Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RINS AND MIR MAKE SEVENTH AND EIGHTH IN MOTEGI
[Image: suzukiecstarlogo.jpg]

Alex Rins: 7th (+ 9.306)
Joan Mir: 8th (+ 10.695)
Sylvain Guintoli: 20th (+ 50.235)

• Alex Rins keeps pushing on to take 7th.
• Joan Mir continues positive run of form with 8th.
• Team thank Suzuki for super support at home GP.

Team SUZUKI ECSTAR’s riders headed into the 16th race of the season keen to put on a strong performance in front of Motegi’s home fans. Joan Mir and Alex Rins opted for the medium-medium tyre combination in the cooler conditions and took steady starts off the line.

By the end of the first lap, Mir had already placed himself inside the Top 10, and his team-mate followed just a couple of laps later. From that point on, Rins began to carve through and before long he was up into 7th place. Mir, meanwhile, was firmly holding onto his spot within the Top 10.

With 10 laps to go, Alex had made a move on Miller for 6th spot and was looking to close down the Top 5. But as the complex race unfolded a new battle emerged between Morbidelli, Crutchlow, and Rins. Despite his desire to push on for a Top 5 finish, Alex crossed the line in 7th. However, with this result, he holds onto to third in the championship standings.

Mir lost time while battling for positions, but he was still able to finish one spot behind his team-mate in 8th place - another consistent result for the rookie who is building in confidence all the time.

Sylvain Guintoli brought his GSX-RR home in 20th place on his final wildcard run of the year, gaining useful information for the team.

Ken Kawauchi - Technical Manager:

“Alex did a lot of overtakes today but in the end he had to settle for 7th place, it was a difficult race. Joan also did well today with another good result. Both riders had a lot of potential today, but they couldn’t quite get the finishes they wanted. Of course, we will work hard and try to find a way to improve and be ready for next weekend. Thanks also to Sylvain and the test team who have helped us here.”

Davide Brivio - Team Manager:

“Alex and Joan did a good race. Today it was difficult to finish higher than they did, because starting from 11th and 12th on the grid made it tricky. But they both recovered well, and their pace was actually very good. We know we have to pace so we just need to try again next time. This result is consistent, and we’re pleased. Sylvain got a lot of information for us too. Thank you to everyone from the factory who has been visiting us and supporting us this weekend.”

[Image: Rins&MirMotegiRace.jpg]

Alex Rins:

“I lost out a lot off the start, I really made a bad get away. But it was like that and there was nothing I could do apart from try to recoup positions. I stayed calm and focused and I was able to improve and move up the order. I was fighting with Crutchlow a lot and I’m disappointed that I finished behind him, because I felt I had potential for Top 5 but in the end we ran out of laps. I’m pleased to hold onto 3rd place in the standings, and it has been fantastic to be in Japan. Thank you to Mr. Toshihiro Suzuki for being with us all weekend and giving us a lot of support.”

Joan Mir:

“I’m really happy about my weekend in general, and my race. Although I didn’t improve my position compared with Thailand, I feel I have taken another step in terms of performance. All weekend I’ve felt good with the bike and I know I’m getting closer to the podium and the top guys. I lost a lot of time today while I tried to pass Petrucci and that was a shame because I felt I could’ve done even better and closed the others. Anyway, it’s been amazing to be here in Japan for the first time as a Suzuki rider and to ride in front of the fans, and especially the President.”

Sylvain Guintoli:

“This weekend has been good. I really enjoyed FP3 in the wet and I felt so good on the bike. During the race we focused on gaining as much useful information as possible, and everything went OK. After a difficult start I settled into a consistent rhythm. I’m pleased to have been with the team for this home GP.”

GP of Japan - Race Classification:

1. Marc MARQUEZ Repsol Honda Team 42'41.492
2. Fabio QUARTARARO Petronas Yamaha SRT +0.870
3. Andrea DOVIZIOSO Ducati Team +1.325
4. Maverick VIÑALES Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP +2.608
5. Cal CRUTCHLOW LCR Honda CASTROL +9.140
6. Franco MORBIDELLI Petronas Yamaha SRT +9.187
7. Alex RINS Team SUZUKI ECSTAR +9.306
8. Joan MIR Team SUZUKI ECSTAR +10.695
9. Danilo PETRUCCI Ducati Team +14.216
10. Jack MILLER Pramac Racing +18.909
11. Pol ESPARGARO Red Bull KTM Factory Racing +25.554