"You might never ride again" - Dixon's career-saving surgery
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
"You might never ride again" - Dixon's career-saving surgery
[Image: JakeDixonInfo.jpg]

During last night's MotoGP™ Chats, the Briton exclusively revealed the extent of the career-threatening wrist injury he suffered in Valencia

Being told "you might never be able to ride again" is something a motorcycle rider never wants to hear, especially at the age of 25 when your Grand Prix career is just starting to build some momentum. But that's exactly what Jake Dixon (Petronas Sprinta Racing) has had to endure over the winter months following a crash in FP2 of the European Grand Prix.

Speaking on MotoGP™ Chats last night, the Briton exclusively revealed that the wrist injury he suffered in Valencia was in fact career-threatening, with doctors outlining the possibility of him never riding a bike again if the surgery wasn't a success. Now, four months on, he's only just able to ride a bike again, putting the start of his season in serious jeopardy.

"Nobody actually knows the extent of how badly I broke it," said Dixon during last night's live show. "It was actually touch-and-go whether I’d ever be able to ride again. On Friday, I’m going to ride for the first time on a motorbike to see what my range of movement is. It still isn't anywhere near where it needs to be, but I think I have enough movement to be back riding again.

"Everyone listening to [MotoGP™ Chats] is hearing this for the first time, even my team members. I obviously spoke with Stiggy [Johan Stigefelt, Petronas Sprinta Racing Team Manager] earlier in the week to try and sort some riding with the current travel restrictions. But I’ll be riding tomorrow and, hopefully, it goes well so I can fully focus on Qatar."

Dixon underwent a two-hour operation in Manchester in December but has now, for the first time, revealed that said surgery was career-saving following a horrendous list of injuries to his right wrist following a Turn 4 highside in FP2 at the Circuit Ricardo Tormo.

"I didn’t know the full extent until my surgeon came to me and said: ‘look, this is the extent of the injury and whether you'll ever be able to ride again is down to how well this operation goes’. That was a massive shock to the system, obviously thinking I’d just broken my wrist but realising I’d actually smashed it in three different places, dislocated it and torn all the ligaments. I can definitely feel the pain from it now still.

"It’s been super difficult. It’s been so monotonous doing the same routine basically every day: training, physio then gym work which includes more physio again. So, it’s been super difficult, but I’ve got to take it on the chin. It was my mistake at the end of the day, so there’s nobody else to blame but myself. It’s taught me a few lessons on how to be a better person and motorcycle racer. Everything happens for a reason and, hopefully, this stands me in good stead for the future."

[Image: motogplogo.jpg]

26-02-2021, 01:41 PM
Website Find Reply