Ulster GP
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ulster GP
Not a great surprise, though still bitterly dissapointing that the Manx club has decided to cancel the GP. Contingency plan in place, with regulations winging their way to me for the Ulster GP.

Who els will be making this diversion ?

Cheers

Gav
06-07-2001, 08:59 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Ulster GP
Me hopefully,If I talk nicely to my sponsor about the boat fare.
06-07-2001, 09:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone interested, a good site to visit is
<A HREF="http://www.irishracer.com/links.htm">http://www.irishracer.com/links.htm</A>
Ulster Grand Prix, look under Coleraine club
06-07-2001, 10:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Gav,
Whats the point?

Although I wouldnt be surprised if there are IOM competitors within the entry list. Go figure.

Yes totally p#$$#d off. Maybe the MGP would be run if we competed on Tony Scott tuned sheep. (Grown on the IOM of course)
08-07-2001, 04:29 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ken,

You can bet your ass that long standing Road Racers such as Dave MM will be at Dundalk and Skerries, then travelling back to IOM before Ulster GP. They are just bloody right to race wherever they can, but the whole F&M decision is a farce.
I see thay haven't vanvelled the Manx sheep shagging contest in September. Whooops, that event is strictly by invitation, forget I mentioned it.
08-07-2001, 08:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

MHK's and IOM Farmers assoc. members only. sic.
08-07-2001, 09:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, unfortunetely , as the newcomers is only for 250 - 1000 I wont be able to join you on my 125 , Ill have to do the 125 race. Phoned the ACU last week to see about international non-championship licence and they told me that the eyesight test I had at the start of the season would be fine .Phoned them again for confirmation that eyesight test is ok (cos theyre buggers for telling you one thing over the phone and then deciding something else when you send your application in)and , surprise, surprise , yes its perfectly ok for a national but not good enough for an international. So went down to opticians to book another test and they managed to fit me in this afternoon and , my eyesight seems to have improved and I passed ok . Faxed results through to ACU for confirmation and Im waiting for reply . Booked my medical, but cant get in till 7th August.Went to see sponsor about paying for boat fare . Answer, Yes .Just got to screw the bike back together and get the van Mot'd now and then its back to the 1986 video to see where everything goes . See you at the Ulster everybody.

09-07-2001, 09:33 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Ammo, congratulations on the EYE TEST RESULT, I am pretty sure about going with Norton F1 for newcomers and Commando for the classic under national licence regs. I haven't a clue what the course is like and was interested in your commments about the video. Is this a commercial video? 'cos I'd like to have a preview of the place before committing to it. Anybody give me any more info please.Thanks.
09-07-2001, 10:14 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

09-07-2001, 10:29 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry , that should be maxrpm.co.uk
09-07-2001, 10:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Ammo, thanks for the info, Duke marketing and
maxrpm owe you some commission! and I'll get you a pint on the 18th! (hope no-one heard that)
10-07-2001, 08:33 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well the ACU got back to me today and , yes the eyesight report is ok (6/6 in each eye )but , well theres got to be a but hasnt there, the FIM introduced a new rule at the start of this season that all international licence holders/ applicants over 50 yrs of age need to take a "stress ECG" ie running on a treadmill etc so being a member of OGRA ( the Old Gits Racing Association) Ive had to go and see about one of these as well. Presumably its to make sure youre not going to collapse with all the excitement.Hang on a minute, stress!!! excitement!!! Nurse , bring me that bedpan , quick. Oh, oh , too late ! See you on the 18th , Billy Nutt , The FIM , The ACU , my doctor and Uncle Tom Cobley and all permitting. Now , where did I put that Phylosan ? Oh here it is next to my false teeth !
10-07-2001, 09:58 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Andy:-
I received the regs for the Ulster G.P today . The newcomers race is for " over 200cc to 1010cc"(7 laps ). The entry fee for newcomers is free. Entries close Sunday 22nd July.Ive faxed a copy of the regs through to Michelle at the ACU and she's going to have a word with Billy Nutt to see " whether they can sort anything out " about me , I dont really know what she's hoping for, but , lets just say ,it dont look very promising that Ill be there .I would think that Id pass the " Stress ECG " ok, but , as she says, I may need to take a very deep breath when I find out the cost of it. At the start of the regs it states:-
MANX GRAND PRIX RACES
By special permission of the Competitors Committee , The Auto Cycle Union , Rugby , intending and regular competitors in the Manx Grand Prix races can compete in the Ulster Grand Prix.

Quite exactly what this means I dont know but I think Michelle is going to investigate . That may be my only hope as I was accepted for this years MGP and have competed in The MGP before .Any way , if you or anyone else decides to go , have a nice safe ride and enjoy yourselves and Ill dig my Bulto out for next year , for the classic races.
11-07-2001, 10:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Ulster GP/Manx GP
Hi Colin! It used to be that if you had started in a TT or other International Race, you couldn't do the Manx. At that time, which was several years ago, a special dispensation was granted to those who had ridden in the Ulster and, I think, the North-West 200. I'm not sure whether the Manx regs still carry this condition, but the passage in the Ulster regs still appears, apparently as a matter of history.
Incidentally, you're lucky!! I live in County Down, and I haven't got my regs yet. I'll have to give Louise some stick . . . . . . .

12-07-2001, 01:01 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for that explanation Larry . I thought you'd know ! although I didnt want to bother you .It doesnt say that now in the Manx regs , it only refers to the TT and world championship rounds , which of course the Ulster was at one time. It doesn't look as though Ill be riding but I might still have have a trip over as a foot passenger to see wot its like , for next year.Have a good ride .
Ammo
12-07-2001, 07:35 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Ammo, just cos I said I'd buy you a pint doesn't mean you start to make excuses for not going! Only one suggestion I can make, if you want to ride my Seeley Commando in the newcomers race and get my tyres nice and sticky for the classic race I would be happy to oblige. Only one condition- You don't beat me on my F1! Do you want to check with Billy Nutt and see if they'll let a classic out in the newcomers? Let me know- the bike will be there and as long as the practice and race timetables allow enough gap for refuelling etc we could do it. What do you think?
12-07-2001, 07:04 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the offer Andy , but things have started to look up again . After Michelle had a study of the regs she noticed that you can do the Ulster on an International non-championship OR a European A licence (well of course Id already spotted that, sez he , lying through his back teeth).apparently NO stress ECG is required for the European A licence , which is now known as a Continental licence , gets complicated dont it ! Good old Michelle ! or , by the sound of the voice on the answerphone , Good young Michelle ! Got to ring her again tomorrow to see how I get one of these . According to the ACU handbook the only requirement is that you need to have held a National licence for a year, which I have done since approx 1973 .No , come on , surely it cant be that simple can it , well can it !
12-07-2001, 10:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Course it can Colin! Look forward to seeing you next month!!
12-07-2001, 10:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Whatever you say, Larry!
12-07-2001, 11:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of course it was ! Spoke to Michelle again at ACU, cancelled doctors appointment for medical and ECG, sent cheque off for licence and insurance .Easy peasy,lemon squeezy ! See you next month , definite .Did you get that video yet Andy ?
13-07-2001, 06:49 PM