E.C.E. BARAGWANATH (EDWIN, TED)
Anonymous
Unregistered

E.C.E. BARAGWANATH (EDWIN, TED)
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON EDWIN (TED) BARAGWANATH AS I AM HIS GREAT NIECE.
HE ALSO RACED AT BROOKLANDS.
22-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: E.C.E. BARAGWANATH (EDWIN, TED)
He was a very distinguished competitor. I am sure you will get loads of info from our members.
22-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The name rings a bell.In the 60s I believe the BRITISH MOTORCYCLE RACING CLUB used to hold a trophy day race meeting with this name.If so I would suggest you get in touch with them as they would have archive information on this person.
If I have the wrong name I stand corrected
22-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe this will start the ball rolling.

E.C.E. Baragwanath built an outfit which was to make motorcycling history. He took the most powerful racing engine marketed for motorcycle use and supercharged it! It was as fast, if not faster than, the majority of contemporary solos, and as to be expected, capable of lapping the banked circuit at considerably over 100mph.
When he retired in the early thirties the outfit was sold to Noel Pope, who used it in both solo and chair form, then he installed a later engine and finally set the Brooklands lap record at 106mph sidecar and 124mph solo.

After the war Noel used the old Brough in an unsuccessful attempt on the World Record at Bonneville. Finally C.E. 'Titch' Allen bought the remnants and set about rebuilding the model in its original vintage trim. The machine is based on a Brough Superior 'Pendine' model. Castle forks are used at the front. These, based on a Harley-Davidson design, employ short leading bottom link. Both wheels have 21inch diametre rims. The brakes are 7inch front and 8inch rear.

The engine is an 8/50 type J.A.P which, in unblown form, developed about 50bhp. Bevel gears drive a 50 degree twin-cylinder magneto mounted on a platform on the timing chest, and outside this is carried the double Pilgrim pump which operates a total loss oil system. Two heavy-gauge alloy plates carry the Powerplus supercharger just forward of the down-tube. The three-speed, super-heavyweight Sturmey archer gearbox, has an optional positive stop footchange mechanism, although Barry retained hand change for Brooklands events.

The bare essentials - that sums up the sidecar. It has a 'proper' body, with a wooden floor and a one-piece alloy shell streamlind to cheat the wind and copied from one of the floats of the Schneider Trophy winning seaplane of 1929. The whole outfit has a fiercely impressive air of power. It is an apt memorial to one of the greatest figures in the golden age of tuner-rider.

22-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

...and you can see a pic of this outfit on the page below !!

<A HREF="http://www.motorjournal.cz/2003/29/mj29.html">http://www.motorjournal.cz/2003/29/mj29.html</A>
22-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Arthur
My son has just bought 4 race meeting brochures for the Baragwanath Trophy race Meeting on e-bay.
Can't wait to see tham.
23-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

LORRAINE,

GREAT I LOOKED UP SOME OLD STUFF FROM MY RACING DAYS AND YES THERE WAS A BARAGWANATH TROPHY MEETING, WHICH WHEN I RODE IN IT WAS HELD BY B.M.C.R.C AT SILVERSTONE. I REMEMBER NOW THAT IT WAS FOR NONE INTERNATIONAL LICENSE HOLDERS AS I HAD TO LET SOMEONE ELSE TAKE MY RIDE IN 1963 WHEN I QUALIFIED FOR MY INTERNATIONAL LICENSE.
IT SAYS IN THE PROGRAMME I HAVE FOUND

THE BARAGWANATH TROPHY, Presented in memory of the late E.C.E.BARAGWANATH to be held for 1 year to the driver whose race average is nearest the existing class lap record.
23-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Arthur
We still have some of his trophys. My Grandfather Alfred Baragwanath used to ride side-car with E.C.E.B. Apparently E.C.E.B. was quite a lad in his time. Any other information would be appreciated.
Lorraine
24-06-2005, 09:56 AM
TonyMock Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
RE: E.C.E. BARAGWANATH (EDWIN, TED)
I was also keen to discover more about Edwin (Ted) Baragwanath since he has the same name as my mother whose family history I was researching. An article in the June 1994 Motor Sport by William Boddy described Ted's exploits tuning Brough Superiors for racing at Brooklands. In one case, a machine that he tuned for G.L.Parkes went so fast it went over the top of the Members' Banking over some nearby trees and spiked railings to land in the entrance road near the paybooth. Unfortunately the motorcyclist did not survive the flight and the gate-keeper and someone else in the paybooth having a chat were taken to hospital.

The article led to my writing to its author who sent me a very informative reply.

Ted or E C E Baragwanath must surely be your Edwin Charles Baragwanath. I did not know, or have forgotten, that he had a garage in Camden Town, North London, but it is extremely likely. He certainly used to sit on the step outside a house there and dispense useful hints and tips to other motorcyclists, especially those tuning big twin-cylinder engines, notwithstanding that he was by the 1920's very famous indeed as a racing motorcyclist, both at Brooklands Track in Surrey and elsewhere.
I recall him as wearing a wing collar and, was it, a bow tie. He rode mostly big machines like his Brough Superiors, both solo and sidecar, and took important lap and other records at Brook lands, where he first raced in 1912. If you want a full record of his exploits there, from then to 1929, you need "Bikes at Brooklands in the Pioneer Years" by Peter Hartley and “Brooklands in the Twenties”, by the same author. Not that Baragwanath stopped in 1929, where the second book ends; the author never wrote a third volume, despite several prods from me. He now seems to have disappeared and the books (published in 1973/1980 by Goose & Son/Argus Books Ltd) are long out of print. You might be able to obtain copies from the second-hand booksellers who advertise in the back of Motor Sport. (The first book has 9 pages indexed to Ted, the second one has 19 plus reference to a cup he donated.)
There are several other books that refer, but perhaps the above are sufficient for the moment. Barry really was a highly-respected person in the motorcycle racing world; he got a gold star for lapping Brooklands at 100 mph or over in 1931, riding a sidecar outfit. Others you should contact are C E Alien, BEM of the Vintage Motor-Cycle Club, who has a Brough outfit from the Barry period; and Dr Joseph Bayley, who knows almost everything about the motorcycle racing at the Track.

The books that I have obtained are two books by Jeff Clew about JAP and published by Haynes; one has a photograph of Ted.

I have tried to link ECE Baragwanath with the Baragwnaths of my mother's family who originally came from the area around St Ives in Cornwall and to anyone else currently researching the Baragwanath family tree, but without much success. If you have any other information, I would be extremely keen to hear from you - although I apprerciate that it is a few years since your original posting
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2009, 02:21 PM by TonyMock.)
23-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
Just for the record here is a picture of E.C.E. and the Brough.
[Image: 33.jpg]
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
24-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

I have also heard him refered to as "Barry" Baragwanath so that may help in your searches.
This quote confirms the bowtie mentioned above:
" Brooklands riders kept thier neckties until the war, with 'Barry' Baragwanath keeping his detachable collar and bowtie until the end of his career" (The Vintagent)
Here is another photo of the outfit:
[Image: Barrys%20big%20blown%20brough.jpg]
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
24-12-2008, 02:12 AM
Find Reply
Chris Maybury Offline

Threads: 1
There is a good account of "Barry's" Brooklands exploits and successes featured in "Brough Superior - The Rolls Royce of Motor Cycles", by Ronald H. Clark, published in 1964.There's just over three pages of text and two very good photos, (winged collar and all!).

Don's picture above, dipicts the final version of the Brough outfit and the supercharger is clearly visible, mounted between the light alloy engine plates forward of the frame.
***A Balanced Meal is a FULL PINT in Each Hand***
(This post was last modified: 28-12-2008, 11:09 AM by Chris Maybury.)
28-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Find Reply
Spartan Offline
Just Getting Started

I was doing a little googling to find out the origins of The Baragwanath Trophy. I came across this thread. Those on this thread might be interested to know that The Baragwanath Trophy is going to be awarded this coming Saturday (18/04/09). A contributor to the thread already eluded to the links with The BMCRC. This coming weekend The BMCRC are holding their centenary celebrations race meeting at Brands Hatch.

The Baragwanath Trophy will be awarded to the winner of the MRO Triumph Triple Challenge superpole race.

I am very gratefull to this thread for providing me with some information that I can pass on to the lucky (and no doubt worthy) recipient of this great trophy.
14-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Find Reply
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23
Spartan Wrote:I was doing a little googling to find out the origins of The Baragwanath Trophy. I came across this thread. Those on this thread might be interested to know that The Baragwanath Trophy is going to be awarded this coming Saturday (18/04/09). A contributor to the thread already eluded to the links with The BMCRC. This coming weekend The BMCRC are holding their centenary celebrations race meeting at Brands Hatch.

The Baragwanath Trophy will be awarded to the winner of the MRO Triumph Triple Challenge superpole race.

I am very gratefull to this thread for providing me with some information that I can pass on to the lucky (and no doubt worthy) recipient of this great trophy.

Great so the trophy in his memory is still living and competed for.
A nice gesture would be to ask Lorrain, his great neice, to present it to the winner.
14-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Find Reply
Chris Thackeray Offline

Bit slow reading this but anyway dug this out for you today.

[Image: DSC_0190use.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0193use.jpg]

You will notice one very famous TT rider in the list below, who now lives in the Isle of man.

[Image: DSC_0195use.jpg]
15-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
"You will notice one very famous TT rider in the list below, who now lives in the Isle of man".

And one other rider whom we have met!!

Was it a genuine 351, Chris, or a Fablon Special??

Wink
15-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Find Reply
Chris Thackeray Offline

larryd Wrote:"You will notice one very famous TT rider in the list below, who now lives in the Isle of man".

And one other rider whom we have met!!

Was it a genuine 351, Chris, or a Fablon Special??

Wink

Errrrrrrr do I have to say??? well of course it was legal or genuine 351cc or 347cc take your pick Smile

Have to say, what ever happened to "stop engines" and push starts??

30 years on i really do think that my Ninja 636 pulls like the TZ speed wise, kinda shows you how fast the little 347/351 twin was.
15-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Website Find Reply
Bemsee Offline
Just Getting Started

(22-06-2005, 01:12 PM)Anonymous Wrote: DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON EDWIN (TED) BARAGWANATH AS I AM HIS GREAT NIECE.
HE ALSO RACED AT BROOKLANDS.

If you would care to contact me i have some relevant information about "Barry" I am using for our club Bemsee History project. admin@clubracing.co.uk
21-12-2020, 12:57 AM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 364
I hope this gets picked up by the original poster.

& surely it must be some kind of record?
15 years to reply to a post!  Icon_biggrin
21-12-2020, 02:19 PM
Website Find Reply
Bemsee Offline
Just Getting Started

Photo  RE: E.C.E. BARAGWANATH (EDWIN, TED)
Yup a long time, but then only just found the post  Icon_biggrin  to be honest Bemsee have little or no involvement in the TT so not a forum I would have visited. It was only on a Google search for "Barry" that his rather unique name pointed this way. I have a picture of the old chap at one of our annual award dinners he is wearing his wing collar and Gold Star I don't currently have a web host so can't post up the picture here. It would indeed be nice if the original poster was to see the  thread.
07-01-2021, 04:47 PM
Find Reply