MANX COINS
Anonymous
Unregistered

MANX COINS
Could anyone tell me why the queens head is on Manx money and its not legal tender in the UK?
08-01-2007, 05:47 PM
cargo
Unregistered

It may not be legal tender but most places here in Norn Iron will take it.
On the IOM they'll take anything :wink:
08-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Rocket Man Offline

Threads: 13

Manx money is legal tender in the UK. Pound for pound, penny for penny.
The problem is shops etc do not know that it is legal tender, but if you take your manx money to a bank, they will exchange it, for UK currency.
If this is not the case, then why do fuel stations etc in Liverpool, take manx money when leaving the ferry on your way home :?:
08-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry but why on the boats do passengers want to change to English? i live nr Lpool and its never been legal tender here even the post office wont accept it.
08-01-2007, 09:19 PM
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19

Pykey is right. The following paragraph is from the 'International Business Guide to the Isle of Man' issued by Cain's Advocates for the 2005/06 Financial Year:

"The Isle of Man is in currency union with the United Kingdom. The island issues its own distinctive notes and coins, which are denominated in the same manner as United Kingdom currency. Within the island, both Manx and United Kingdom money are in circulation. Manx money is not legal tender in the United Kingdom, although Manx notes are accepted by banks."
08-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

The Queen is the Lord of Mann!
08-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Rocket Man Offline

Threads: 13

David Griffiths Wrote:Pykey is right. The following paragraph is from the 'International Business Guide to the Isle of Man' issued by Cain's Advocates for the 2005/06 Financial Year:

"The Isle of Man is in currency union with the United Kingdom. The island issues its own distinctive notes and coins, which are denominated in the same manner as United Kingdom currency. Within the island, both Manx and United Kingdom money are in circulation. Manx money is not legal tender in the United Kingdom, although Manx notes are accepted by banks."

I would guess that some of the fuel stations out of Liverpool and Heysham, who are familiar with exchange rates, know that they can bank the manx money, providing you pay with manx notes knowing that they can't lose out financially. I have done it loads of times. You just gotta know which ones to stop at.
The silver coins i have left, i usually bung in phonebox's and public car park machines, when i get home.
08-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

One TT on the way home via Heysham we stopped to fill the van with deisel. We put in exactly what we had in Manx notes and coins. It was all the money we had left between us.
Anyway in went the deisel and we went to the pay desk and handed over the money............the guy was NOT impressed and wanted his money in UK sterling tough we told him take or leave it.
He took it and we left
08-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Michael Offline

Threads: 6

I remember a few years ago on way home in England we took a coffee and the lady gave me back a 5 pence coin from the Isle of Man and said "That's no British!" . In other cases I had no problems to pay with Manx currency.
Michael
09-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Website Find Reply
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23

I believe that although its not legal tender for purchases outside the IoM it is guaranteed by the Bank of England.
Mind you there are some stick in the mud businesses who won't take Scottish notes here in England even though the Royal Bank of Scotland own a large chunk of our financial sector now.
09-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Your not wrong Aurthur.
Try spending a Northern Irish bank note in England Scotland or Wales and you won't get too far.
It very clearly says sterling on them but most folks think your try to pass something dodgy.

Interestingly the most commonly found forgery here in Northern Ireland is Bank Of England notes. I've seen a few of them. And been offered them. :shock:
09-01-2007, 03:08 PM
pierre Offline

Threads: 1
Manx coins
Living in Berkshire, I suspect that the problem with accepting non-English bank notes is the attitude of other customers. A shop keeper that accepts one of these notes effectively has to put it aside for taking to the bank and cannot easily use it to make change. This is because customers in the south of England are reluctant to receive Scottish pound notes, especially if there are English notes visible in the till. I suppose I see around 5 Scottish notes a year and have never seen a Northern Irish or Manx one.
09-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

I posted this thread because my friend got a 50 piece given to her in her change? guess what it has a mycle racer on the front and he is no 3? shame she has to have to go to the IOM to spend it or Ulster.
09-01-2007, 04:46 PM
cargo
Unregistered

Spend it :shock: no way sell it :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Isle-Of-Man-TT-Rac...dZViewItem
09-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Cargo weigh up the market?
09-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Jack Offline

Threads: 0
Re: Manx coins
pierre Wrote:Scottish pound notes
Are not actually legal tender down south since the English ones were with-drawn from circulation.

Thinking about it though you don't see that many of them up here now either, not that I mind as the coins are easier to put in a jar and save Smile
Ride safe Ride free

Jack
09-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Find Reply
pierre Offline

Threads: 1

Sorry for being sloppy. I meant fives, tens and twenties. I am not sure I have ever seen a Scottish one pound note.
09-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

Mmmm... dont get me started re Scottish notes ! used to get loads of grief re them when "dawnnn souff"

Still get folks that hold it up to the light n study it :roll:

Despite me tellin em that they are worth more than it says on the note ! :wink:

Stella

P.S Couldn`t tell you the last time i got a scottish pound note in change only coins these days.
09-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Find Reply
ttwebsite Offline
Administrator

Threads: 44

Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by traffic from both sides.
11-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I don't care who issued them, or what they look like...if you're not happy with them, send them to me and I'll give them to the Joey Dunlop Foundation!!
11-01-2007, 10:12 AM