Mike The Bike - 40 Years Ago
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Mike The Bike - 40 Years Ago
[Image: HailwoodRIP.jpg]

Yes it is now 40 years ago today since Mike "The Bike" Hailwood was tragically fatally injured in a road accident and subsequently died in hospital.
(His daughter Michelle was killed outright while his son David survived the accident).

Mike retired from motorcycle racing with 76 GP Victories, 112 GP Podiums, 14 TT wins  & 9 World Championships,
including 35 GP wins, 48 GP Podiums, 6 TT wins, and 4 World Championships in the 500cc class.

After an 11 year hiatus , he made a successful comeback at the TT in 1978, winning the Formula 1 Race on a Ducati and in 1979 be came back to win the Senior on a Suzuki RG500.

That year he finally retired from the sport.

I believe that the term G.O.A.T. is made for this superb motorcycle racing rider

R.I.P. Mike, Pauline & Michelle

23-03-2021, 03:49 PM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
RE: Mike The Bike - 40 Years Ago
Permanent indelible class, form, courage and speed ... thanks Malcolm.
23-03-2021, 07:13 PM
Find Reply
ian333 Offline

Threads: 2
Didn’t get to my my first TT until 92. As Joey’s biggest fan, I have to say Mike the Bike will always be Mr TT. Wish I was old enough to have a proper recollection of 78/79 - makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up even thinking about it. More importantly, by all accounts a wonderful person whose family have carried his legacy with dignity all these years.
23-03-2021, 07:45 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
I was lucky enough to see Mike Hailwood in action both on the TT Course and on the short circuits. He could win on anything, Manx Nortons, G50's, 7Rs, MV Agustas, Hondas, Ducatis, Suzukis, MZs etc etc. He was indeed the son of a wealthy man who provided him with the finest equipment at the start of his career but the point was he could do the machinery justice. Top class motorcycle racing was highly  visible to 'the masses' in the fairly recent past as the riders were free to race almost anywhere and Hailwood was a regular competitor at many UK tracks. He was an amazingly talented and charismatic man and a sportsman in the true sense of the word. His and his daughter's deaths were a tragedy to both his family and the motorcycle racing world. Others may have been more successful in some of the various competitions in which he competed, but I think it's true to say that no-one has been as successful in all  the competitions in which he competed. He is still missed.
23-03-2021, 11:51 PM
Find Reply
sprocket Offline

Threads: 7
I too am lucky enough to have seen him from the early 60's on short circuits and at the TT from 1967. Absolute gentleman and such a talented rider.
I also remember when he opened his shop in Birmingham with Rod Gould, I bought a second hand CX500 off them. He was so helpful and approachable.
Great memories
24-03-2021, 09:52 AM
Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
I was lucky enough to see his comeback years in the Island and I have never seen such beautifully controlled and stylish riding, especially rounding the Creg. I was spectating on the inside for practice when he was flying down from Kate's, I thought there's no way he will get round at that speed, he was of course, on the only perfect line and it was magic to behold. I also saw him race the Matchbox TS10 Surtees at Thruxton. Great memories. To answer your question he would have been wise enough to retire at the appropriate time.

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
24-03-2021, 08:30 PM
Find Reply
Jeff Kirby Offline

Threads: 6
If you haven't seen it before, this shows just how great he was. Note the lack of "knee out" cornering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LnNP7mw7XY
25-03-2021, 11:18 AM
Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
That was a good watch.

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
25-03-2021, 04:28 PM
Find Reply
BrianW Offline

Threads: 1
My first TT was 79, consider myself very fortunate to have seen Mike in his last TT.
25-03-2021, 05:30 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 71
I saw him many times son of a millionaire and play boy as well and boy could he ride a bike it just came naturally to him he would ride 4 different classes on the same day and a good chance he would win the lot a far cry from today's gp riders who just concentrate on one class don't get me wrong today's are super human and fearless and I wish I could ride a bike like them but I do miss the old ones I suppose it's a sign of old age oh well back to the gardening.
27-03-2021, 04:42 PM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
Saw him in 1979 from the outside of the 32nd mile stone 3 corner swoop. He was on a rg 500 suzuki and looked rock solid.

kilbil
27-03-2021, 06:24 PM
Find Reply