its appears to be hitting the fan ????
andy kirk Offline

Threads: 18
its appears to be hitting the fan ????
From Energy FM News Website: (How come nobody else is reporting this story? gagging orders?)

http://www.energyfm.net

TT races in jeopardy - massive row between between race officials and Govt.

Last Updated:19/06/2006 07:27:37

The future of the TT races is serious jeopardy if a rift between the Department of Tourism and the Manx Motor Cycle Club cannot be resolved.

Energy FM revealed on Friday that the Tourism, Minister David Cretney terminated the Clubs contract to run the races, stating that he wanted changes to be made before the contract could be renegotiated. Neither party have indicated what those changes are.

But organising an International race meeting requires officials with the neccessary permits and licences - realistically the Manx Motor Cycle Club are the only organisation with the infrastructure to run the TT safely, most having been part of the original ACU team prior to the Governing body handing over control to the Department of Tourism.

A source within the club told Energy FM that currently - TT 2007 has no organisers - No organisers means no racing.

Notes: The ACU is the Auto Cycle Union, the governing body of motorcycle competition. They ran the TT until 2003 where a 20 year agreemnet was signed to hand over the event to the Manx Government. They in turn contract a recognised ACU Motorclub to operate the race meeting under ACU permit.

interesting stuff.........any body knows the inside story on this ???
19-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

The TT is not an international meeting. Under FIM rules it is classified as a "Classic Meeting". Not be confused with a classic bike meeting
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
19-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

It is listed by the FIM as a "Classic" meeting, Charlie, but that was a sop offered some time ago by the FIM in an attempt to offset the TT's loss of face and stature following the cessation of the Formula One World championship.

It's run under an International Permit - this year's programme notes "FIM International Meeting Number 196/02 - and is an International Race Meeting.

Anyone taking part other than ACU/SACU Licenceholders must hold an International Racing Licence.

ps - DVDs work a treat -- thanks!!

:wink:
19-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

Thanks Larry....

Thanks for clearing that up, I wouldn't want to be posting ANYTHING that was untrue.:roll:

Glad they are finally working. 8)
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
19-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
20-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10

I'm confused. I thought ownership of the TT lay with IoMG and they had engaged the ACU to run it, however that body lost interest in running the meeting (preferring to control it behind the scenes) and signed it over to the MMCC.

So unless I've got me knickers twisted this is entirely between IoMG and the MMCC (unless the ACU wish to take it over again, which I doubt).

A bulletin on iomtt.com attributed to David Cretney indicates this is nothing sinister and just a part of the renegotiation process to twist MMCC's arm on some changes (I wonder what those are).

I don't believe the TT has anything to fear in 2007, even if the jury's out after that.

PS I agree with you Don about the current identikit classes, but you can forget about a classic race as some people in positions of influence have been quoted as saying they feel there is no place for 30 year old bikes or holiday racers on the TT Course. With no 250s either what does that leave?
20-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Website Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, I wonder what those changes will be, too :shock: :shock:

The fact that Mr Parker doesnt think that 30 year old Classic bikes should be racing on the TT course just shows the extent of his knowledge, cos a mere 30 year old doesnt qualify as "Classic", theyve got to be pre 1967 in the case of 2 strokes and pre 1972 in the case of 4 strokes, so he doesnt know what hes talking about anyway, but, whats new in that. My Classic bike isnt 30 years old anyway, Jim, its 40 years old, (1967 250 Bulto) :roll: :roll: :roll:
20-06-2006, 06:53 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

Personally, I love FC's idea of a bike from every year of the TT...I know it wouldn't be a race, and possibly some years would be a bike that didn't actually race there, but what a spectacle!
21-06-2006, 08:03 AM