LAURENCE FLURY - Obituary
thewitch
Unregistered

LAURENCE FLURY - Obituary
04-08-2006, 01:56 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

What a wonderful life. To be celebrated. I wish I had known him. My thoughts are with his family.
04-08-2006, 01:58 PM
boo.12 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Wink  RE: LAURENCE FLURY - Obituary

(04-08-2006, 01:56 PM)thewitch Wrote: LAURENCE FLURY - Obituary

By Allan Robinson

A road racer of the first order Laurie Flury had the distinction of beating Mike Hailwood three times and Derek Minter once all at one International day at Brands Hatch in 1958.

Laurie died on July 18 after tumbling from his 1931 R7 AJS race bike in a sprint at North Weald Aerodrome on Sunday July 16. Taken to hospital with a broken shoulder he was, in true racer tradition making strong objection to having his leathers cut off prior to treatment and in spite of the pain he shrugged them off.

As a 77 year old he was detained for observation and had a massive stroke just as he was about to be discharged which ended his life and which was unconnected with the injuries sustained in the accident.

The day previous to the Sprint he had had a great day racing with the VMCC at Lydden.

Laurie Flury was the elder brother of Norman Flury who runs Watling Tyres at Gravesend, the renowned supplier of race and sports tyres to the world of motorcycling.

Born May 30, 1929 he lived in the County of Kent all his life with the exception of being evacuated to Devon under the care of a Mrs Langdon- Davis the sister of �Scott of the Antarctic�.

He raced the Manx GP four times and the TT at the height of his race career taking home a silver replica in the Junior TT race on a 350cc AJS. He had the beating of many stars and was a Brands Hatch short circuit maestro but his race career cooled after he married and became a father to two boys and a girl and took up racing sailing dinghies with success. It was not until his family had grown that he restarted his motorcycling.

A skilled toolmaker he became a focal point for every race rider who wanted components made or adapted in the workshop attached to his house

A quiet friendly demeanour vanished when he rode with aggression and high skill.

With John Surtees he was one of the first to slide the rear wheel through corners. He maintained his race interests by campaigning Vintage and Classic machines and had won his class at the North Weald Sprint before crashing after completing his final run of the day. He was a member of the famous TT Riders Association and attended their functions and was planning to ride in the TT Centennial celebrations in the Isle of Man in 2007.

His wife Pat predeceased him eleven years ago.

Thank You, I still miss him lots. Ang Flury.
(This post was last modified: 30-06-2013, 08:41 PM by boo.12.)
30-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: LAURENCE FLURY - Obituary
I never knew him, other than as a very good goer.

Very nice obit from the (now) late Allan Robinson.

Welcome aboard, Ang.

Larry Devlin
30-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Find Reply