History in the making
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
History in the making
[Image: MGPBlackLogo.jpg]

The Clerk of the Course has just announced that Friday Race day will now be brought forward to Thursday

If for any instance, the weather on Thursday ends up with the days racing being cancelled, then today will be the last day of the 2019 MGP Racing.

In effect, Friday will be lost and NO racing will be able to take place on that day.
28-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Website Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 71
RE: History in the making
That's what I call a smart move Gary Thompson and his team deserve a round of applause.
28-08-2019, 11:43 AM
Find Reply
numptydad Offline

Threads: 6
I imagine Gary will be glad to see the back of 2019, and be able to spend more time with his remaining hair.  Such a professional, always calm, he even takes time to go to the Manx Radio Commentary box.

He deserves a knighthood to add to his MBE and BEM, he's led an eventful life, his biography would be most interesting
28-08-2019, 12:42 PM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 132
Have been able to see naff all throughout today on the Bungalow webcams, they certainly made the right call by racing on Thursday.

Brave decision!
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
30-08-2019, 04:17 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
Great move.

Is it correct that a change to the road closing order was required to move race days forward?

It's a sensible option in my opinion, it makes the TT, Classic and mgp a lot more flexible in the future.

=======================================================================
See you on the island
01-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
I was a bit puzzled by the statement of "if we close roads on Thursday we can't on Friday" because if for example the Wednesday programme had been pushed to Thursday due to weather we would still have had Friday's race day as normal, we have in the past, although as per forecast the weather on Friday was pants so it would have been cancelled anyway!!
01-09-2019, 11:01 PM
Find Reply
ian333 Offline

Very confusing. We have always been told for the TT that a race day cannot be brought forward. Rumour went around at TT 16 that Thursday was being considered to run the senior. Paul Phillips tweeted it was not allowed per road closing order. Maybe something has changed.

MGP did have the option to push Friday’s race to Saturday this year just like the TT does every year (not sure what the weather forecast was).

Either way, given the lack of appetite for sending bikes out on a wet track, the organizers need every ounce of flexibility for getting practice and racing in. TT is a slightly different animal with their commercial considerations - would be interesting to see if the same call is made at TT20 with a bad Friday forecast.
02-09-2019, 12:50 AM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

I just had a quick look and the Road Races Act was updated just after TT in 2016, this may be when the changes happened.
02-09-2019, 07:24 AM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 393
I think, as Malcolm points out with the road closure post (http://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/showthre...?tid=28458) the roads can be closed any time during that order. I presume this is applied for well in advance & has to be agreed by all.
Also, in that order details it does say "...on one Sunday only...." during either races. Don't know why that would be?
Also, it says "....Festival of Motorcycling, previously known as the Manx Grand Prix....", so there we have it, official word.
02-09-2019, 09:12 AM
Website Find Reply