Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Make Their Way to Misano
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Make Their Way to Misano
[Image: yamahaenergylog.jpg]

The Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Team head to the Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli for round 6 and 7 of the 2020 MotoGP World Championship, which will be held consecutively in the upcoming two weekends.

Following a two-week break, Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP look forward to commencing this weekend’s Gran Premio di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini, which the team and Valentino Rossi consider their home race.

Maverick Viñales is determined to put his mark on the upcoming two rounds at the Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli. He enjoys this track and is feeling positive that he can make some strides in the championship standings, which currently see him in fifth place, 22 points from first.

The Spaniard’s goal is to make a visit to the San Marino rostrum again. He stood there twice before: when he scored a second place in the Moto3 class in 2013 and a third place in the MotoGP class last year.

The San Marino races are always special to Rossi. He grew up very close to the Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli, in Tavullia. It therefore pleases him that this weekend will be the first 2020 MotoGP race with some spectators allowed to watch from the grandstands, and they will surely be cheering on the local hero.

Previously The Doctor stood on the San Marino premier class podium six times, scoring three MotoGP victories, in 2008, 2009 and 2014, two second places in 2012 and 2016, and a third place in 2010. Should he land a place on the rostrum this Sunday, it will be his 200th premier class podium, and it would help him improve on his current 7th place in the rankings, 25 points from the top.

The Misano circuit, constructed in 1972, was a regular venue for Italian Grands Prix throughout the 80s and early 90s. The 4.2km track is ridden clockwise, since a radical renovation was done to meet MotoGP's safety regulations in 2007 that put the circuit back on the MotoGP calendar. The upgrade also included a new chicane, resulting in the current lay-out of six left and ten right corners and giving the track increased racing excitement.

During the San Marino GP, Marelli will again have their logo featured proudly on the front cowl of both Viñales' and Rossi’s M1s, as it is also a 'Home GP' for this partly Italy-based Official Technical Partner.

Moreover, the Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Team is delighted to support the fifth edition of the KiSS Misano (KiSS stands for Keep it Shiny & Sunstainable) programme. With only a small number of fans allowed to visit the grandstand areas of the track this year, the 2020 KiSS Misano action plan has been revised and downsized compared to previous editions. This year's initiatives include waste management at the track (including PPI products used as Covid-19 prevention measures), as well as a communication plan to raise awareness on sustainability and Covid-19 prevention best practices in motorsports through the KiSS Misano social media channels.

[Image: Rossi&coMisano1.jpg]

Maverick Viñales

I’ve used the two-week break well to prepare for the races here in Misano. I’m in a good shape, both physically and mentally, so this weekend we will be pushing hard again. We will completely focus on improving our championship classification. That’s the overall goal, and to do so we need to be on the podium. I feel optimistic and excited about these upcoming three weeks. We know we can be strong here in San Marino and also in Catalunya, so we have to make sure we really make the most of these races. These next two GPs are kind of like home races for the team, so I want to get the best result possible.

Valentino Rossi

The two rounds in Misano are next. Racing at this track is always very special for me. It’s very close to my house, just 10 kilometers down the road. It’s very easy for me to get to the circuit, and it’s also comfortable to be so close to home. Last year we were really strong here, so we hope we can continue to build onto this over these next two weekends and get some positive results. We finished just off the podium last year. We want to fight for the top positions again this time round.

Massimo Meregalli - Team Director

The entire team spent the two-week break usefully and now we are ready for action again. We’re feeling positive about our potential here, Misano is a circuit both our riders like and our bike also suits the track lay-out well. We always think of Misano as a ‘home GP’ for our team. Racing here two times in a row is something we’re really looking forward to. It’s also nice that we will have some spectators allowed on the grandstands this weekend, so we can have a small taste of the usually fantastic atmosphere at this circuit. It will be a busy period. We have two consecutive races here, and we also have a test in Misano next week on Tuesday. It will be a very important track day, because it will be the first and last opportunity for us to test new items during the 2020 season.

09-09-2020, 12:12 PM
Website Find Reply