BBC - Wrong or what?
Mark Edgeley Offline

Threads: 5
BBC - Wrong or what?
I thought the second Supersport was dropped because of the mechanical breakdowns and not for the reasons stated by the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/...601820.stm
11-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

I heard that on Radio Ulster today -- " for safety reasons".

More stupidity, if in fact this reason was given by the authorities.

Machine failure as a reason I could understand - a highly tuned 600 is not the strongest of motors over two fairly long races.
11-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40
BBC Statement
I have sent the following message to BBC News online

I find the article that the BBC has written about the Isle of Man TT 2006 absolutely deplorable. It is stated that the organisers have dropped "a danger race because of the high fatality rate"

That is not what the announcement said,

The official statement was clear:

"There were two Supersport races at TT 2005, and whilst the racing was close and exciting, the organisers have to recognise that "there was a high mechanical mortality rate" in the second race. The prize fund from this race will be reinvested into the overall start and prize money fund."

I cannot accept that this was a mistake even the most junior typist can read the difference between the statement and the BBC's contentious and biased report. I am directly responsible for the setting up of a safety charity which will help to raise the safety standards in the Isle of Man in particular, and motorcycle Road Racing in general, throughout the UK; and I am disgusted at what I am certain, in my own mind, is a yet another deliberate attempt smear the TT races.
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
11-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Website Find Reply
ttwebsite Offline
Administrator

Threads: 44
Make Your Complaint Direct
If you want to make a complaint to the BBC you can do so here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/make_complaint.shtml

Go on do it, after all we all own it as licence payers and have a right to voice our opinions.
Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by traffic from both sides.
11-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Website Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

The BBC have now edited their article. A victory however small, but a victory non the less!
11-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Website Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12

Good result Charlie, your complaint worked.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
11-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Well done, Charlie.
11-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39

That was a rotten article the BBC put together. There was no need to do that and there is no excuse either. It couldn't have been a mistake. But for as long as the TT has ran and will run in the future, it will be an easy target for journalists who have an agenda against the event or who are just looking for a juicy story based around danger.

There is nothing any of you or I can do to stop this apart from doing everything we can to make sure that the event is as safe and successful as it possibly can be, something I know is already very well in hand.

Paul
11-01-2006, 11:44 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I believe there was a similar "misinterpretation" in Ireland, which has been challenged.
Why didn't the ACU just say "breakdowns" instead of using rubbish jargon "mechanical mortality". What a stupid thing to say.
11-01-2006, 11:50 PM
charlie hulse Offline

Kev Collier who is the RaceGuard treasurer/trustee and Admin on FlyingSparks also emailed the Beeb " he got a reply, I sent two messages and I haven't had one.
12-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390

Likewise Charlie, they couldn't be bothered to respond to the complaint that I also submitted to them.

Malcolm.
12-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Website Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

So you see folks it wasn't just me, thanks to Malcolm and Kevin and any others who saw fit to have a go back.

If only it was that easy with the ACU.........Wouldn't life be sweet!!
12-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Website Find Reply