MMCC and enterprise dept to discuss Manx Grand Prix
Nasher Offline

Threads: 31
RE: MMCC and enterprise dept to discuss Manx Grand Prix
Some interesting points made here, on what seems to me an immensely complicated, multi facetted, subject

Passion for the Manx Grand Prix runs extremely high amongst it's fans (this is a good thing) but there is a need to ensure that visitor numbers are kept up, in order for the events to make financial sense - this, for me, is where issues will always need addressing to keep an event viable

When on the Island I am always careful to use the phrase 'Manx Grand Prix' but back on the mainland I call it 'The Classic TT'
My rationale for what must seem to some die hard fans an act of treason is simple: when I say 'I'm going to the Classic TT' most people know or work out that it is a TT for old bikes on the Isle of Man - when I say 'I'm going to the Manx Grand Prix' they look puzzled and have little idea of what it is or where it's held (some think it is a car rally)
Given that the Classic TT has been running for 6 years & the Manx Grand Prix for 96 years, there is clearly some marketing required. The fact that The Classic TT had television coverage at it's inauguration may have something to do with it, alongside the use of the "TT" bit!
For completeness, I should mention that I never use, what I believe, is the terrible expression 'festival of motorcycling' - yuk!

Another point to be considered, is that holiday trends have changed. With people now taking more shorter breaks rather than the traditional 2 week holuday. This lends itself to a 4 day 'event' being an atrractive option for many, something that I am sure was thought of by those who set up the Classic TT.
Consideration in this also needs to be given to the issue of transporting people to & from an island. It is easy to see that many people leave the main TT early in race week in order to get back to work on a Monday, their early departure based on a lack of ferry/plane space

Enough of me droning on! I've barely touched the surface of the subject, but I will add that many of the people I know, who regularly attend the event, go there solely as a classic bike event and aren't that bothered about any of the racing

By all means hark back to the 'good old days' but remember that times change, the World moves on and events such as the Manx Grand Prix need to evolve in order to be sustainable

To end on a positive note, despite the weather, I had a great time & have booked for next year - bring it on
08-09-2019, 10:15 AM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: MMCC and enterprise dept to discuss Manx Grand Prix - by Nasher - 08-09-2019, 10:15 AM