I need some help.....
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
I need some help.....
I need some help from all my friends everywhere this is a bit long winded but I could do with your E mail support !!!!
As well as competing in the 2015 Manx Newcomers at the age of 64 I also like to try and set national level speed records on my scooters. since my first records meeting in 1991 I have always wanted to have a go at setting a FIM world record and thought that 2019 was my chance.

This was until I found out that the FIM had added/moved a section in the scooter description in the regulations that made my and all geared scooters unable to set records. Since then I have been in contact with the FIM and have requested that they change the description back to how it was in 2018 to make geared scooters acceptable again.

There is another meeting next week and below is an extract from my last received E mail.

First: your's is a single request. In the last 20 years we have had scooter attempts, however no requests for such type operated vehicles (even before the rules were changed to CVT only).

Second, after review, there has not been any request or support from the scooter industry or from other participants. And third and equal important: no Organiser has asked to consider a vehicle of your type/construction. If this was the case, it could aid and provide a stronger position to warrant a change.

Our next meeting is on 15-16 February. After this date, we will provide you with a reply.

Extract from 2018 FIM records manual. Section 1.19

Group A1 Solo Motorcycles  
 2-wheel vehicles making only one (1) track on the ground, and:  
•  Solo Motorcycles – Single cylinder (according to the class capacities, up to 1000cc maximum), Division A and B. 
•  Solo Motorcycles – Two cylinders (according to the class capacities, up to 3000cc maximum), Division A and B.  
•  Solo Motorcycles – More than two cylinders (according to the class capacities, up to 3000cc maximum), Division A and B.
 Group A2 Scooters    A scooter is a motorized 2-wheel vehicle produced in large quantities by the original manufacturer with a minimum of 2000 units registered by the manufacturer and found in the manufacturers’ and dealers’ catalogue, available for the public market.  
 • Prototypes are not permitted.
 •  Ergonomics: the seat and handlebar are designed for an erect position of the rider’s upper body.   • The minimum handlebar width: 550 mm.
 •  The seat shall have room for the rider and a passenger.
 •  The area in front of the rider’s seat shall have the typical scooter characteristic that is an “open” space, or stepthru space.  
 •  The minimum required difference in height measured between the bottom of the seat and the lowest part of this “step-thru” space shall be 100 mm. 
 •  In front of the seat, the rider’s legs and feet shall be protected by a ‘leg-shield’ of minimum 400 mm in width.   • Floor (foot) boards: 350 mm minimum length. 
 • Max. rear wheel diameter: 16”
Group A3 Automatic 50 cc    Motorcycles driven by an engine capacity up to 50 cc and having an automatic transmission.
Category II
Motorcycles propelled by the action of two (2) wheels in contact with the ground.
Group A1 Solo Motorcycles   2-wheeled vehicles making only one track on the ground.
Group A2 Scooters (See above)
Group A3 Automatic 50 cc    Motorcycles: driven by an engine capacity up to 50 cc and having automatic transmission.    Scooter specification: a scooter must have its crankcase/swingarm constructed as one single, rigid unit. Its transmission must be by a continuous variation transmission (CVT).

Extract from 2019 section 1.19
Group A2 Scooters    A scooter is a motorized 2-wheel vehicle produced in large quantities by the original manufacturer with a minimum of 2000 units registered by the manufacturer and found in the manufacturers’ and dealers’ catalogue, available for the public market.  
 • Scooter specification: a scooter must have its crankcase/swing-arm constructed as one single. Rigid unit. Its transmission must be by a continuous variation transmission (CVT)
 Prototypes are not permitted.
  •  Ergonomics: the seat and handlebar are designed for an erect position of the rider’s upper body.
  • The minimum handlebar width: 550 mm.
 •  The seat shall have room for the rider and a passenger.
 •  The area in front of the rider’s seat shall have the typical scooter characteristic that is an “open” space, or step-thru space.  
 •  The minimum required difference in height measured between the bottom of the seat and the lowest part of this step-thru space shall be 100 mm. 
 •The area in front of the seat: the rider’s legs and feet shall be protected by a leg-shield with a  minimum width of 400 mm.  
• Floor (foot) boards: 350 mm minimum length. 
 • Max. rear wheel diameter: 16”
FIM Land Speed Records Regulations
16 update 2 July 2019

If the 2018 and 2019 regulations are compared the only real difference is the CVT clutch requirement has moved from the A3 group into the main A2 scooter discription. If you ever or your friends ever wanted to consider setting a FIM world record with a geared scooter or you would just like a level playing field for all you need to act NOW ! Just write a e mail stating you know about this and fully support the removal of the CVT transmission requiremnet from the A2 scooter group from the FIM 2019 regulations. 

This needs to be done ASAP as the next meeting is next week 15th and 16th February. Please e mail.

charles.hennekam@fim.ch 

PLEASE PLEASE ONLY E MAIL IF YOU SUPPORT MY REQUEST nothing nasty. I thank you in advance if you make the effort to help me get what I feel is wrong put right.

The e mail extract above mentions that its the first request in twenty years, world record meetings are far and few between, they cost loads of money to enter , plus up to last year there was no reason to contact them geared scooters were legal this does not mean that somebody somewhere is not building something to have a go ! 
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
08-02-2020, 01:07 PM
Website Find Reply