World Superbike title chase is just not important now, says Jonathan Rea
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: JonReaAnnouncement.jpg]

Five-time World Superbike champion Jonathan Rea insists winning a sixth title means nothing compared to fighting the coronavirus outbreak.

"I don't really care about the Championship - I care about people getting better again and relieving the stress on the NHS staff and hospitals," said the 33-year-old Templepatrick rider.

Although the next proposed round of the Championship is supposed to be at Assen in Holland in mid-April, Rea is not so sure.

"It's strange that Assen hasn't been postponed yet. It's clear the virus is not under control and I'm sure with all the travel restrictions we'll be at a standstill maybe well into July at the earliest," he said.

"It may not be a full 13-round series, but organisers will want the Championship finished and they will be trying their best to get it done. I'm champing at the bit to get back on my bike, I really miss it, I miss my team - I miss everybody. But that's not important right now."

Rea also believes the mental challenge of staying indoors for the foreseeable future is a major issue.

He has set up his own YouTube channel with "cool content" including cookery and teaching his four-year-old son to ride a motorbike.

"What's more important now is the mental aspect - I've a back garden to get out to escape to but many people aren't that fortunate so it's important people stay mentally strong throughout this period," Rea added.

"They just have to pick the simplest things that make them happy and try to achieve that goal that day because I can see that being a huge problem. I usually live my life at 200mph so to completely stop is going to be a big change.

"It's about people being clever and not panicking. With panic buying, I just don't understand people going out and buying so much as if stores are going to close their doors. Everyone will still have essential needs.

"It's going to be a challenge in the next few weeks, especially with kids off school. We just have to go with it and fight this pandemic. It's about good hygiene, staying away from those most vulnerable and getting through this as best we can."

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
Roy Harris

23-03-2020, 02:12 PM
Website Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
RE: World Superbike title chase is just not important now, says Jonathan Rea
Fine sentiments Jonathan, I only hope your sentiments can gather pace and be spread far and wide through the good offices of this forum.,

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
23-03-2020, 05:40 PM
Find Reply