Peter Hickman 'gutted' over 2020 Isle of Man TT cancellation etc....
Malcolm Offline
Administrator
*******

Posts: 18,681
Threads: 16,585
Joined: Oct 2005
Reputation: 0
#1
Peter Hickman 'gutted' over 2020 Isle of Man TT cancellation etc....
[Image: HickyONCancellations.jpg]
Peter Hickman on the Smiths Racing BMW in the Senior race at the Isle of Man TT in 2019.
Copyright: jpimedia

Peter Hickman 'gutted' over 2020 Isle of Man TT cancellation as coronavirus wipes out sport around globe

Outright Isle of Man TT lap record holder Peter Hickman says he is “gutted” over the cancellation of this year’s Mountain Course festival.

However, the Smiths Racing BMW rider, who won the Superbike, Superstock and second Supersport races at the event last June, has vowed to come back stronger in 2021.

Hickman took to social media to express his disappointment but acknowledged the health and well-being of the public was of paramount importance during the coronavirus pandemic, which has forced the organisers to call off the two-week event.

“Naturally I’m absolutely gutted about the 2020 TT being cancelled,” said Hickman.

“The Smiths Racing team and all my sponsors have been working incredibly hard over the winter and we were all looking forward to a fantastic event.

“These are unprecedented times though and the health and well-being of everyone involved, from the officials and riders to the fans and residents of the Isle of Man, has to come first. We’ll be back though, so here’s to TT 2021!

“In the meantime we’re still working to get the bike ready for when the BSB season gets underway. I’ve also been working on some other exciting projects for this year, which I’ll be announcing very soon.”


Hickman is one of the main contenders in the British Superbike Championship and will now fully concentrate on the series this year with the international road races falling victim to COVID-19.

The Louth man could be in action on the roads however at the end of the year if the Macau Grand Prix goes ahead in November.

In addition to his TT hat-trick, Hickman won a Superstock race at the North West 200 and made history at the Ulster Grand Prix last August, winning seven races from seven starts at Dundrod.

For now, there is no concrete start date for the British Superbike Championship after it was announced on Wednesday that the official test at Silverstone on April 2 had been called off, while the first round of the championship at the same circuit over the Easter weekend has been postponed.

The statement said:

“Yesterday (16 March) the UK Government announced further and significant measures designed to suppress the spread of the Coronavirus and limit Covid-19 infections.

“Following the MCRCB and the ACU’s suspension of all motorcycle circuit racing events until at least the end of April, a decision which will be kept under review as the situation progresses, MSVR can confirm that the forthcoming official test (1/2 April) at Silverstone is cancelled, and the opening round of the 2020 Bennetts British Superbike Championship also at Silverstone (10-12 April), will be postponed until later in the year.

“Series promoter and organiser MSVR is continuing to work closely with teams, circuits, broadcasters and partners to evaluate the constantly-changing situation and will provide further updates when available.”



[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White


20-03-2020, 02:15 PM
Website Find Reply




Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)