All Island Speed Limit
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
All Island Speed Limit
Coming over the radio this afternoon that an all Island Speed Limit is being called for and that it has to be introduced sooner rather than later.

70 mph on the mountain and 60 in other rural areas.

Apparently being called for because of the number of RTA fatalities last year.
18-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Website Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Someone who used to live on the Island told me a while ago that the Highways board would love to put cats eyes over the Mountain, but they cant cos its a race track :!: :!: :!: :!:
18-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

Here we go again.The c**p drivers have to be protected from themselves.Why on earth can't the government see that drivers need to be better educated.An accident usually occurrs because both parties are not sufficiently qualified in the necessary skills needed to survive on the open road.A sufficiently qualified driver/rider can often avoid a potentially life threatening situation involving a couldn't-care-less road user simply because of his or her skills.It is high time that all governments concerned realised this and insisted on a far stricter driving test which also involved an eyesight test.There are far too many drivers out there who simply are NOT capable of dealing with the skills needed to deal with the busy roads of today.It is a simple solution which would rid the roads of people who should not be driving on them in the first place. Evil
18-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16

It's the same here, it's is continually reported that the Governments and Councils must do more to improve the roads, certain people should not be allowed to drive fast cars (probably wise where the youngsters are concerned), we must remove trees in dangerous spots, etc, etc, but the reality is that we will never be able to protect people against their stupid selves and no amount of education given to these hopeless drivers will improve their skills.
18-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

At work the other day there was an accident, one car driver hit another car. How many cars were in the car park at the time? Just the two :!: :!: :!: Lol Lol Lol .
19-01-2006, 07:59 PM
ttwebsite Offline
Administrator

Threads: 44
SPEEDSTERS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED - MINISTER
As reported on IOMonline

A MAXIMUM speed limit could reduce the number of accidents in the Island, according to the Transport Minister.
In Tynwald on Tuesday night Phil Braidwood said his department will consult the public on whether an Island-wide maximum speed limit of 60mph in most areas should be enforced or whether that speed limit should be lower or no overall speed limit should apply.

If supported, the move could see rural roads restricted to 60mph and the Snaefell Mountain Road to 70mph with an extension of enforcement measures, including mobile speed cameras.

Mr Braidwood said: 'We have evidence that a small number of motorists continue to drive at unacceptably high speeds on roads not restricted by speed limits.

'As a result, the number of fatal and serious injury road traffic accidents continues to increase.

'Introducing a maximum speed limit must assist in reducing these unacceptable figures.'

Mr Braidwood said road traffic accidents on derestricted roads have continued to increase since 2003, in which there were seven fatalities compared with nine in last year.

He added the worst accident locations are on the Mountain Road, with over 40 per cent of the total number of accidents, of which between 60 and 90 per cent were speed-related.

To tackle the problem the department plans to introduce speed cameras to help the police enforce speed limits, introduce lower speed limits in accident hotspots, promote legislation to increase the driving age for young drivers and extend the period to two years for displaying R plates.

The issue was met by controversy when it was raised by former Transport Minister John Shimmin in 2004.

The department received 408 letters, with 281 firmly against it and a petition was mounted on a website with 3,100 signatures, of which 1,325 were Manx residents.
Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by traffic from both sides.
20-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Website Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its simple really if you want to go above the speed limit join a club and you can race till your hearts content.
21-01-2006, 10:16 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

Absoluteley, Pykey.
You know it never ceases to amaze me, the arrogance of people who come to the Island for one or at most two weeks, sometimes just the once, to thrash their bikes, trash them sometimes, occasionally kill themselves and innocent others, but demand that the Isle of Man have laws and regulations to suit them!
Sadly, speed limits are just as relevant for residents in the Isle of Man, who, unfortunately, are just as capable of causing deaths due to stupid driving. For such a small area, it has a very poor record. Too many people are killed due to inappropriate speed.
The whole thing is..if people behaved , there would be no need for any of these laws, and, indeed, all that having them does, is to criminalise stupidity, not necessarily stop it...although it might ban some people from driving/riding, and remove the ability to cause such mayhem.
I love speed, but there is a time and a place. That's why I got involved with racing. I usually spend Mad Sunday in the south of the Island, although I have noticed more "unlicenced racers" there too in recent years. It's sad that our hosts, the Manx people, have to keep their kids and cats inside, not just on Mad Sunday, but sometimes for the whiole fortnight, because it's not safe in their particular part of the Isle of Man, due to irresponsible visitors.
If you want to show how good you are at racing, get a licence...if you're not good enough for the track, keep off the road.
21-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Hilary M Offline

I love it Helen ,"if you're not good enough for the track,keep off the road". Lol That means the roads would be heaven for some of us as 75% of road users would come into that category :?
22-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I'm afraid I think at least 75% of drivers (and riders) should go on the bus!
22-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

There has been no mention of grog!
I was told that most of the drunks that were taken in by the police one year during the fortnight were locals.
It seems unbelievable to me that there is no speed limit on the mountain course outside of race times.
If you tell people there is no limit then you are simply asking for trouble.
They may get a few less visitors but they may be the ones who push too hard and won't be missed.
Unfortunately there are a number of head-on smashes which means, not only are they going fast but they are also on the wrong side of the road, I wonder how you can legislate for that.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
22-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Find Reply
Carolynn Offline

Threads: 3

I do think a large proportion of the factors contributing to the all Island speed limit, on the Mountain especially, are actually down to the amount of fatal and serious crashes that have happened involving locals at a time when there is NO racing on. There have been many over the past year or two including one or two of them during the races, but, at a time when there are no bikes on the road, i.e in the very early hours whilst still dark.
I know that there have been many unfortunate and stupid incidients involving bikes whilst the racing is on and I do not condone some of the riding I have seen and been cut up by (and I know where I am going!) and they will not have helped, but, there have also been a lot of car accidents resulting in loss of life and that is what these speed limits are reaction to, in my opinion.
As we all know, speed limits have been introduced over the years,
in various places, but only initially whilst the racing is on (stand up Kates- Hilberry 60mph etc.) and then have gradually become a permanent fixture. If these new speed limits ONLY targetted the bike racing fraternity and its spectators, they too, would only have been introduced whilst the races are on, initially anyway.
The sad fact is that there is a high proportion of drivers on the road (both car and bike) that should never have been granted a driving licence and it is about time people realised that a vehicle and I mean ANY vehicle, in the wrong hands, is a dangerous weapon.
None of this is to say I agree with the speed limits, I don't agree in principal but, I have to say that you can't blame them for wanting to do something.
Just my opinion.
23-01-2006, 12:25 AM
Website Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

I agree with all that Carolynn.I recently had a letter published in the IoM Examiner regarding my thoughts on the speed limit issue.No amount of legislation will make poor drivers any better,and it is a sad fact that most of those targeted by the various warning signs and speed limits, are the type of person who has no regard or respect for anyone or anything anyway.For that reason alone, no amount of legislation will affect their driving habits,until of course,they are eventually banned off the road.This is however,not the way to to promote better driving.There is only one way to do that,and that is by much better instruction and a far tougher driving test, something which the authorities appear reluctant to introduce.How about us joining forces Carolynn,and showing them all the way forward?
23-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24

Have I logged on to http://www.pious-rant.com by accident???
24-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Find Reply
ade! Offline

Threads: 30

no sam, you've joined the knitting circle with the rest of us Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
ade!
ACU? why not add "nt" to the end, you'll get the idea!
24-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

OK, admit it.

How many of us tried to log on to http://www.pious.rant.com :?:

:oops:

smilie
24-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

:? :roll: :twisted: Not me,I was forewarned
24-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Find Reply
ade! Offline

Threads: 30

nor me, i've corresponded with our sam far too many times to fall for that Big Grin
ade!
ACU? why not add "nt" to the end, you'll get the idea!
24-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Find Reply