'Not bad for an old washed-up road racer'
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
'Not bad for an old washed-up road racer'
[Image: LeeJohnstonatSnett.jpg]

'Not bad for an old washed-up road racer' - Lee Johnston bags British Supersport podium double at Snetterton

Top road racer Lee Johnston showed he could still cut it on the British short circuit scene as the Ashcourt Racing rider claimed a brace of podium finishes at Snetterton.

Johnston – a former Superstock 600 champion – twice finished third in the Supersport races on his Yamaha R6 at the Norfolk circuit to move into fourth place in the standings.

It could have been even better for the Fermanagh native, who was chasing race leader and double winner Rory Skinner in race two when he ran off the track after hitting a false neutral.

The 31-year-old managed to return to the track and eventually finished third behind Brad Perrie in a satisfying weekend for Johnston and the Ashcourt Racing team.

“I hit a false neutral going down the back straight so it was a little bit frustrating because I made a slight mistake about two laps before that, when I ran wide slightly and probably lost about 0.8s, but I made the gap back again,” said Johnston, who clinched his maiden Isle of Man TT victory in the Supersport class in 2019.

“I sort of knew then that I had the pace to definitely have a go, so slightly frustrated, but to be honest to be on the podium again is good for an old washed up road racer like me.”

GP2 race winner Alastair Seeley was disqualified on Saturday following a 'post-race technical inspection'. The 40-year-old was 12th overall in race two on Sunday and fourth in the GP2 class, which was won by Mason Law.

Korie McGreevy – the 2019 Superstock 600 champion – finished seventh and fifth on his Century Yamaha, while Ross Patterson was ninth and eighth. Richard Kerr was 14th and 16th in the two races and Scott Swann was 22nd and 20th.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White

25-08-2020, 01:10 PM
Website Find Reply