for the guy. In the toughest period of his career he isn't getting much luck! Hardly any bike time in the past 12 months, he will be desperate to prove he can still mix at the top, yet it appears his season could be over. I don't know what he'll be riding next year but I think he needs to get a regular ride in some class in the BSB championship, ala Hickman and Harrison, if he's to be bridging the gap to those two on the roads next year. Time will tell I suppose.
14-07-2019, 01:04 PM
Find Reply
BrianW Offline

Threads: 1
I am not a great fan of Michael, but I too feel sorry for him, the racing gods appear to have deserted him this year, if he comes back next year I hope he will have better luck.
15-07-2019, 09:57 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
Despite Michael suffering personal tragedy and being hampered with other issues over the last year such as injury, late arrivals of machinery and lack of track time I don't think he's that far off Hickman or Harrison in truth, he was literally a gnats away from a 134 at the TT in 2016 while slowing down for the pits so on a flyer I'd have said he's easily capable of a 135. Either way I just hope the guy takes a break and gets better and makes a decision on his future in his own time, I just hope if he does come back that he does so for the right reasons and not because he feels like he has to. This young man has racked up 19 TT wins in a decade, that's an astounding strike rate, especially when you consider how many models of machine he's done it on too, he's already assured of legendary status.
15-07-2019, 11:46 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
Well put I totally agree with you. I`m a big Michael Dunlop fan.
16-07-2019, 06:52 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
Me too. Especially after reading his book.
(This post was last modified: 16-07-2019, 11:14 AM by Malcolm.)
16-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Find Reply