Inquest today?
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
Inquest today?
I understand that an inquest begins today in Douglas
into the terrible events of Senior day last year.

I would like to offer thoughts to all effected.

Lets also hope that common sense prevails as a result, too.

Time for wise people to show their wisdom.
MV
12-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Website Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

RE: Inquest today?
Looks like its going to be Another Bash the Marshalls job again.

From MR

A triple inquest has heard how two spectators killed on the last day of racing at the centenary TT were standing in a prohibited zone.

Thirty-three year-old Dean Jacob, of Kidderminster and 52 year-old Gregory Kenzig, from Australia died on June 8 last year in an incident involving newcomer Marc Ramsbotham from Norfolk, who also died.

Coroner of inquests Michael Moyle showed video footage of the incident, when Mr Ramsbotham’s bike flew up an embankment into the two men.

But mystery still surrounds whether or not signs had been put up warning people out of the area.

Jason Roberts reports:

Contractors Kissack Brothers have been putting up signs around the TT course for the last 30 years, but employee Ian Baxter-Ross of Ballasalla said he didn’t cover the Mountain section.

He said he had never put signs up at the 26th Milestone, where the accident happened, and wasn’t aware of anybody else being asked to do so.

TT Course Maintenance Officer Michael Dean insisted he had seen signs during an inspection the evening before the Senior race.

But he admitted he had only driven past the site and couldn’t say for certain whether or not they had been there on the day of the race.

TT Marshals will this morning be asked for their version of events which left three people dead on the final day of the centenary TT.

Yesterday, the court saw video footage of the moments when newcomer Marc Ramsbotham hit his head on a post, lost control of his bike and ran up an embankment into spectators.

33 year-old Dean Jacob, of Kidderminster and 52 year-old Gregory Kenzig, from Australia died on June 8 in the incident at the 26th Milestone.

Yesterday saw confusion over why there were no signs to tell them they were standing in a prohibited area.

Jason Roberts reports.

(Text of attached audio)

The two men can be seen clearly in a still image taken from the video, sat on a stone wall at the top of the embankment. But the hearing was told they should have been moved on by marshals because they were in a prohibited zone.

However, no warning signs had been put up by the contractor which prepares the rest of the TT course, and Course Maintenance Officers said they had checked to make sure the signs were there. Coroner of inquests Michael Moyle heard from former clerk of the course Neil Hanson the marshals should have reported any missing signs.

The inquest continues.
13-03-2008, 03:53 PM
FC
Unregistered

Day two from MR

Marshals who were at the 26th Milestone when a motorcyle struck two spectators during last year's senior TT have been recounting the experience, at an inquest in Douglas.

James Keith McKay, from Ramsey saw the rider's head strike a post as the machine approached the embankment where he was standing.

He lost sight of the bike for a second, then heard a loud crash and it came over the embankment in pieces.

Mr McKay said the machine came towards where he was standing with two others marshals, Janice Phillips and Hilary Musson.

He said he was extremely fortunate not to be hit himself, but debris struck Mrs Musson and he quickly realised Ms Phillips, his partner, had been hit in the arm and knocked unconscious.

Referring to the two spectators who were struck by the bike, Mr McKay said somebody tried to give CPR (Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation) treatment to one of them, Dean Adrian Jacob, from Kidderminster.

The other one, Gregory John Kenzig, from Australia, had very serious injuries, beyond what could be dealt with by first aid treatment.

Mr McKay said the road was covered in debris and fluid, but the race wasn't stopped.

Indeed, when the helicopter touched down at the nearest suitable location, across the road, people had to wait until the coast was clear before taking the casualties across, by stretcher.
Mr McKay said he had been marshaling at the 26th Milestone for four or five years and had never seen a 'Prohibited area' sign.

He said he didn't know it was a 'Prohibited area' for spectators, as was discussed at the inquest yesterday, and as far as he was concerned it was a safe place for spectators to watch the races.

Mr Jacob and Mr Kenzig, and the rider, Marc Ramsbotham from Norfolk, all died in the incident.

The inquest continues.
13-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Harvey T Offline

Threads: 16
Normally I wouldn’t comment on such a terrible situation, but the urge is too great so please bear with me on this for a minute. The reason is the below section from FCs above post. It just jumps out at me saying there could have been a better way of doing things……..I’ll explain below.

Mr McKay said the road was covered in debris and fluid, but the race wasn't stopped.

Indeed, when the helicopter touched down at the nearest suitable location, across the road, people had to wait until the coast was clear before taking the casualties across, by stretcher.

Surely there’s got to come a time, after such a catastrophic incident, that the powers that be show more concern for the gravely injured people than continue a race. Especially when the road has fluid and debris, an obvious risk to other riders, and the fact that having to wait for a clear slot before taking casualties across the road on a stretcher is taking a massive gamble that nothing will go wrong with that operation.

Don’t get me wrong, the main reason I’m quoting the above, and it’s just my opinion remember. But, do any recommendations come from these inquests. Or does the inquest come to a conclusion on the incident alone without directing the organisers to a possible safer solution for the future.
Let the dug see the rabbit.
13-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Website Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Folks I'm a little concerned about the way this thread might now go.

The inquest is ongoing and I'm very sure they will come to the right conclusions.

So please at least until the result of the inquest in known no more comments or opinions let the inquest do it's job.

FC....... I'm happy for you to continue reporting the bare facts of each days deliberations as you find them on MR...............but no more.
Thanks guys
13-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Harvey T Offline

Threads: 16
Cargo, why should you be concerned, what way might it go, I’m asking a reasonable question about the inquests powers and if they can recommend change. Surely an answer to that is not provoking or a cause for concern. In fact, it would be a real cause for concern if we can't ask or answer that question.
Let the dug see the rabbit.
13-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Website Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

To answer your question without going into specifics.
To the best of my knowledge inquests can make recommendations as to future actions.
And those to whom those recommendations are given would do well to listen and comply.
13-03-2008, 10:24 PM
stuart lee Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
It happened on the last lap and the winners were already past the finish line.

I believe this is only one of the reasons why the race wasn't stopped, like Cargo says I am sure further details will come out of the inquest which will answer your questions.
get your team in now http://www.fantasyroadrace.com
14-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Find Reply
orange Offline

Threads: 12
cargo Wrote:Folks I'm a little concerned about the way this thread might now go.

The inquest is ongoing and I'm very sure they will come to the right conclusions.

So please at least until the result of the inquest in known no more comments or opinions let the inquest do it's job.

FC....... I'm happy for you to continue reporting the bare facts of each days deliberations as you find them on MR...............but no more.
Thanks guys

Well said cargo

lets wait for the final outcome
14-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

14-03-2008, 08:37 PM
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
Oh God - responsibility spread between the MMCC, the ACU, the DTL and now the DOT.

So, when something happens, nobody's done anything because they all thought someone else was doing it, and at the end of the day, no-one's responsible . . . . . . Sad

Mind you, when a Govt. body doesn't know which other Govt. body owns a piece of land, and indeed doesn't know exactly what side of the road it is on, what hope is there for us?

15-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Find Reply
ali Offline

Threads: 5
thats the government for you!

too many chiefs all not knowing who is doing what.

my thoughts to all involved in having to re-live that terrible day again.

ali x
15-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Find Reply
tripod Offline

So let's recap.

Since the accident everyone has been citical because someone may be blamed for the deaths

Now larryd is critical because no one has been blamed for the deaths.
15-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I think what we all want to know is whether there are things that can be done to avoid, as far as possible, anything as bad happening again.
15-03-2008, 08:55 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

One thing mentioned in the inquest, whuich disgusts me is the theft of signs. Whether it was a factor in the 26th milestone accident or not, it is unforgivable.
Last year, one of the cretins actually asked John McGuiness to sign one for him.
If you want a souvenir, buy one. If someone is hurt or killed because a sign has been stolen, the thief must carry some responsibility.
15-03-2008, 09:21 AM
tripod Offline

I agree that anyone who steals or damages anything to do with the circuit or safety should be sorted out,but, everyone complains about there being more and more NO GO areas and if we go down the route of signs everywhere and someone being held responsible for every mishap then the whole track will be a no go area.

We need common sense from the spectators who should realise that they should not stand in a dangerous spot. I consider a dangerous spot to be on the outside of any corner. I remember one morning practice getting a big sideways slide going down to Quarter Bridge and I laughed at all the spectators scattering and running for cover.

Due to a well developed sense of self preservation I wouldn't stand there. But having said that I was the daft B*!&*%d going down the road sideways.
15-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Find Reply
matthewsayle Offline

Threads: 14
Its a shame theres so much finger pointing going on when the TT brings over 50 million pounds into the isle of man, you think they could all work together to get through these hard times.

As a rider in last years TT personally I would say it was a "freak" accident. But with regards the signs I got asked to sign one in the paddock in race week too. I also marshall for the MGP and I know Eddie Christian " my stepdad " was out from up to a hour before road closing sorting out signs and all the equipment. I think all the marshals do a fantastic job with very little thanks. Now they are pushing for all these prohibited areas which have to be policed by the marshals.
Bollox if they want them policed get the police back trackside and do there fCensored2ing job and get all the grief from spectators.

The crash at Joeys would was a big one and at the end of a race. Why did the parade go out, why didnt the police go and take all the pictures and statements straight away.

Events like this put too much pressure on even thining abnout marshalling. I know the risks about racing theres always a chance something could happen and I could die. Its the police who should deal wit this not marshals. Since the police have been pulled off the track its gone crazy with everyone sueing each other. Get them back.

Matthew Sayle
http://www.saylerracing.co.uk
15-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I'm please to see you are all keeping this away from the detail of the 26th incident.
15-03-2008, 10:51 AM
tripod Offline

I agree 100% with Matty.

The police always did a good job, get them back to sort out the crowd and leave the marshals to sort out the racing.

As he says as riders we all know the risks and so do the spectators so we must stop this sueing nonsense and apportioning blame.

As regards the organisers, whether it be the IOM authorities or the ACU it is easy to criticise. How many of you are involved in the organisation of race meetings?

Cargo, I think the only people who can talk about the detail of the accident are the ones who were there at the time.
15-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Absolutely right.
15-03-2008, 05:42 PM