TT 2020 CANCELLATION: FAQS
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: TThdr.jpg]

The Isle of Man and much of the global travel industry is in an unprecedented scenario following the outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19). The Isle of Man Government Department for Enterprise, commercial rights owner of the Isle of Man TT Races, and other Government departments are working hard to mitigate the financial and economic impact to visitors and the local population alike.

We appreciate your patience in this developing situation and will be updating the following information regularly. - Last updated: 10:30, 25 March 2020

CANCELLATION

WHY HAS THE TT BEEN CANCELLED?

The decision to cancel the 2020 Isle of Man TT Races was taken in response to the global outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19). The Isle of Man Government took the decision as a measure to protect the local population and introduced an indefinite 14-day quarantine for all inbound visitors to the Isle of Man.

WHY HAS THE DECISION BEEN MADE NOW?

The successful delivery of the Isle of Man TT Races is driven by a number of logistical and geographical challenges that are almost unique in the world of sport and, as a result, these factors can ultimately determine whether the event should run or not.

Careful consideration was made to both postponing the event or delaying the decision, but it was decided that in order to prioritise the health and well-being of the local residents, and provide certainty to event stakeholders and visitors, an early decision needed to be made.

COULD A DECISION HAVE BEEN MADE EARLIER?

We have been monitoring the COVID-19 situation carefully and once the complex and ever-changing global position became clearer, particularly in the week commencing 9th March, a decision was made promptly on the 16th March to cancel the event once due consideration and evaluation on the options had been carried out.

WHY COULD THE EVENT NOT BE POSTPONED OR REPLACE THE CLASSIC TT?

Although both of these options were considered, it was evaluated that for a number of reasons it would not be possible to replace the Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix with the TT, or to postpone the TT to an undetermined later date.

These include team and rider availability, visitor travel and accommodation, availability of key event officials including medical cover, availability of key event suppliers, sponsor commitments and the fact that the Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix have their own audience that is already committed to the event.

CAN I STILL VISIT THE ISLE OF MAN?

On Sunday 22nd March Chief Minister Howard Quayle MHK announced that the Isle of Man Government will no longer be allowing access to the Island for visitors from 9am on Monday 23rd March until further notice. The change from current guidance follows new measures to support the Isle of Man’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Isle of Man Government will keep their dedicated social media channels and website updated with latest news regarding this matter.

WILL OTHER OUTDOOR EVENTS SCHEDULED FOR TT 2020 TAKE PLACE?

All Official Entertainment including the TT Fan Park, live music and comedy scheduled for the TT Mercury Club have been cancelled with immediate effect and full refunds will be provided where tickets have been purchased. Everyone in the Isle of Man is being urged to stop social gatherings and consider whether any trip outside is necessary. Everyone in the Isle of Man has been encouraged to practice social distancing which includes spending less time in public places where there are a lot of people around.

This had led to the closure of pubs, restaurants and cafes, as well as gyms, swimming pools the NSC and attractions. The vast majority of local events have also been cancelled. The Pre-TT Classic, Post-TT Races and Ramsey Sprint(s) are all cancelled and the Promenade Funfair has also been cancelled.

TICKETS

WILL I RECEIVE A REFUND FOR OFFICIAL TICKETED EXPERIENCES? 

Yes. Full refunds will be issued to anyone that has purchased a ticket through the official website – iomttraces.com. These include Grandstand tickets, Hospitality Packages and Official Entertainment Experiences. Refunds will automatically be given and we are working closely with our ticketing partner, Ticketmaster Sport, to process these as quickly as possible.
We anticipate that refunds will be issued on 26th March 2020 but it may take a further 7 working days for funds to appear in your account.
If you have not received a refund by 6th April 2020, please contact iomttraces@gov.im.

TRAVEL & ACCOMMODATION

I HAVE BOOKED TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATION TO TT2020 – WHAT DO I DO?

Visit Isle of Man has instructed all accommodation providers to contact customers that have booked directly with them for the TT Races. 

In the first instance Visit Isle of Man is encouraging everyone who has booked travel and accommodation to contact their airline, accommodation provider, Isle of Man Steam Packet or tour operator where applicable and also refer to their travel insurance cover and their credit card companies if they booked using a credit card.

The advice from Visit Isle of Man to accommodation providers is to be flexible with bookings including offering to transfer the booking to a later date, including the 2021 TT Races, or offering vouchers for customers.

However, it is ultimately the decision of the accommodation provider based on their own personal circumstances and terms and conditions

The Sleepwell Group, which operates the Claremont Hotel, the Rutland Hotel and the Chesterhouse Hotel in Douglas, has already confirmed to Visit Isle of Man and their own customers that they will be allowing customers to transfer their TT booking to the 2021 TT Races.

I HAVE BOOKED CAMPING TO TT2020 – WHAT DO I DO?

Visit Isle of Man is advising everyone who has booked with a campsite on the Isle of Man to contact the campsite provider regarding their cancellation policy.
Please advise the Department for Enterprise Motorsport Team of your experience by emailing iomttraces@gov.im. 

I HAVE BOOKED HOMESTAY ACCOMMODATION WITH MIQUANDO – WHAT DO I DO?

The Department for Enterprise is working with our partners at the MiQuando and will provide an update within 14 days. Miquando have advised that ‘this unprecedented situation is complex and is not one any of us have encountered before, which is why things are taking a little longer than we initially had hoped for.’

MiQuando are aware of various posts and comments on social media regarding Homestay. It is important to understand any such comments are the views of the individual’s concerned and not official advice or guidance.

All tourist accommodation on the Isle of Man is required to be registered with the Department for Enterprise by law However, if anyone has made a booking with an unofficial/unregistered accommodation provider they should also approach that provider directly.

I HAVE BOOKED ACCOMMODATION THROUGH A 3RD-PARTY WEBSITE – WHAT DO I DO?

You should check the terms and conditions of the third party that you booked your accommodation with. If you booked your trip with a credit card, you should also check the terms and conditions of your credit card company and your own individual travel insurance. Your travel insurance, if you have it, may cover no refund situations.

If you have established that no reimbursement of any kind is forthcoming on the part of the hotel, contact your insurer directly and see what level of cover you have and what it can help with.

You should also check the terms and conditions of your credit card company.

Please email iomttraces@gov.im if you if you wish to provide us with any information on your situation.

I HAVE BOOKED A FLIGHT TO TT2020 – WHAT DO I DO?

The Visit Isle of Man Agency is advising anyone booked with any of the carriers to the Isle of Man to review the airline’s terms and conditions and contact them in the first instance.

I HAVE A CROSSING TO TT2020 BOOKED WITH THE IOM STEAM PACKET – WHAT DO I DO?

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company has confirmed it will be contacting all TT period passengers as a result of the cancellation of this year’s event.

The Company has recently confirmed that amendment fees will be waived in the current circumstances to allow passengers to book alternative services.

The company has confirmed that at present TT 2021 services are not yet bookable but the Company will be contacting all TT 2020 period customers as soon as practical to offer TT 2021 Priority Transfer on the equivalent sailings or refund options.

To assist customers, this will be an automated re-booking process and there is no need to immediately contact the Company as the list of options will be sent out via email/post in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Existing TT 2020 customers will be given priority on the equivalent sailings for TT 2021 for a period.

Other new bookings or amendments for TT 2021 will only be possible from the 25th May 2020.

The company has requested that people ‘bear with us while we make arrangements for TT 2021.’

For more information go to steam-packet.com or call 661661 (IOM), 08722 992992 (UK) or 00 448722 992992 (ROI & outside UK).

I HAVE BOOKED WITH A TOUR OPERATOR – WHAT DO I DO?

Customers who have book via a tour operator should contact their travel operator directly to discuss their cancellation policy.

FUTURE EVENTS

WILL THE CLASSIC TT GO AHEAD?

The Department for Enterprise Motorsport Team is continuing to work with the Manx Motor Cycle Club towards the successful delivery of the 2020 Classic TT Races and Manx Grand Prix which is due to begin on 22nd August 2020. The delivery of the event will continually be monitored and a decision will be made in a timely manner based on the possible impact on the health and wellbeing of the Isle of Man’s residents which remains its priority. 

WILL TT2021 GO AHEAD?

Although the exact race schedule has not been confirmed yet, the event is scheduled to run from Saturday 29th May to Saturday 12th June 2021. A provisional racing schedule can be found here. The Department for Enterprise Motorsport Team is focused on delivering a successful event on those dates if prevailing global conditions are favourable.

25-03-2020, 01:42 PM
Website Find Reply