Under Rated Viewing Points.
theflyingplumber Offline

Threads: 5
Under Rated Viewing Points.
Under Rated.

Another Topic which you will either find of interest or a load of old tosh.

My first Topic I posted seemed to create a thread of interest and is still live and kicking.
As a newcomer I try to think of a theme that might be a little different so.

In your opinion, is there such a thing (on this oh! so fabulous a race course) as an underrated spectating place to watch the racing.
And if so where is it and why. :?:

Just had a thought folks, what about the chairs?, do the chairs make a difference as to your answers. Is there any difference?, would you have a different under rated spot to spectate as apposed to the solo's?.

To possibly add interest and debate, what about the overrated spectator veiwing places, there are none ARE THERE.
07-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88

I think most spectators will not disclose their fav viewing spec as if they do it will be overcrowded Lol Lol Lol
Roll on Kells 2010
08-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39

How true Pykey...

I found a great spot some years ago on the exit of the Black Dub but sadly it's now a prohibited zone. A lot of great spots have gone that way.
08-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Website Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I know for sure there are lots of OVER rated place to watch from.
A glance at the crowds at QB or Bradden or Balluagh is enough to put me right off

For me the real and most highly skilled riders are best watched from high speed sections. I was well impressed with McGuinness at Gorse Lea last year getting a bike threaded through there on full stick flat out is amazing to see.

I have another favourite place to watch thats flat out and needs to be inch perfect..............but why should I advertise it and end up with huge crowds ruining it.
08-02-2008, 02:53 PM
smokey125 Offline

Threads: 7

Any where from onboard on closed roads. Big Grin

I'll finish it one day!
08-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

smokey125 Wrote:Any where from onboard on closed roads. Big Grin

Ain't that the truth :AB
08-02-2008, 04:09 PM
theflyingplumber Offline

cargo Wrote:I know for sure there are lots of OVER rated place to watch from.
A glance at the crowds at QB or Bradden or Balluagh is enough to put me right off

For me the real and most highly skilled riders are best watched from high speed sections. I was well impressed with McGuinness at Gorse Lea last year getting a bike threaded through there on full stick flat out is amazing to see.

I have another favourite place to watch thats flat out and needs to be inch perfect..............but why should I advertise it and end up with huge crowds ruining it.

That sounds great Cargo smilie
Now I know you guys and gals would perhaps be a little coy about this for obvious reasons, but come on just a little clue maybe.

And if you want to take the opposite to underrated and state the overrated as one post has, by all means. That might provoke one or two differences of opinions eh!. :roll:
08-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Find Reply
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19

08-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Find Reply
Sport-Pics Offline

Threads: 3

smokey125 Wrote:Any where from onboard on closed roads. Big Grin

Reminds me of when I was at the Manx a few years back. I went down to breakfast and I was on my own and I spotted another guy on his own so I asked if I could join him. We got talking and I asked him "where are you going to be watching from today" he replied "from behind the screen!"

I didn't realise he was racing :oops:

Rusty
You are there to be shot at!!!
Sport-Pics
08-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Website Find Reply
pykey Offline

On my 1st visit to the MGP we watched at Quarter Bridge and i couldnt uderstand why so many went to the IOM? well these lads we went with said lets cross over the fields so we went to the bottom of Bray Hill OMG now we know what its all about? scary or what.
Roll on Kells 2010
08-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

The only clue you'll get from me is ............................flat out :wink:

I suppose as time passes there will be fewer and fewer flat out corners as bikes get faster.................
08-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16

pykey Wrote:On my 1st visit to the MGP we watched at Quarter Bridge and i couldnt uderstand why so many went to the IOM? well these lads we went with said lets cross over the fields so we went to the bottom of Bray Hill OMG now we know what its all about? scary or what.
My first viewing too Pykey at a TT. Bray Hill, definately Oh My Gawd!
Without your own transport it's a bit limiting as to where you can go though.
08-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147

On a nice day, nowhere better than the Gooseneck; you can see the riders coming from Waterworks, not sure how far you can move up the mountain nowadays. You can see one race from here, then move to another site.
08-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Website Find Reply
theflyingplumber Offline

David Griffiths Wrote:You only have to watch the TT videos of recent years to see the most over-rated places. You know, the same ones that they show race after race after race � Quarter Bridge, Braddan Bridge, Parliament Square, Signpost, Governors Bridge.

Best to get hold of some of the review videos from the days when Videovision were doing them in the 80s and early 90s. They always used to make the effort to go to out-of-the-way places that you wouldn�t think about � places like Appledene, Sarah�s Cottage, Handley�s, Kerroo Mooar, Glen Tramman, Tower Bends etc. Of course many of these places are now out of bounds, and after last year�s tragedy at the 26th Milestone there will probably be a lot more no-go areas in future.

Actually, one of my favourite spots on a good day is the 27th Milestone, watching from the hillside on the left just before the little white bridge that leads onto the Mountain Mile. That corner really is �eye of the needle� stuff and is a tremendous spectacle � but it�s not for the faint-hearted and not for a cold day. And you can usually guarantee that the number of spectators there will be in single figures!

Thanks for your post David, an interesting and informative message.
I personally love the mountain and think the Bungalow Bridge is underrated. Seeing them coming down off the veranda into the lefthander and away up to the righthander.
My favourite is walking from the Bungalow to the creg during the racing, an awful lot to see and every 100m the spectacle is different and I did make a lengthy stop at Kates . It does mean leaving the bike behind for a day, but well worth it IMO.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2014, 12:24 AM by theflyingplumber.)
08-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Find Reply
Keith Pursglove
Unregistered

Under Rated Viewing Points
I have to agree with you David, the bridge at the 27th was a fab place to watch.
Was there for the 1967 Senior along with 3 mates. We only saw two other spectators all day walking up the other side of the course up the mountain mile!
Watching Mike Hailwood fight the Honda, kicking up the dust on the exit EVERY lap and Ago, smooth as you like but with both wheels off the deck while cranked well over, a memory to savour.

This could well be the flyingplumber sounds thread as we could hear the sounds all the way up the mountain mile, and to hear the 50's going up and down the box was fantastic.
I suppose it will now be a no go area now, but we rode our trials bikes up the bank just at the side of the bridge and hid behind the nice soild stone wall. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Happy days.
09-02-2008, 10:51 AM
irishago Offline

Threads: 18
Where to watch from...
Well back in the good old days as one might say, My Dad used to Bring me and my Brother up to the Bungalow on the Electric Tram and we would Start watching there and move on every couple of laps to a new point eventually getting to the Gooseneck by the end of the second race in them days nearly always 6 lappers and over 2 hours per race and what a verity of machines could be heard coming up the mountain mile out of Ramsey. I used to Love Standing up on the side of Snafell above the Veranda and watch the Guys coming out of the Mountain Box and nearly all the way to Brandywell only going out of sight into the Bungalow itself. The sound was the spectical back then. But for me i have two favourite places the Bottom of Bray Hill and Cronk na Mona especially the fast Guys
As a Rider i love it when i can get a section just right roll on MGP 2008... All the best one and all Irish Ago...... Big Grin
10-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Website Find Reply
theflyingplumber Offline

Re: Where to watch from...
irishago Wrote:Well back in the good old days as one might say, My Dad used to Bring me and my Brother up to the Bungalow on the Electric Tram and we would Start watching there and move on every couple of laps to a new point eventually getting to the Gooseneck by the end of the second race in them days nearly always 6 lappers and over 2 hours per race and what a verity of machines could be heard coming up the mountain mile out of Ramsey. I used to Love Standing up on the side of Snafell above the Veranda and watch the Guys coming out of the Mountain Box and nearly all the way to Brandywell only going out of sight into the Bungalow itself. The sound was the spectacle back then. But for me i have two favourite places the Bottom of Bray Hill and Cronk na Mona especially the fast Guys
As a Rider i love it when i can get a section just right roll on MGP 2008... All the best one and all Irish Ago...... Big Grin

This is great stuff AGO,
The Mountain. No matter were I go t I always end up back on the Mountain. I haven't walked your walk anti clockwise,only as far as the Bungalow Bridge.
Its each to their own I know (that's why I posted this topic) but I love the isolation of it, just you (and mates) and the riders. And on a beautiful day well for me its tops.
When its just been me and the riders on a isolated stretch, and you get two or three dicing together and you can actually see the determination on their faces, I have to admit I get the weirdest of sensations, cant explain it but that's the TT.
10-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
vp
Get yourself up to Keppel Gate at Clarks Corner. You can see all the road from 33rd right down to Cronk-ny-Mona.

Best section on the whole course !!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
12-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Website Find Reply
pykey Offline

Cronk ny Mona Ian now that was brilliant before they built houses in fact watching Bob Mac on the Honda was a wee scary even saw John Hartle drop the MV there he was ok but the language :wink: :wink: :wink:
Roll on Kells 2010
13-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
next
I was there when Hartle threw the MV down the road !!

Has anyone watched the racing at the 16th Milestone...WOWOWOWOWO
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
13-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Website Find Reply