Filtering and Motorways
bighairybiker Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 3
Filtering and Motorways
"Time is a great teacher, unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Hector Berlioz

Marie Curie Cancer Care: http://www.justgiving.com/motorbikechallenge
16-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Find Reply
Kimbiker Offline

Threads: 0

Cheers, Kim (geezer!)
17-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to butt in i have in the last 50 yrs driven HGV, BIKES, and cars but today the most responsible people who use the roads are Bikers as allways there will be exeptions but todays driving standards are apalling especilally young women with those PINK THINGS BLOCKING THEIR LINE OF VISION :cry: :cry: :cry: :wink: :wink:
17-10-2007, 09:49 AM
andy21aa Offline

Threads: 6

Seems undertaking is not illegal, however it could be construed as careless or even dangerous driving / riding.

I found this letter from a Mr John Doyle from 'Road Safety Division 3', make of it what you will.
Quote:Dear Mr Scott

Thank you for your e-mail of 28 May 2002 about lane discipline on our motorways. I have been asked to reply.

The Government sympathise with your concern about the standard of driving on our motorways. "Lane hogging" can be very irritating to other drivers, it reduces road capacity, particularly at high flow levels and it is potentially dangerous. However lane hogging is not a specific offence, although it is safe driving practice for vehicles using motorways to remain in the left hand lane unless overtaking as advised in the Highway Code. Failure to comply with the advice in the Highway Code does not in itself constitute an offence (nor would it necessarily be crucial to the outcome of any civil case which might come before the courts). However, anyone involved on such a case would be entitled to point to a failure to heed the Highway Code's advice. It would then be for the court to reach its decision in the light of all the evidence presented to it. Nevertheless The Road Traffic Act 1991 has given police the powers to prosecute people for the offences of dangerous and careless and inconsiderate driving.

Overtaking on the left is not an offence in the United Kingdom. However, all drivers are bound by our road traffic laws, and liable to prosecution for offences such as careless or dangerous driving. Enforcement of the law is, of course, a matter for the police who will make their decisions on whether to prosecute in the circumstances of each individual case.

My Department will continue to press home the message about good motorway lane discipline through publicity such as our leaflet "A Guide to Safer Motorway Driving". Additionally, signs reading "Keep Left Except When Overtaking" have been erected on some motorways and lane discipline has also been included in police motorway safety campaigns.

Yours sincerely

JOHN DOYLE
17-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Find Reply