MANX GRAND PRIX AND CLASSIC TT REVIEW CONFIRMED
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: MGPBlackLogo.jpg]

The Manx Motor Cycle Club and the Isle of Man Government Department for Enterprise can confirm that they are currently conducting a collaborative root and branch review of the Manx Grand Prix and Classic TT events.

The Manx Grand Prix has offered amateur riders the opportunity to compete on the famous TT Mountain Course for almost a hundred years, and is set to celebrate its centenary in 2023. Many former Manx Grand Prix competitors have gone on to enjoy success at the TT and in world championships.

The Classic TT meanwhile has run since 2013, quickly establishing itself as the world’s premier road racing event for classic racing motorcycles, attracting a host of star riders and exotic machinery since its inception.

The review will consider a number of factors linked to the successful delivery of the events including the organisational structure, operational resource and safety risk management, as well as scheduling, event duration, race classes, marketing and communications. The review will also assess the impact that staging these events has on the local community.

The Manx Motor Cycle Club and the Isle of Man Department for Enterprise are committed to delivering sustainable events that are viable in a post pandemic world. It is anticipated that if there are any changes made that would impact on the 2022 events, these will be communicated by the end of the current calendar year.

Peter Maddocks, Chairman of the Manx Motor Cycle Club:

“The world has changed and continues to change in light of the Covid-19 pandemic and we need to be prepared to adapt as we bring these events back in 2022 after a two-year hiatus to ensure their future success and sustainability”.

Anyone wishing to contribute to this review may do so by visiting: https://bit.ly/MGP_CTT_Survey

14-08-2021, 08:50 AM
Website Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 365
RE: MANX GRAND PRIX AND CLASSIC TT REVIEW CONFIRMED
Done mine, but be warned it's not a multiple choice questionnaire,
 it's a " write your suggestions in this box & that's your lot" type thing.
Very succinct!
Probably the best way, no "leading" questions this way.
14-08-2021, 09:28 AM
Website Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Done mine too.  What I said is copied below (Malcolm - if you don't think it's appropriate for me to do that then please edit it out!)

The Classic TT suffers from attrition during the races (inevitably) so I would look at shortening the races to 3 laps and taking a bigger entry.  The races could start in pairs (they do this in practice) so a bigger entry could actually clear the grid sooner than the current entry starting singly.  Think of a way to attract more TZ350s into the Lightweight CTT - separate award structure?  - there must be loads still out there.  Re-introduce a separate 250 class into the Junior CTT to break up the relentless barrage of 350 Hondas, rather than have a handful mixed into the entry as it is now.

The MGP doesn't much in the way of changing.  The class structures are about right but some forethought will need to be given to the Junior & Senior as 600s become older.  That said they'll be racing these at club level for years yet.

Rather than run the events separately I would run 1 Classic & 1 MGP per race day.  It will help to publicise the MGP and remove that image that everything is over once the Classic TT is done.  The event is branded as The Festival of Motorcycling, so the whole thing needs to be given equal prestige, not just the bits with 'TT' in the title.
14-08-2021, 12:51 PM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
5 days is more than a third of the original 14 day practice/race schedule - anybody know what has been diluted / reduced / removed from the whole event ??
https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-m...to-change/
(This post was last modified: 17-01-2022, 12:35 PM by Alfie Noakes.)
17-01-2022, 12:34 PM
Find Reply
Dogsbody Offline

Threads: 10
Full details
https://www.bikesportnews.com/news/news-...classic-tt
Briefly Classic TT name dropped, now Classic Manx, two races only, no newcomers races , Three MGP races, practice every night. Marshals will do seven days, Sunday off, back on the Monday. Not much wiggle room left if it rains though.
17-01-2022, 12:57 PM
Find Reply
sprocket Offline

Threads: 7
So, with no newcomers 'race' I assume they will be mixed in with the rest of the competitors for each race? or am I missing something ?
17-01-2022, 03:23 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

I'm wondering how many GP250 2-pokes and Moto3 bikes will be on the grid for the MGP Lightweight ? ... and as Dogs mentioned there's very little if any space for crash / weather / emergency access practice delays to be re-arranged.....I can understand all the safety based blather but crucially the blather doesn't ever seem to take into account that more having more practice available makes for the riders having more consistent course knowledge and confidence.
17-01-2022, 03:47 PM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 124
https://manxgrandprix.org/mgp2022/?fbcl

Personally I'm very disappointed! just glad I had not booked our normal three weeks!

Few less beer vouchers needed!
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
17-01-2022, 11:03 PM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 124
Booked yesterday evening and very few sailings available on the return, none to Liverpool that week. I guess lots were already returning from the Classic TT as was.
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
18-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
I was never a fan of the Classic TT format which effectively created two separate race meetings in one. I have competed in both MGP’s and Classic TT’s and always thought that the whole Classic TT_MGP programme was unbalanced. When the Classic TT ended the paddock became very, very quiet and presumably the visiting spectators disappeared too, losing the Island income. Also the anomaly of Classic TT competitors paying no entry fees whilst MGP competitors paid was simply wrong. Changes were definitely required and this revised format is the outcome of the review.

Like Alfie Noakes I’m not convinced there’s the potential for a full grid of Moto3 and GP250’s. I see no reason why these classes couldn’t be combined with Junior Classic machines, provided the required qualifying speed was set appropriately and applied equally to all three machine types.

In addition, we all know that the Isle of Man isn’t known for it’s consistently warm, dry climate and the programme is very tight so, as Dogsbody points out, there’s ‘Not much wiggle room left if it rains though’. It’s all very well increasing practice time but two or three cancelled sessions will put all teams on the back foot.

As far as the Newcomers arrangements go when I first took part in the Manx in 1993, there were no special provisions and it never occurred to me that they were required. All riders are at least National Licence holders and therefore already deemed competent to take part.

Finally I’d like to see far less focus on ‘the stars’ and, hopefully, the demise of the Classic TT will address this. The MGP has always been intended as a stepping stone to the TT, not as a money-making opportunity to those who had their chance in June. By all means let them come if they want to but have them pay their way like the rest of us. The money spent on them could either be saved or used to give all the background people, marshals, scrutineers, administrators paddock organisers etc. etc. those unrecognised contributors to the event who make the races what they are, with some, not necessarily financial, reward. However, I must declare an interest here as I’ve converted from competitor to marshal.

Whatever the MGP becomes, I’m so glad it and the TT will return in 2022. I, and I’m sure all of us, have really missed these incredible events.

PS - I’m so happy that this forum is running again, I’ve investigated the alternatives and this is by far the best. All the credit is due to you Malcolm for operating the forum through some very difficult times. Many, many thanks for all your efforts.
18-01-2022, 10:54 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

I'd second all that BSA, back in the day as MGP newcomer I applied as soon as I had a national licence which if I recall correctly was achieved after 10 novice jacket meetings then 10 national restricted licence meetings there was nothing else you had to have and I don't remember the standard of riders being lacking or a lack of newcomers. With reference to the practice time available in such a tight window I can't recall at recent TT or MGP a run of even 5 days when there was no time lost due to weather or red flags etc.....i'm guessing that the newcomers have been absorbed into their relevant classes or have no newcomers been accepted this year ??
18-01-2022, 06:12 PM
Find Reply