'King of Kirkistown' winner Derek Sheils 'learning all the time'
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
'King of Kirkistown' winner Derek Sheils 'learning all the time'
[Image: DerekShiledsKirkistown.jpg]
Derek Sheils with his new Roadhouse Macau BMW after winning the 'King of Kirkistown' title on Saturday.
Picture: Pacemaker Press.

'King of Kirkistown' winner Derek Sheils 'learning all the time' with new Roadhouse Macau BMW

Derek Sheils made a winning debut on the Roadhouse Macau BMW as he claimed the ‘King of Kirkistown’ title in Co Down on Saturday.

Sheils had only completed one test on the S1000RR prior to the open short circuit meeting in Co Down but the 38-year-old is quickly getting to grips with the new machine.

He won the first Superbike race by 0.47s from Michael Dunlop, who was a surprise entry on the MD Racing Suzuki, with Jason Lynn completing the top three as he impressed on the Walter Bell Suzuki after making the step up to the Superbike class for 2020.

In race two, Sheils was holding second place behind Lynn when the red flags came out. The result was declared based on positions after six laps, with Sheils’ runner-up finish enough to give him the overall ‘King of Kirkistown’ victory spoils on aggregate. Ballymoney man Dunlop - a double winner in the Supersport races - finished in third.

Sheils, who this year parted company from the Burrows Engineering/RK Racing team in an amicable split after four seasons together, told the News Letter:

“After eight months without racing since the Macau Grand Prix, it was a real eye-opener getting back on a Superbike. We only did one test day before we went racing at Kirkistown.

“The electronics on the BMW means the bike is really easy to ride at the short circuits, although I’m not sure yet what it will be like on the roads, but it feels like a really good bike.

“We’re still learning the bike and we made a few changes between qualifying and the first race and we got lucky and hit a set-up that I felt comfortable with,” he added.

“I got the hole-shot in the first race but I was trying to feel the suspension changes and then Michael (Dunlop) nipped past me. He sort of got away a little but I managed to come back and I passed him into Colonial and held it to the line.

“In the second race I was biding my time a little behind Jason Lynn and I didn’t want to pass him too early and give him a chance to get back at me. When the race was stopped I was aiming for a move at the hairpin but it wasn’t to be and Jason was riding well too.”

Promoted by the Belfast and District Club, Saturday’s meeting was held with strict Covid-19 protocols in place, including a restricted number of 300 spectators.

It is likely to be the only short circuit race to take place in Northern Ireland this year after the Mid Antrim Club’s meeting in October was cancelled, while the Sunflower Trophy races at Bishopscourt were called off earlier this year.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White

07-09-2020, 12:18 PM
Website Find Reply