motostar 250 gp class
andy kirk Offline

Threads: 18
motostar 250 gp class
I have just had official confirmation in writing from Gary Dawson, that Replicast have been awrded the title sponsorship for the 2007 ACU MotoStar Cup 250 Grand Prix class. (This years ACU Star Series). Now that is good news in itself, but even better, Gary has secured commitment from some very big names in UK bike racing, (and I mean big), to join his team in the 250 series next year. Due to this years existing contractual issues, we can't name names until the current racing season is officially over, but Gary will make a further announcement, at the right time. I might add though, that being privvy to the information, I can say that this is a huge boost for the 250 class, and this championship, and I am genuinely thrilled for all concerned.

The icing on the cake for this bulletin though, is that Gary has secured a major sponsorship deal, from a large U.S. sponsor, (again, to be named later), who will be bringing riders over from the States to run in this series, and on into Europe. Yes lads, the Yanks are coming. I remember as a lad the Trans-Atlantic races from the early eighties, and think this will be another huge boost for the class, and this series next year.

Congratulations to Gary, and all involved at Replicast, for this great news. Lots of people have suggested to me, that what the GP250 class needs to thrive, is a dynamic, series sponsor, willing to put their hand in their pocket. Well here we have one. The profile of this series is rocketing, (Gary has seen a large increase in orders for 250 bodywork already), and I for one, am very excited about next year, and what this series will bring.

taken from the 2 atroke forum. there on the way back :wink: :wink:
& still the peeps at the t.t will not listen :roll: :roll:
20-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Find Reply
beetroot Offline

Threads: 0

cant see it working andy, this years acu star 600 series went down to 14 riders and less at some circuits, and thats the most poular size bike? how many 250,s are being used at mro level? do they still get full grids?

hope it works as it would be nice to see a bit of variety.

as far as the TT goes, youve more chance of seeing me out there than a grid of 250s....
20-09-2006, 09:43 AM
Find Reply
andy kirk Offline

Threads: 18

20-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Find Reply
GarryD Offline

Threads: 17

The only forward in my opinion is to have 250s back in the BSB, which I can't see happening. And this goes to show the its run my a set of people who couldn't run a bath. Natural progression from 125 is 250, this happens in Spain, Italy France etc, and until this country goes along that format. Then we are a long way from producing a future GP champion .

The book stops with the organiser's who haven't a clue, same with the acu academy another shambles. I was involved in some coaching at one stage and that had a set criteria, one is that coaches had to be a current or former British Champion's now thats all changed. The have their little click and stick together like glue. I can't see the team mentioned doing anything at all to much BS !

The 250s are thriving in Ireland because its run by a dedicated group of people, who do things for the benefit of the riders and sport, and not there own gain.
Motor cycling, mountain climbing and bull fighting are the only true sports. All the rest are childrens games played by adults.
20-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39

I've been critical of the ACU particularly over the TT licence issue but in this case I think they've made an excellent move. My only gripe is that the series doesn't seem to have provision for the very enjoyable Supermono's but maybe there's time to rectify that.

In response to the comment about the grid for the ACU Star 600 series being very thin, which it certainly was at Silverstone, I would put that down to every club already having 600 championships that are well attended. There's only so many events a club racer can commit to from a budget standpoint.

I've been crying out for a properly structured 250 championship for ages. There's no shortage of bikes out there it just needs a properly focussed and affordable series for them to be in (which I hope this will be), instead of being lumped in with 400s or 600s and just being an afterthought.

They definitely need to go back on the BSB schedule. It would then give the youngsters coming up through 125s the choice of pursuing a Superbike or GP based career. With all due respect to those who have made it to the highest level, Britain's representation in GP has been woeful in recent years and it all stems from the focus of our biggest national series.

Having yawned my way through the sparsely populated Virgin R6 race it struck me that 250s would be a far better bet.

Once the class has been properly re-established at National level then we can realistically expect it to come back to the Island.
20-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Website Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

A successful MRO 250 series will mean that the ACU and Stuart Higgs (BSB) will not be able to ignore them and could see, in future years, 250's moving into the BSB calender.

The major stumbling block will be PRIZE MONEY...'cos the strokers have such a limited engine mileage....but if the prize fund is sufficient to enable 20-25 riders to reasonably competitive, then growth is assured. Reading between the lines, I would guess that there is 'some' American money if "the Yanks are coming"

That is my only major concern, there is so little sponsorship and prize money in the 125 GP class, at BSB; it may be difficult for a championship that won't get major television coverage to generate the kind of money needed to sustain it.

There would also have to be a shift by Honda/Aprilia/KTM/Yamaha to increase production so that more new bikes are made available. At the moment almost all go to MotoGP and Japanese 250 championships and they are under threat. Certainly KTM and Aprilia as European manufacturers should be attracted if the series does 'click'.

....But this is a fantastic opportunity and I hope it thrives and re-generates a true racing class.

PS...I agree with you 'sticky' bring back the 'singles' too....mechanical inovation has always been the life-blood of racing, "not off the shelf" racing.
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
20-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Website Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Charlie, you're right about the prize money thing. I was speaking to Dan Cooper's dad on Monday and as far as I can see, for winning the British championship Dan gets absolutely nothing....(apart from a trophy in November!)

If we're content for our best new talent to amount to nothing better than national level (and there's a gulf between that & GP standard), then lets just keep going the way we are. However, if we don't want to see our best youngsters either going off to Spain or being forced into a career path they don't necessarily want. I got the impression (I may be wrong!) that Dan would have liked to have moved to 250 had there been a suitable championship.

It seems to me that the BSB (and now the TT) is just a marketing exercise and I applaud the ACU for trying this iniative. I hope both the competitors and spectators get behind it and make it a success.
21-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Website Find Reply
Neil C Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1

Just to clear a few things up

Modern 250 Two strokes do not have a ridiculously short engine life anymore. Apart from having to change the top end every 250 miles or so cranks last 1000 miles minimum and providing the owner/mechanic knows how to set the bike up they are pretty reliable bikes these days.
The costs of running one are not like they were in the 80's (which most people keep reffering too) where cranks,cylinders etc were having to be thrown at them every two mins. In fact , it is much cheaper to run a top 250 now than it is to run a tuned 600 and it is this fact that is attracting a lot of people to the class.

The MRO 250 Series is no more, the grids were pretty poor this year and the grid space has gone to something else. I must add that the MRO grids were pretty poor in general this year which I beleive was down to no prize money and no TV coverage.

People not involved with two-stroke racing will have no idea as to the amount of work that has gone into getting an 'as good as it currently gets' national championship again and the interest from competitors and potential sponsors is very very good.

Finally, the bikes.....
There are so many good 250's in the UK with more arriving all the time from Japan and Europe. The main UK suppliers of Yamaha's and Honda's have I beleive already sold their quota for next year due to the revived interest in people wanting to race GP machines rather than production bikes however, Honda/Yamaha usually have a second production run depending on demand. With each new bike you get enough spares to run you for an entire season so they are pretty cost effective too.These bikes dont go to moto gp as they would not be competitive. With the exception of some of the wild card riders all 250's in moto gp (and the 'customer Aprilia's.....') most are hand built bikes with some factory support. The good thing in my view is that since 2003 both Yamaha and Honda have contined with the same spec base model bikes with only the 'kit parts' which are widely available being developed year on year. This gives anyone wanting to have a go at a proper 250 championship the ability to afford a bike that can be competitive without having to get the latest bike year in year out like 600's/1000's.

Please dont start knocking the new series for proper bikes before its had a chance to start, with a bit of luck it will do really well and more importantly give good talented 125 riders somewhere decent to go where they might get noticed rather than being at the back of a national 600 grid.

Cheers

Neil
21-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

Neil thanks for your clarification. I for one, was in no way, knocking the plans for the new series and applaud any serios attempt to 'resurrect' the 250 GP class.

I just hope that there is going to be plenty of money available "in the pot" to sustain a new championship while it gets established and generates more sponsorship and television coverage.
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
21-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Website Find Reply
GarryD Offline

I for one would like to know what background these people have who run bsb have with motor cycles. All they are interested in is superbike and superstock, which has two class's and the rubbish yamaha series. They should get rid of at least one superstock series and the yamaha one, and get the 250s back ! just proves they have as much idea as the man in moon.
Then that would allow a decent prize fund, but it won't happen cos they are a set of idiots. And yet these clowns would have us believe they know what they are doing, Dan Cooper a cracking young prospect with a great future where does he go now.
Motor cycling, mountain climbing and bull fighting are the only true sports. All the rest are childrens games played by adults.
21-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Thanks for that info Neil. Hopefully it will pull the class together and be the catalyst for further progress.

As far as Dan Cooper goes, subject to sponsorship it may well be into 600s. I hope if that happens he doesn't just disappear into the herd as I think he'd make a damn good 250 GP rider.
21-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Website Find Reply
Neil C Offline
Just Getting Started

Dan Linfoots team are doing a full season in GP's next year and I also believe that Honda UK may be running a 2 man 250 squad as well so there could be opportunities for talented 125/250 riders alike.

Anyway, the fact that people are talking about this new series so early can only be good for the class and its a most welcome step in the right direction by the ACU.

If people want to keep up to speed then visit http://www.two-strokes.com from time to time and learn about proper racing bikes!!

Cheers

Neil
21-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Find Reply
GarryD Offline

No wonder there isn't to be a return to bsb next year for the 250s, a new ktm series at selected rounds !!! what a complete set of useless xxxxxx they are at bsb !!!

Is there any wonder the italians, spanairds etc have good riders in gps, what planet are they on in this country.
02-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Find Reply
Neil C Offline
Just Getting Started

There has been a further development on the new ACU championship in that it will now be the official British 250 Championship.

This is fantastic news and a much welcome reward for all who have stuck by/supported the class and pushed for its National status to be reinstated.

Neil
16-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

This is excellent news Neil. I've just sent them a suggestion that they include the Supermono championship in the MotoStar series, which would make it a must-see for those of us that love proper racing machinery.
16-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Website Find Reply
Tel Offline

Threads: 6

Hi All
Just had the confirmation letter from the ACU
Just to keep you all updated the 250 Championship is going ahead over 8 rounds
All will be anounced at the NEC Show and any further information can be picked up there.
Please give this Championship the support that it needs as i have sold the wife to help me Sponsor it for the Full Year.
We need to make this work and im sure it will as long as we all support it
Good Luck to all who enter this Championship
Its up to us now.
Best Regards
Gary Dawson
Repli-Cast UK
01226 249667
replicastuk@msn.com

From two-strokes.com
16-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Find Reply