Sad News for Motor Racing on the Island
ROSIE Offline

Threads: 65
Sad News for Motor Racing on the Island
Sad I have been asked by John Kermeen Chairman of the Manx Grand Prix Supporters Club, and the MGP Rescue Helicopter fund to let you all know of the Sad passing of Mrs Gwen Crellin MBE.
Gwen died earlier today after a long stay in hospital and alter in King Reach in Ramsey, She was one of the founder members of the Rescue Helicopter Fund, and in recent years has served as their Patron. She was given the MBE for her contribution to the Motor Racing on the Island and was know as "The Lady in White" as she was flag (Woman)Man at sulby side of Ballaugh.
She was a very good friend of Giacamo Agostini, who I am sure , like us all will be very saddened to hear this news.
All futher details John will advise the forums off when they are finalised.

[Image: gwen.jpg]
Biker Friendly Pub.
09-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Website Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

Would just like to pass on our sympathies, love and thoughts to everyone who had the pleasure of meeting and befriending this very Remarkable Lady.

Stella.
09-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Like many other ttwebsite members, I will miss our lovely Gwen very much. It has been strange passing her house and knowing she was not there. I last saw her in August when a friend and I visited her at the care home in Ramsey. She still had her famous sense of humour, and I will always remember her lovely smile.
My thoughts are with John and her relatives and friends.
09-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12

A sad loss to everyone connected with the TT and MGP, had just written and stamped her Christmas card, never once failed to get a card from her in the last fourty years until last year when she was obviously not well/
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
09-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Find Reply
Fitz Offline
Fitzjnr

Threads: 15

Such sad news or a true 'Character' of the TT and MGP itself. The hosptiality at Gwen's if you broke down there was legendary to all those who have in the past.

It did not matter who you were, whether you started at No 1 or No81 there was always a wave from Gwen.

RIP 'Lady in White' for you will be missed by all those who came into contact with you.

Fitz.
09-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390

This is really such sad news.

I had the pleasure of talking to Gwen a few years ago along with Carol Grose, which resulted in a feature of Gwen being posted on TTwebsite.

Gwen truly was one remarkable lady and the welcome that everone was given whenever they called at her house was incredible. Superstar or Newcomer, it didn't matter, you were all treated the same.

You can read the article from 2001 by clicking on the link below.

Gwen you will be missed by many more than you could have ever
imagined.

Click Here
09-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Thank you for that Carol and Malcolm. It has me completely filled up.
Gail and I visited Gwen one summer, and she talked about something to us. When we were there the following MGP...more than a year later, she recalled the occasion perfectly, and continued the conversation as if it had been the day before.
It was very hard seeing her as she was this August, but she still remembered my friend from Northern Ireland and insisted she was going to marry him...a standing joke of many years.
I hope lots of you will add your recollections and we can print them off for her nephew, John, who cared for her so devotedly for so may years.
09-12-2006, 06:45 PM
gary the nurse Offline

Threads: 18

such sad news and such a great loss to the island and the sport, she was such an amazing lady who was a genuine friendly gentle character!

the news is also on the likes of iomtt.com and the ttma forums, everyone expressing their views

gods rest to a lovely lady
09-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

Some very touching tributes on realroadracing too.

Since i posted as you asked Helen.
09-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

We had the pleassure of sampling Gwens cakes at lunch time when we were on duty at Ballacrea a few years ago, RIP Gwen from the Cheshire Gang.
09-12-2006, 10:30 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

She'll be making up ham rolls for Peter Jarmann, who was perhaps her greatest fan. There will be a lot of laughter wherever they are.
09-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Tom Loughridge Offline

You can bet she will already be serving tea and cakes in the big paddock in the sky to a lot of old and close friends.

One in a million.
09-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Find Reply
Myles Lally Offline

Threads: 13

Goodbye to the most Famous Marshall in Motorcycle Racing.

I never got to meet the great Lady in White , but knew of her status within our small racing community.

I had read and heard all the great stories of her hospitality to all who tackled the famous TT circuit and how she waved to all who passed.

It is right and fitting that she was awarded her MBE for her services to her beloved sport, as I heard even in her last few years through illness she held it very close to her heart and never missed a session outside her white house.

I believe the collection of photo's of all the riders who visited her spot outside Ballaugh is a who's who of the TT .

Her contribution to the TT &MGP will never be forgotten as long as there are Motorcycles racing past her door.

Gwen Crellin RIP.

Myles Lally

Irish TT Supporters Club Representative.
Irish TT Supporters Club Representitive
09-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Find Reply
Michael Offline

Threads: 6

With tears in my eyes I heard this sad news a few days before christmas. A great loss for everybody who loves the TT and the Isle of Man.

Michael
10-12-2006, 01:54 AM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

What a happy person Gwen was.
Gail took me to meet her one day and we talked her into this photo with her MBE. Only after she had done her impersonation of the presentation ceremony!
[Image: 318302048_60f668df3f_m.jpg]
The world could with a lot more Gwen Crellins.
Perhaps a white marble statue of her in her front garden, waving forever to all the riders as they fly past into the next 100 years, would be a fitting tribute to all the help she has been.
R.I.P.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
10-12-2006, 06:06 AM
Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

No Don. it would have to be opposite by the hedge where she always marshalled. Can't believe its nearly half a Century since I received my first wave in morning pracrice and wondering who the hell was that.

I'm up for a few sheckles to help start a fund for it, as true a TT hero as any rider.

You proposed the idea, I'll second it so how about getting it going.
10-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

To be honest, I think Gwen would prefer that you gave the money for the MGP Helicopter...remember there is already a lovely tribute to her on the wall beside the house, clearly visible from the road.
In a few weeks, when he has had time to think about things, perhaps we could approach John Kermeen and ask what he thinks.
10-12-2006, 09:56 AM
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32

The Isle of Man has lost one of it's greatest characters in the motorcycling world. I feel sad that Gwen willn't be around for the 100 years of the TT or even her 90th birthday. But she's not been well for a while and even then she could still make you laugh !
One of the funniest things I will always remember at Gwen's was when Peter Jarman and I were visiting, and Peter was attempting to eat one of Gwen's ham rolls, only Gwen popped back to the kitchen for the tea, Peter looked closely at his ham roll and showed it me, it was a little green ! Wups and Peter took one look at the coal fire, poked a hole in the middle and put the ham roll in the fire ! How I wanted to laugh ! It was so funny and said I hope Gwen doesn't smell it burning ! And to this day Gwen didn't know !
Going past Gwen's house won't be the same again :cry:
I'll miss her, RIP Gwen.

Condolances to John, family & friends.
xxx
10-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I received a mail this morning from Yuki in Japan. Here is an extract. She also sent a photo of Gwen and herself.

"I am very sad that I hear this news.
It was amazing that I finded picture Gwen and I just before yesterday.
I thghout will send to Gwen Xmas greeting so I put this on my table.
This TT I met Gwen, she said honest her age first time for me  ).
I am sorry she cannot see 100th aniversary TT.
Yuki KOBAYASHI"
10-12-2006, 02:10 PM
irishago Offline

Threads: 18
A Sad loss indeed...
I only met the great lady once in person, but what stands out for me was when you would come out of Ballaugh on your last lap she would put out her board with good luck on it and you knew you only had 20 miles to go it kept me going on more than one occasion when my spirits were low Rest in Peace and say hello to my good Friend Peter Jarmann for me....when you see him.......gone but never forgotten our friends....irish ago...
10-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Website Find Reply