McAMS Yamaha raring to go ahead of Donington Park return
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
McAMS Yamaha raring to go ahead of Donington Park return
[Image: McAmsYamahaHdr.jpg]

The McAMS Yamaha team are raring to go as the 2020 Bennetts British Superbike championship finally roars into action at Donington Park this weekend, some four months after its scheduled start date.

After months of uncertainty amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the team are pleased to be returning to action under the ‘new normal’ and looking forward to the season ahead.

Prior to the pandemic paralysing the world, the team underwent three successful tests in Spain with the new-for-2020 Yamaha YZF-R1, noting significant gains on the 2019 machine, most notably in power and straight-line speed.

After the enforced period of lockdown, work resumed on ensuring the squad was ready to race as soon as the green light was given. When the 2020 season was announced in June, the McAMS Yamaha riders tentatively returned to the track, both participating in track days on stock machinery to get their eye back in the game.

Their first run out on the superbike since March came at the end of June as the team visited Knockhill for a shakedown test before heading to Croft for a full day of action.

Having fought at the front throughout 2020 despite both struggling with injuries, both Tarran Mackenzie and Jason O’Halloran are confident of mounting a challenge for the 2020 crown.

While the season may be shorter in terms of rounds, each event being a triple header means we’ll still be seeing 18 British Superbike races this year and with no ‘Showdown’ format, it’s winner takes all with no room for error.

Finishing second at the official test last week, Jason O’Halloran is feeling better than ever ahead of the new season having used the extra time off to fully recuperate from the shoulder difficulties that plagued him throughout 2019.

Keeping his head down in testing, Mackenzie is quietly confident ahead of the season’s start. Noting several areas of improvement with the 2020 bike, he’s looking forward to getting out on track in anger for the first time this weekend.

A revised schedule sees no free practice on Friday morning with the BSB boys taking to the track for the first time on Friday afternoon ahead of an action-packed Saturday schedule featuring a final free practice session ahead of a 25-minute qualifying shootout and then the first race of the weekend. Sunday will then feature two races as normal.

Regrettably, due to COVID-19 restrictions our fans and guests are unable to join us for the opening round – but we’ll be ramping up our efforts on social media to keep you informed at home plus running exclusive competitions to bring you close to the riders even though you can’t visit the garage for that selfie or autograph!

2020 BRITISH SUPERBIKE CHAMPIONSHIP – ROUND 1 SCHEDULE

Friday 7th August

15:25 – 16:10 – Free Practice 1

Saturday 8th August

10:15 – 11:00 – Free Practice 2
13:20 – 13:45 – DataTag Qualifying
16:30 – Race 1 (22 laps)

Sunday 9th August

09:30 – 09:40 – Warm Up
13:45 – Race 1 (26 laps)
16:30 – Race 2 (26 laps)

Jason O'Halloran

“It’s finally time to go racing! I’ve said a few times before, I was disappointed with 2019 as I know we did not reach the potential of either the R1 or myself, so to be heading into 2020 with an even better R1 is a promising prospect. The areas we’ve improved in with the new bike are the areas we struggled last year so I am really confident ahead of this season. With no showdown, it’ll be an 18 race dogfight but there’s no room for error. We’ll miss the fans at the track but the racing will be super close, so there’ll definitely be a show to watch at home!”

Tarran Mackenzie

“It’s a nice feeling to be heading into a race weekend for the first time in what feels like forever. I had a really good feeling with the bike in testing. The 2020 R1 isn’t massively different to the previous bike, but that’s a good thing as the old bike was already a great package – the 2020 bike takes that and refines it and after testing I am confident we have improved in the areas we wanted to. Donington National was good for us last year, I was on the podium so that’s the aim going into the weekend. Consistency will be key this year with no showdown, I just can’t wait to get started now!”

Steve Rodgers - Team Principal

We are finally going racing! It’s been a strange year and all in all, I’m glad we are able to get back to the track as we have certainly missed it!

“Testing was good, we had three strong tests in Spain with the new R1 and continued that progress when we were able to get back on track after lockdown.

“We all know both Taz and Jason are front running riders, there is no reason they shouldn’t be taking podiums, wins and eventually fighting for the championship this year but we have to play the long game – the Showdown almost offered a breathing space as if you made the top six you could ‘go again’ in the final three rounds with the points so close. That won’t be the case this year so it is important to be on the top of our game at every event.”

05-08-2020, 05:45 PM
Website Find Reply