is irish racing still on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

is irish racing still on?
does anyone know if irish road racing is still on?how do you get regs etc.ive never been to any irish races,but would like to. if the manx is off,its a good time to try it.i havent any idea of whats on when,which is a good one to try etc.got a 400 and a national licence.ta for any help
03-07-2001, 08:07 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: is irish racing still on?
Yes , Irish road racing has just started again .If you go to MAXRPM.co.uk it gives you all the details , club contacts etc.
03-07-2001, 08:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another website is MCUI.ie which is the MCUI Southern centre website .
03-07-2001, 08:56 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ta very much Ammo will you be there?
04-07-2001, 12:11 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well Nolie, Im a bit like you , Ive never been to Ireland before but Im considering it now that the Manx has been cancelled .Only problem is , to ride over there Ive got to get a new helmet , cos apparently they wont pass my open face one , it must be a full face type , but , having seen a few videos it does look interesting and as you say now that the Manx has been cancelled it is a good opportunity .I think youll find theres 2 meetings left in Ulster ( although the Ulster GP is an international )and probably 3 or 4 in the south .
04-07-2001, 07:20 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ammo: you don't have to have a full-face hat in Ireland. As long as it's proper spec,the only thing we don't like is polycarbonate, but only a nutter would use such a hat. Your ACU stamped helmet wiil be OK, subject to the above.
I use an Arai SZ with tilting visor - no problem.
As to the Ulster,if you ride a Classic (apologies if you don't!!) the Classics run under a National Permit.
You'd enjoy Dundrod . . . . . .
Hope this helps.
05-07-2001, 12:00 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

well i hope to see you there ,although i havent a clue what meeting were goin to do yet.the maxrpm site is very good and iv'e asked for some details . if the ulster gp is an international ,ive heard there might be a newcomers race,so that may be a national.fingers crossed then!

nolie
05-07-2001, 02:08 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well actually Larry , The MCUI ( Southern centre ) say Yes , my open face is perfectly OK , but the Ulster centre say , no way , its got to be a full face for the 125 race , which is what I ride .The ACU say I should be allowed to use my open face , but that its down to the organisers really whether they accept it or not , which all seems a bit odd to me .The helmet I use is a Cromwell which is ACU approved and also RAC approved for car racing.
Yes , Dundrod looks interesting, is the newcomers race an international cos if so ill need another licence and a medical to get it.

05-07-2001, 07:01 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nolie , as I understand it if youve held a national licence for more than a year ( I think ) you can apply for an international ( non-championship ) licence and it will be granted . You need to get a licence application form from the ACU and fill it in and will also need a medical and eyesight test if you didnt have one this year.Ive sent off for regs for the Ulster but as yet havent received any .
05-07-2001, 07:09 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ammo,I would like to know who in the Ulster Centre of the MCUI told you that open-face helmets are a "no-no". I ride on an Ulster Centre licence,with the Arai SZ as I said, and have had no trouble. All right,that was last season,my first outing this year will be the Ulster,but I am not aware of any such rule change for this year. I do not believe that your informant is correct.
As to UGP regs,I was told yesterday that they hope to have them out over this weekend.
Ring Billy Nutt on 02870 351199 for info on status of Newcomers Race,timing of issue of regs,and while you're at it,ask him about the helmet. He's an Ulster Centre helmet stamper,among many other things!
Tell him I sent you.
05-07-2001, 10:19 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm in the same boat as you lads.

I've just spoken with a very nice lady at the
UGP race office (028 7035 1199).

National licence is OK, regs will be out soon and
they'll send you a set if you give your address,
and there is indeed a newcomers class.

I think they might well pick up quite a few
more MGP refugees... Oy, Wiz, you game for this
one?? Huw might know if they'll let a veryveryloud
Norton start.

05-07-2001, 02:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Kieth,
this sounds interesting, I'm not sure if full noise regs apply, and will check with Huw (I'm not sure if he's done the Ulster) Does anyone else out there know if a 115db Norton F1 would be able to play??????
Also does anyone know how many starters they allow 'cos I suspect it might be busy
05-07-2001, 09:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well Larry , I enquired on the maxrpm website and Rob Tate says that he asked Billy Nutt and that that was where the answer came from . I think Ive still got his reply stored away somewhere , if so Ill e-mail it to you .I was speaking to Bill Swallows mate , Trevor White about this and he said that if Bill rides a classic bike in Ireland ( I dont know whether he meant North or South)he is allowed to use his open face helmet , but if he rides the 400 honda which he does occasionally, then he has to use a full face helmet ! Yes , I know , It dont make sense to me either.
05-07-2001, 10:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Larry, Ive just e-mailed you the e-mail that I received from Rob Tate ( maxrpm )about open face helmets when I enquired earlier this year .When I asked him if different rules apply North to South the answer I got was " I sometimes think they make it up as they go along . Go figure. " whatever that was supposed to mean. Id appreciate it if you would contact Billy Nutt about this , after all if you know him you might be able to get more sense out of him than I would as a completely unknown visitor
05-07-2001, 10:24 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

06-07-2001, 09:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also spoke to the U.G.P. office today re regs etc. WHAT A REFRESHING CHANGE! people falling over themselves to be helpful ( absolutely no disrespect to all at M.M.C.C. WHO MUST HAVE HAD JUST AS AWFUL A TIME AS THE REST OF US RECENTLY)
I wasn't aware that the newcomers race is a new event this year - one class 250 to unlimited apparantly. Forgot to ask them though what the maximum grid is, but I wouldnt be surprised if they put on two newcomers races if they were oversubscribed! With such a great attitude I sure am tempted, and I can run my Seeley Commando in the 1000 classic .Happy Days!
06-07-2001, 10:30 PM