Glenn Irwin 'taking confidence' from status as British Superbike title pacesetter
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Glenn Irwin 'taking confidence' from status as British Superbike title pacesetter
[Image: GlenIrwinprSilverstone.jpg]
Glenn Irwin leads the British Superbike Championship by 23 points after the first two rounds

Glenn Irwin 'taking confidence' from status as British Superbike title pacesetter ahead of round three at Silverstone

Honda Racing’s Glenn Irwin is at ease with his standing as the leader of the Bennetts British Superbike Championship ahead of round three this weekend at Silverstone National.

The Carrick man has been in rejuvenated form this season on the all-new CBR1000RR-R Fireblade and his consistency in the first six races of 2020, including four runner-up finishes and a victory in the previous round at Snetterton, have given him a healthy 23-point lead at the top over Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Products Ducati).

Irwin is taking his impressive start to the truncated BSB season in his stride and the 30-year-old says he is gaining extra confidence from being the title pacesetter.

“Leading the championship feels good, I’m relaxed and it’s a position I would rather be in, and I guess everyone else would like to be there too,” he said.

“So I’ll enjoy it and work hard to ensure we can stay there for as long as possible.

“I don’t feel any more pressure as such, I’m aware of the points gap but I’m not looking over my shoulder thinking when will that gap depreciate, I’m enjoying it and the confidence I can take from it, but it doesn’t change the way I am working with the team.”

Irwin, though, is also guarding against complacency and has stressed that his goal is to continue to get the most from the new Honda at each round – a machine still very much in its infancy.

“I had a plan with myself this year to do a good job, and my job and the teams’ job is to get the most from the new Fireblade every week, and I think that’s something we have done quite well at the first two events,” he said.

“It’s not come easy and it’s taken a lot of hard work from the top of the team down to myself, but the aim pretty much remains the same and also not to get too complacent, continue working the way we are as a team and I’m positive if we carry on in this way, then the results will continue.”

Free practice at the Northamptonshire circuit gets underway on Friday from 3.30pm. The first race on Saturday is scheduled for 4.30pm.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White

04-09-2020, 01:34 PM
Website Find Reply