Alan Hope Chief Sector Marshal
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40
Alan Hope Chief Sector Marshal
I have posted this on iomtt.com as well it is worth repeating here.

I'm not sure if the guy concerned will appreciate what I am about to say but TTel has confirmed that the second Chief Sector marshal who has quit is Alan Hope.

I must have known Alan better than anyone from 'across',he was my brother-in-law. But this has nothing to do with past relationships.

'Hopey' was in charge from the Grandstand to Trolloby Lane which is the far side of Union Mills up the hill past the garage and I think his loss as a marshal, for his experience and dedication is absolutely tragic. Alan had been marshalling for over thirty years, TT; Manx Grand Prix and for many years he also turned out for the Manx rallies as well.

He had worked his way up from marshal at Union Mills bridge(I used to be with him there)then Deputy sector marshal from the Railway Hotel to Trolloby Lane. then he moved to Quarter Bridge where he has been for many years as Deputy Sector and finally Chief Sector Marshal.

'Hopey' had a tough year in 2005; particularly the Manx with three fatalities in his Sector. Two on the track and the tragic RTA on Peel Road when a visitor died and his bike came under the rope.

Nothing to do with the racing but that didn't stop the ACU gobsh*tes including this accident in the TT/MGP fatality statistics. Plus a massive accident on Quarter Bridge Road in the Senior newcomers, where he was actully stationed on the day and the Travelling marshal's crash at St. Ninians. There was also the ontroversial Undercover marshal issue at the Bottom of Bray Hill, (which also involved me)but again an incident in his sector.

Alan Hope's loss is immeasurable and the reason he has called it a day " because of the criticisms of marshalling in the Isle of Man, by the press and others.

A sad, sad, day. Sad
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
05-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

I have to say that reading this posting really brought home to me just how bad a marshalls lot can be. To have all of those incidents to cope with in one way or another would be more than enough for any mere mortal. We all (competitors and spectators alike) rely on these stalwarts more than most realise. We all owe it to them to see that they get heard and get a fair crack of the whip too.
I dont know if Mr Alan Hope ever follows these pages, but I would like to put on record my personal thanks for all the effore and personal sacrifice made by Alan and his comrades. That includes Peter Fay and co at Sulby crossroads (if you are watching...)
These are difficult times for all concerned and I sincerely hope we can see our way through.

Lets not forget those who work so tirelessly on our behalf....

MV
06-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32

As you have mentioned under the Neil Hodgson story, Charlie, it is completely baffling that only one person has responded to your posting on the retirement of Alan Hope, the sector marshal.I saw the posting yesterday, but I haven't had time to make any comment until now.
We really cannot allow Alan to retire without more "posters" adding their threepennyworth.It is of course ridiculous that the ACU included the Quarter Bridge/Peel Road accident to be included in official statistics. Who needs enemies, when your own side takes you out in one easy swoop?
Before we know what, we really will have insufficient marshals to man(woman) the course. Can nothing be done to persuade Alan to change his mind?
It is however, understandable, in the light of recent events, that ordinary individuals, who give up their valuable time, look twice at what they are letting themselves in for. I'm sure a great deal of damage is being done currently, and we must act now before it's too late.
I'm not entirely convinced that my brother Tony is being helpful with his remarks on the DJ website, but they are HIS views, and given what his family have been through, it is perhaps understandable that his views differ to those of others.
Would someone from the Marshals Association like to come forward to present their side of the current issues, and perhaps give us some idea of the support they think they are likely to need this year?
07-01-2006, 01:55 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I'm sorry I haven't posted sooner, but work has been a bit hectic. I am devastated that Alan has given up, as he was, of course, the Sector Marshall for Bray, where I marshall. He is a thoroughly professional and highly experienced marhall and just the sort of person we need more of.
Perhaps some of the people who have been scathing about marshalling would like to justify their attacks, given Charlie's excellent posting. Maybe they would like to try just keeping up with Alan on a typical day, and, of course, last year we had several days which were far from typical.
Marshalls are volunteers, doing the best they can, just as riders do. When a rider "causes" a crash, we do not pillory him, and neither should we. When the very people who come along in their own time...not just to marshall on the day, but also for training...half day or whole days training in their TT holiday (oh...there's that bad word again...ACU officials don't have holidays, do they?) have more to cope with than is possible...it's their fault??
I was marshalling at the time the rider crashed at Ago's and the spectator at QB. No reasonable person could have expected two accidents of that magnitude at the same time, in the same short distance.
Marshalls from each post from St Ninian's down, moved like lightning to deal with them, and did so very effectively and efficiently (funny I never heard any praise for them from the ACU??)
Alan coordinated all that, while, all around him and us, the racing continued. Beat that on a short circuit...the race would have been stopped, wouldn't it?
I am going to have to stop because I am SO ANGRY about the injustice, the ingratitude and lack of respect of the ACU (not the riders).
THANK YOU, ALAN, for all the years I have, and rider friends have, been supported and protected by you and your team, mostly unknown and unseen by the people who matter to us marshalls...that's YOU..the riders.
It's time some people showed a little appreciation for the guys who DON'T get their expenses and the big free dinners...ask a few questions folks, like the absence of ACU officials when presentations are made...the scheduling of such events?...for whose benefit?
I'm stopping now before I get so angry I have to ban myself!
07-01-2006, 05:56 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

Just a thought, but I know many riders who ARE very grateful for the help they have had after an accident, and some who know their lives were saved by marshalls...if you are reading this, PLEASE post...you don't have to say who you are, just ergister your thanks, and maybe a story or two.
07-01-2006, 05:57 AM
irishago Offline

Threads: 18
Alan Hope...
Alan Hope an unmeasureable loss to the TT Races as a whole and a very good friend. I have been Racing on the Island for over 20 years on and off
and without people like Alan Hope and the other Sector Marshals and their crews their would be no TT Races and then were would we all be Racing around Brands and the likes, I dont think so. I myself have come across many accidents and incidents and witnessed a few to and i take my hat off to the Men and Women (Marshals) who deal with these incidents. Its funny many years ago back in the early 70,s before i started Racing i might add, i to was a Marshal thats were it all started for me. Until one day while marshaling i thought to myself i could do that , Race i mean so i did and have been doing it ever since. I think the powers that be tend to forget the TT Course is not Brands Hatch or Donnington Park it takes a special type of Marshaling to take control of things at the TT Races and we have that in guys like Alan Hope i know a lot of the sector marshals and their crews around the coures and it saddens me to see them stepping down over the bad press they are getting at the moment. I have never come across an incident which was being delt with badly and i am one of the riders who obays the flag signels ive had flag men complain to me about some of the top guys disobaying their signals i could name a few but wont i think they know who they are....I would like to Thank everybody who has ever Marshalled at the TT Races thank you from the bottom of my heart for your outstanding support over the and long my it continue Roll on TT 06 Ride Safe and Free Always Irish Ago....
07-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Website Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

I have just sent the following to Roger and Jan Hurst chairman and secretary of the TTMA, respectively. I thought it was worth copying it here.

Roger and Jan,

As you may may have seen I have posted on the ttwebsite and iomtt.com about the loss of Alan Hope as Chief Sector Marshal for sector one . His actual sector doesn't make a scrap of difference, it's his loss to marshalling that is an absolute tragedy. For the races, TT and MGP, but for his experience and dedication gained after during over thirty years of sevice with the TTMA.

The replies are finally starting to come in, people like Nick Jefferies, Helen (admin' on the ttwebsite) who has marshalled at Bray Hill for years, and others adding to my original message. Please, please make sure that Alan gets these messages, printed copies,whatever.

The Manx Independent running the sort of rubbish they've just done, using Neil Hodgson, I can understand how Manx marshals feel. They can't even get support in their own country.

'Hopey' needs to know, we want him to know, that there are many, many people that are grateful for his selfless service over many years and that we don't want to loose him.

Then maybe, just maybe, he may change his mind.

Charlie Hulse

P.S I know 'Gordy' Moore has also quit from sector 6 but I noticed that he is listed as a director, so has not been lost completely.
07-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Website Find Reply
TT TECH Offline

Threads: 5

Clubmen Suport Themselves
07-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Find Reply
beetroot Offline

Threads: 0

im a rider in the manx grand prix who has been unfortunate to have a big crash this year during a wet practise session at glen helen. i suffered two badly broken legs and a broken back, i can honestly say that without the help from every single marshall in that area i think shock would of kicked in soon after i saw i had done. they were responsible for keeping me calm, getting me help, lifting me onto a stretcher and then carrying me a huge distance to the helicopter(about half an hour).
every single rider out there at every circuit knows how vital and important marshalls are in this sport. without you we dont have this sport we love so much, without you i would dread to think of the outcome of my injuries if you hadnt been the proffesional body of VOLUNTEERS that you are. i owe you all big time!
we always try and thank marshalls after meets as well as paramedics and aircrew, but sometimes we get caught up in the moment and head straight for a beer being the bunch of selfish gits we are :oops:
so alan , 2005 was a horrific year for yourself and every marshall that dealt with the occurences. nobody can deny that you did an excellent job in getting it all sorted. we need people like yourselves, your knowledge and experience is vital to the sport if it is to continue.
im not one for putting words down but please let it be known that you are all appreciated more than you can imagine, you save lives which you never get the credit for. IF i ever get on that podium i WILL be singing your praises. as should every one lucky enough to stand up there!
mick
07-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Thanks Ago and Beetroot...can we have more of the same...there are loads of you out there who have had scary moments and been helped by the marshalls. this is your chance to say thanks and help them get the recognition they deserve.
07-01-2006, 03:23 PM
cargo
Unregistered

I marshalled on the TT course for the frist time last year it was for the MGP newcommers race. The whole experience was throughly rewarding and I would recommend it to anyone.

Also as a MGP competitor I have attended the marshalls supper on the middle Sunday of MGP this also is a rewarding experience and more competitors should attended. It's a wonderful way to say thank you to the marshalls (and a cheap meal for a pennyless racer)

I can only hope that this is not the begining of a flood of marshalls quiting and that those who have decided to walk can be persuaded to return. Motorcycle road racing cannot survive without marshalls they are all selfless volunteers who spend two weeks "working" for little or no reward and people should remember that.

I for one will be at my post again this year even if it is only for one race day.

Cargo
(MGP Rider and proud to be Gorselea marshall (part time))
07-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Carolynn Offline

Threads: 3

I too have marshalled at the MGP in the days before I raced there, it was my way of doing my bit when my Dad was racing and I loved it.

I am so very sorry to hear about Alan's resignation from his post and also Gordy's, I really hope you both reconsider, people with such huge experience and wealth of knowledge are irreplacable and the sport needs you.
07-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Website Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

This is more like the response I expected.

Thank you people, lets hope the TTMA can get all these heart felt messages to 'Hopey' and persuade him to reconcider. I know he was my brother-in-law but, as I said in the first post, it is not about relationships. It is about helping Alan AND OTHERS to put all the negative stuff into context. And to let them know just how much they are VALUED.
07-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Website Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

I have also done some marshalling on the TT course,when I was not competing or helping Gail,and I must say,it felt very rewarding and I enjoyed it.There have also been times when I have felt very vulnerable and inadequate.John and I have been at Ballagarey corner (Glen Vine) with just a local bobby,and also at the 32nd milestone on our own spectating---NO MARSHALS, when there was a serious incident and the helicopter was called. I believe that it was only the fact that we were riders ourselves that we knew how to react.Things have changed in recent years,much for the better,and I wouldn't hesitate to state that I would put all my faith in the commitment of the marshals.I know several of them personally, and believe me,they know what they are doing.
The ACU should recognise how much they owe them and the fact that if they paid the marshals what they were worth, they wouldn't be having many more free lunches! I am sure that each TT & MGP competitor would be more than happy to pay a little more on their entry fees if they knew that the marshals would benefit.I know I would.
07-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Find Reply
Barry Wood Offline

post subject
Allan Hope is a good friend of mine, and many times after a meeting, we have had a jar in the Cat with No Tail and discussed events from both riders' and marshals' points of view. Get Allan and Brian Curphey (40+ years marshalling, latterly flagging at Hillberry) together chatting about the TT and Manx, I could listen all night to them.
It is with sadness I have learned of Allan's decision, and I have been so busy working during the last couple of weeks, I haven't had time to catch up with him. In many ways I can't say as I blame him, not just regarding the many traumatic incidents which have manifested themselves during 2005, but, also, the the TT course marshals en masse having the finger pointed at them, unnecessarily, a couple of years ago. I supported them fully through that time and I fully support them now.
As I mentioned in a recent posting on this board, the "old school" are disappearing fast, and their likes will not be seen again. Experience of the likes of Allan Hope, Brian Curphey, Gordie Moore, Jack Ward etc can not be attained overnight. New marshals, no matter how well-meaning they may be, need these experienced characters to look up to.
I had a spill at Union Mills in practice for the 1999 TT, and it was Allan and his son who lifted me over the gate on a stretcher and into the waiting helicopter. These times of uncertainty are compounded by sad news such as this. I wonder how I would react myself if I were Allan. Just how much do you put up with?
I would take this opportunity to publicly declare my support and respect for all our TT , MGP, S.100 and other road race marshals, and say a big Thank You for all your collective help during my own career--and I've been lifted off the road more times than I care to remember :oops:
Please give it some more thought Allan--and I'd like very much to see you back on duty in May!
07-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Glad they were there to pick you up, Barry!!
07-01-2006, 08:30 PM
charlie hulse Offline

Yeh! thanks Barry, I have now remembered that its A L L A N :oops:

The last time I saw him was at the Manx last year, on his birthday and he's was going straight to the Cat .... after racing. Top bloke, get him sorted out.
07-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Website Find Reply
Barry Wood Offline

post subject
That would be 31st August then Charlie. Allan and me share the same birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!
07-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

But not the same age eh! Barry. But he's still to young to retire !!!
07-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Website Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12

Not much more that I can add, except what would we have done and what will we do without them.

For anyone to attack the dedication and ability of our Marshalls, is shamefull and a disgrace, fortunately I never needed or received their help or assistance, other than having the generous use of a marshalls garage in Onchan.

I hope that with reflection Allan will change his mind, the T.T and MGP needs people like him, if he does not he has my personal gratitude for being there and I wish him all the best for the future

A spill at Union Mills? don't fancy the idea of that very much.

All marshalls have my 110% support and gratitude.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
08-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Find Reply