NW200 Cancelled!
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 396
NW200 Cancelled!
Not another one!!!
Had enough now, let's get a move on & sort this pandemic out!!
https://www.northwest200.org/2021-fonaca...cancelled/
20-01-2021, 09:07 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: NW200 Cancelled!
[Image: NWlogo.jpg]

2021 fonaCAB Nicholl Oils North West 200 cancelled.

It is with great regret that the Coleraine and District Motor Club Ltd has to announce the cancellation of the 2021 fonaCAB Nicholl Oils North West 200.

The official advice from government and public health officials has made it clear the effects of Coronavirus will remain with us for some considerable time to come, despite the roll out of the vaccination programme. In those circumstances, and after much consideration, the Club committee feels it would be impossible to run this year’s event.

A contingency plan that involved delaying race week from May until August has been given full consideration. However, with so much time, expense and personnel involved in the planning and preparation of the NW200, the risk in pursuing such a plan is too great because of continued uncertainty around both the effects of the virus on our community and the extent of the restrictions aimed at suppressing it.

The Coleraine Club’s main priority must be to ensure the safety and wellbeing of not only those involved in the event, but also the residents of the north coast area and further afield. It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for the organisers to limit the number of people who travel to the area during race week which, in turn, could pose a significant risk to the local population. That is a situation that cannot be contemplated.

Although extremely disappointing, the decision to cancel the NW200 for the second year in a row is the only responsible course of action the Coleraine Club can take. We would like to offer our sincere thanks to all of our loyal sponsors, officials and volunteers for their understanding and support.

We also apologise for any inconvenience caused by the cancellation and hope that this timely intervention can assist the teams and competitors who would normally take part in to our event in making alternative plans.

The Coleraine and District Motor Club would also like to thank everyone who has supported us by retaining their bookings through this difficult period. Our reservations team will be in contact in the coming weeks as we now look forward to 2022 when a provisional date of May 8-14 has been allocated for what we hope will be the return of race week at Ireland’s largest motorcycle sporting event.

Until then we ask that everyone stays safe and follows the official advice in support of those in the front line of the battle against Coronavirus.

Issued by Coleraine and District Motor Club Ltd.

19/1/2021

20-01-2021, 09:42 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: NW200 Cancelled!
[Image: GlenIrwinLegsUp.jpg]
Glenn Irwin won his fourth straight Superbike race at the North West 200 in 2019.

North West 200 'will be back stronger than ever in 2022' says Glenn Irwin

Four-time North West 200 Superbike winner Glenn Irwin is confident Ireland’s top road race will return as strong as ever in 2022.

The event was cancelled for the second successive year due to the coronavirus pandemic, with the organisers describing the decision as the “only responsible course of action”.

Carrickfergus man Irwin, who clinched his fourth straight win in the blue riband class on the north coast at the 90th anniversary meeting in 2019, says he fully supports the cancellation of the 2021 race.

The announcement serves as a further blow to the sport after the Tandragee 100 was called off last week, while every national road race in the Republic of Ireland has been cancelled, with the exception of the Skerries 100.

The Cookstown 100 – the only Irish road race held last year – has once again been postponed until September, raising the possibility of Armoy hosting the first event of the decimated season at the end of July.

Although these are worrying times for Irish road racing at national level, Irwin – whose Isle of Man TT debut is also on hold until 2022 – expects the North West to bounce back with a vengeance in 16 months’ time.

“I certainly don’t think that this second cancellation jeopardises the North West because the riders will all support it when it returns and we all want to race there,” he told the News Letter.

“In fact it might actually return better than ever because it’s an opportunity to reassess everything and plan ahead, and it will be so nice when we are able to go back there again and actually shake someone’s hand or have a selfie with the fans.”

The British Superbike contender is naturally disappointed to miss the chance of competing around the 8.9-mile ‘Triangle’ course for the second year, but Irwin said there was an air of inevitability around the official announcement on Wednesday, when the historic race meeting was cancelled for two years running for the first time since WWII.

“I think there was a lot of hope for a positive announcement but obviously we were being kept in the loop over what was happening and we always sort of knew what was coming,” he said.

“Obviously it is gutting to miss the North West 200 for a second year because it’s my favourite race of the year and it’s an event I love. I actually would love to be a part of this event one day when I eventually stop racing because it’s just very special to me.

“But it was the right decision, 200 per-cent. There is nothing more valuable than anyone’s life and we have to protect people and also protect ourselves, and by doing that we protect the event,” added the 30-year-old.

“The worst thing we could do is force the event through this year and then risk a backlash afterwards and negativity if it caused a rise in cases, which it probably would.

“Look, the way I’m looking at it is that the race will come around again in 16 months and with the vaccine rolling out, I think we can more safely say that it will happen in 2022.”

Irwin has established himself as the man to beat in the Superbike class at the North West and he remains intent on fulfilling his goal of equalling the premier class win record of Joey Dunlop and Michael Rutter in years to come.

“By the time the North West comes around again in 2022 I’ll still be just 32 because my birthday is in March, but I’ve got time to chase the only record I would love to have at the event and that’s to be on par with Michael Rutter and Joey Dunlop with nine Superbike wins.

“The big bike races are the ones I really care about and although I love watching all the races, as a rider those are the ones that I get a kick out of because the aura around the Superbike races and the big occasion brings the best out of me.

“So my goals haven’t changed in that respect and if there are three Superbike races each year then that gives me plenty of opportunities throughout my thirties and even into my forties.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White

20-01-2021, 05:05 PM
Website Find Reply