Scarborough - Lougher Raises the Bar as Newcomer Hind Impresses
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Scarborough - Lougher Raises the Bar as Newcomer Hind Impresses
[Image: teamILRlogo.jpg]

Barry Sheene Classic: Oliver's Mount, Scarborough Report

[Image: JimHindSacrborough1.jpg]
Jim Hind in action over the Scarborough jumps on the Team ILR - Mark Coverdale ZX-6R Kawasaki.
Photo: OTTpix

Ian Lougher raised the Oliver's Mount circuit all-time winners record to a remarkable 141 wins with victory on the Team ILR - Mark Coverdale Paton S1-R in the second Supertwins race, as road racing resumed in challenging conditions at the three-day Barry Sheene Classic meeting.

The Welshman also registered third and fourth place finishes in the other 'twins races, and this along with some fine rides by young circuit newcomer Jim Hind, capped a satisfying weekend for Team ILR.

[Image: Hind&LougherScarborough.jpg]
Mentor and Protégé.
Ian Lougher and Jim Hind.
Photo: Team ILR

With the invaluable advice and assistance of Lougher in his corner and totally unfazed by unfamiliar machinery, a new circuit, and a lengthy delay to proceedings on the first day due to persistent mist, young Hind quickly got to grips with the twisty Scarborough course.

On the team's ZX-6R Kawasaki he qualified for the Supersport A class as well as setting fifth fastest time in the Supertwins, with Lougher on another Team ILR - Mark Coverdale Paton slotting nicely into third place in the timesheets.

Saturday saw two Supertwins races with the first being red-flagged after the opening few laps.

On the shortened restart, it was Jamie Coward who took the honours from Dominic Herbertson with Ian taking the final podium spot in third, and Jim riding brilliantly to bring the other Paton home in fourth.

The second race also fell victim to an early red-flag but this time on the re-start it was a determined Lougher who quickly hit the front and, despite a strong challenge from Herbertson and Coward, Ian wasn't to be denied as he rode strongly to take the chequered flag for win number 141!

Meanwhile in the Supersport 600's Hind gave a good account of himself to finish the day with two soild Top 8 rides, with fifth in the opening race being a particular highlight.

[Image: LoughercrewScarborough.jpg]
Team ILR at Oliver's Mount.
Jim Hind with his parents Julia and Geoff, and Robert, Ian, Mark and Jacko.
Photo: Team ILR

Day Two saw changeable weather and again two Supertwins and Supersport races for the team.

In the opening Supertwins race on a wet track Ian uncharacteristically slid off without injury on the first lap at Drury's Hairpin leaving Jim to take up the Team ILR challenge, and this he did admirably with a superb ride to finish second behind TT Privateers Champion Coward and ahead of the experienced and talented Herbertson.

Race Two saw a great tussle develop between Lougher and his young protégé Hind with the only two Paton riders in the race having a great battle for third.

With Coward clear at the front, it was Hind who eventually got clear with two laps to go to claim third less than a second behind Herbertson with Ian settling for fourth.

Hind capped a great Oliver's Mount debut with another excellent ride to finish 7th in the second Supersport A race of the day to also complete a very satisfying weekend for the team.

Over the course of the weekend Jim was fastest newcomer and sixth quickest overall with a lap of 1.51.297 in the second Supersport race on the Team ILR - Mark Coverdale Kawasaki ZX-6R.

Ian meanwhile was 12th quickest overall with a lap in the Supertwins of 1.54.566 on the Team ILR - Mark Coverdale Paton S1-R.

A great effort by the whole team!

In closing the thoughts and condolences of everyone at Team ILR are with the family and friends of Jeff Ward.

Jeff was involved in a non-racing-related medical emergency after the Supertwin qualifying session on Friday afternoon and sadly passed away the following day.

Team ILR owner-manager Ian Lougher:

"It’s fair to say after a lengthy wait to see if the racing would return to Oliver’s Mount, that everybody was so pleased to get back in the paddock and out on track.

I felt quite good from the off on our Team ILR/Mark Coverdale Paton qualifying 3rd.

I went on to have some decent results over the weekend, but the plus point for me was working with our new team rider Jim Hind.

The 20 yr old from Lincolnshire was a newcomer to Scarborough but impressed everybody including me with his ability to learn a new circuit in the most difficult of conditions and listen to everyone in his quest to improve his riding.

He rode our 650 Paton and Kawasaki ZX6, both machines being new to him without breaking a sweat ...mega.

A big thank-you must go to the Oliver’s Mount organisers who have worked so hard to get the racing going again, and a massive thank-you to all our sponsors, especially our main sponsor Mark Coverdale who has given us so much support."

Jim Hind:

"I have really enjoyed my time at Oliver’s Mount, I was a little apprehensive about the weekend but Team ILR and my family helped the weekend run spot on.

It was my first time on a Kawasaki Zx6 and really liked it, and the Paton was the first twin machine for me to ride and a beautiful bike to ride.

I can’t wait to come back for the Gold Cup in September.

Thank-you to Ian and the team for making me feel so at home."

21-08-2020, 12:42 PM
Website Find Reply