Paul Jordan 'in best position ever'
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Paul Jordan 'in best position ever'
[Image: PaulJordanOnIt.jpg]

Paul Jordan 'in best position ever' as Burrows Engineering/RK Racing rider looks ahead to Cookstown 100

Magherafelt’s Paul Jordan says he could not be in a stronger position as he looks ahead to next month’s rescheduled Cookstown 100.

Jordan is gearing up to make his debut for the Burrows Engineering/RK Racing team at the event, which the organisers hope to run from September 11-12 with strict Covid-19 protocols in place.

The event is set to be the only Irish road race to take place in 2020 after the calendar was decimated by the coronavirus pandemic, which also forced the cancellation of the Isle of Man TT, Southern 100 and Classic TT/Manx Grand Prix meetings.

Jordan tested the Burrows Racing 1000cc Suzuki and 600cc Yamaha machines alongside new team-mate Mike Browne at Kirkistown in Co Down last month.

The 29-year-old struck a deal to contest the Irish national road races with the former racer John Burrows’ team this year, while Jordan was also due to compete at the North West 200 and TT for Lee Hardy’s RAF & Reserves British Superbike team on a Kawasaki ZX-10RR.

“It has been a disastrous year with all that has happened, but personally, I couldn’t be in a better position that I am right now,” Jordan told the News Letter.

“John’s [Burrows] team is amazing and I’ve tested the bikes at Kirkistown. My times weren’t far away considering I hadn’t been on a bike since last November at Macau.

“I was just so happy leaving the test that day and it made me realise how unhappy I was before. I just can’t wait until next year,” he added.

“I had a run out on the RAF and Reserves Kawasaki at Snetterton a couple of weeks ago and I’d be ready to go racing on it right now.

“Compared to the bike I rode last year, it’s levels above. The bike is just fantastic and I can’t wait to get the chance to ride it properly on the roads next year.

“Riding the Kawasaki and being able to make the comparison to the bike I rode last year, it just shows the standard of a high-class BSB and the difference that it makes,” Jordan said.

“I just felt so at home in the team and I really enjoyed myself. I think the plan is to do a couple more tests on the bike before this year is out.”

Looking towards the Cookstown 100, Jordan said he was feeling quietly confident of his prospects at the Co Tyrone meeting in just under a month’s time.

“I’ll be disappointed if I don’t give a good account of myself at Cookstown but there’s no pressure from John or the team to be fair, it’s more the pressure I put on myself,” he said.

“I’ve trained really hard this year and I’m happy in myself, so they say a happy rider is a fast rider and I’m looking forward to getting out there.

“Hopefully I’ll get another track day or two with John before the Cookstown 100. We did look at doing the short circuit race at Kirkistown in September but we decided it would be more beneficial in terms of track time to get another test or two.”

A winner in the Supertwin class at the Ulster Grand Prix last August, former 125cc British championship rider Jordan is one of the sport’s up and coming prospects.

Meanwhile, practice for the Barry Sheene Classic meeting at Oliver’s Mount, Scarborough, gets under way on Friday.

Racing takes place tomorrow and Sunday, when riders include Dean Harrison, Lee Johnston, Jamie Coward, Dominic Herbertson and newcomer and Manx Grand Prix winner James Hind.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White

14-08-2020, 03:34 PM
Website Find Reply