HONDA RACING SIGN GLENN IRWIN & DAVEY TODD FOR TT 2020
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
HONDA RACING SIGN GLENN IRWIN & DAVEY TODD FOR TT 2020
[Image: TThdr.jpg]

Honda (UK) has confirmed a return to the Isle of Man TT Races as the Honda Racing team with a new rider line-up of Glenn Irwin and Davey Todd, who will contest the RST Superbike and Senior TT Races and RL360 Superstock TT classes aboard the all-new CBR1000RR-R Fireblade SP.

Glenn will also represent Honda Racing in the British Superbike Championship, joining his brother Andrew, while Davey will contest the National Superstock 1000 Championship, as the Louth-based team look to secure both titles.

Although a newcomer to the Isle of Man TT Races, Glenn Irwin is certainly no stranger to the road racing scene where he’s had a string of successes at the North West 200 in Northern Ireland. Having made his debut in in 2016, the Carrickfergus man took his maiden victory in the final Superbike race one year later. He went one better in 2018 to secure both Superbike wins, and again in 2019 he won and came second in the feature races.

Glenn had a mixed season in the 2019 British Superbike Championship, but in 2018 he finished third in the championship and took his debut BSB win at the final round. Throughout that year he enjoyed regular visits to the podium securing five second place finishes and one third place.

A relative newcomer to road racing, Davey Todd has continued to impress since embarking on his first full road-race campaign in 2018. A year earlier he made his debut at the Ulster Grand Prix, where he placed second in the Dundrod 150 National race.

Consistency was key at the North West 200 where he was crowned top newcomer, but it was at the TT where the 24-year-old really made his mark, lapping the Mountain Circuit at 127.890mph and becoming the second fastest newcomer in the history of the event.

In his second year in road racing, Davey secured his maiden North West 200 win in the Supersport class and also came third in the Superstock race. Meanwhile at the TT he continued to learn the circuit and completed race week with five top-ten finishes.

Away from road racing he has enjoyed time in the National Superstock 600 Championship, finishing sixth overall in 2016.

2020 is certainly shaping up to be an exciting year for the Honda Racing team, with a fresh rider line-up, Honda (UK) taking back responsibility for the road racing campaign and the arrival of the all-new 2020 Honda CBR1000RR-R Fireblade, there’s a lot to be excited about. The team will take delivery of the new Fireblade at the end of the year, with a full test schedule set to take place early in the New Year.

[Image: Irwin&ToddwithHonda.jpg]

Glenn Irwin:

"I guess it’s natural to be excited to join Honda, but I really am! I got a taste for the team at the end of this season with Andrew and got to see the structure and the atmosphere in the garage, it’s an experienced team and to be associated with a brand like Honda, is a dream come true.”

He continued:

“I’m enjoying doing the homework for the TT and learning it, there’s no expectations whatsoever, we’re not going there to win in year one, the place requires a lot of respect and time and that’s what we’ll give it. It’s a privilege to make my debut there on the new Fireblade as a lot of people will be wanting to see it in action, so I have to prepare the best I can for the most professional and safe job in my first year.”

Davey Todd:

“I am really excited to sign for Honda Racing for the 2020 season. We all know Honda’s history and I grew up watching the factory team and that’s what got me into racing, and it’s been a lifelong dream to ride for Honda. The 2020 Fireblade looks incredible and after seeing it I am more excited that I was before - if that’s even possible! I also want to thank Havier and Honda Racing for giving me this opportunity on the roads and also in the National Superstock 1000 Championship, having that belief in me really means a lot and I can’t wait to get started!

Havier Beltran, Honda Racing Team Manager:

"I am very excited about how next year is shaping up, for sure there’s a huge buzz with the new Fireblade, which we’re all very excited to get our hands on, but also Honda (UK) taking back the road racing programme. With the riders we have for the year, I think we’re in for some good results both on the roads and in the British championship. Davey and Glenn are both new to us on the roads, but they have definitely made their marks and impressed in their careers to date.”

Neil Fletcher, Head of Motorcycles, Honda UK:

“Racing is in the blood at Honda, so we’re delighted to be expanding our motorsport activities under Honda (UK). Armed with a new rider line-up and of course the all new CBR1000RR-R Fireblade SP, the team will be looking to have a great year in both the circuit and road racing programme. I can’t wait to see how our racing campaign unfolds, bring on 2020.”

20-11-2019, 12:13 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: HONDA RACING SIGN GLENN IRWIN & DAVEY TODD FOR TT 2020
Big mistake in my opinion ref Irwin at the TT.
Time will tell.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
20-11-2019, 01:25 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
So Honda will have 2 brothers in MotoGP and 2 brothers in BSB next year!
20-11-2019, 01:56 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
Why a big mistake?
20-11-2019, 02:20 PM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
Well done Honda, much appreciated. 

Kilbil
20-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(20-11-2019, 02:20 PM)eman1948 Wrote: Why a big mistake?

Doing it for the wrong reasons = money.
He had previously stated that he thought it was to dangerous and he would not do it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
21-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
It's the perfect time to go and make my TT bow, says Irwin

Carrickfergus ace Glenn Irwin will make his Isle of Man TT debut next year after declaring that all the pieces have fallen into place.

Irwin will represent Honda Racing at both the TT and North West 200 in 2020, while also joining younger brother Andrew as a team-mate in next year's British Superbike Championship.

"I've always been highly interested in the TT and now everything has come together for me," said Irwin. "I feel I've matured a lot and I like how Honda are going to go about it."

The 29-year-old has been a regular visitor to the TT and completed a parade lap of the Mountain Course at the Isle of Man Festival of Motorcycling in August.

"I've had to learn the TT circuit as, having grown up in Northern Ireland, I don't know it in the same way as I know the North West 200 and Ulster Grand Prix courses which I have been round so many times since I was a child," said Irwin.

"What impressed me about what the Honda team had to offer was a vision and a plan.

"When you go road racing you have to be comfortable in your surroundings and know the bike, so I believe this is the right deal for me at this stage of my career."

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
21-11-2019, 01:03 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

He needs to re-read his own old Twitter posts.

22-11-2019, 03:59 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
Top line BSB rider comes to the TT what's not to like?
Warning Level 0% since 2006
22-11-2019, 11:44 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(22-11-2019, 11:44 PM)Sam Pato Wrote: Top line BSB rider comes to the TT what's not to like?

I would question the first part of your sentence, its also assuming he hasn't spat his dummy by then, and be with another team who dont want to do the TT.

22-11-2019, 11:56 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
I've got no issue with the lad wanting to do the TT but I don't like seeing newcomers in factory outfits, Davey Todd has had a couple of very impressive years in non-factory outfits and I think deserves his chance but not Irwin, it's a shame lads like Sam West and Jamie Coward who have done the apprenticeship and are knocking on the door for top results get overlooked.
23-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Find Reply
harveymushman Offline

Threads: 1
Lets be honest Honda are a joke and "Harvey" Beltran doesnt have the gravitas or corporate savvy to convince anyone that he can lead them out of the rut. Hes been around Honda for a lifetime but is a lightwieght - They need to have a root and branch review and get some top people involved and maybe big H can move forward
04-01-2020, 12:22 AM
Find Reply