Veteran/Vintage/Classic - yes or no?
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15
Veteran/Vintage/Classic - yes or no?
With the ACU managing to get rid of the Lap of Honour, and by the sound of it, any sign of historic machinery on the Mountain Course, I was wondering what you lot thought: do you agree with them that they have no place any more, or will it detract from your enjoyment of the TT?
Without Allan Robinson to push, shove and cajole, it has been easier for "them" to get their way - in my view, sadly.
IMHO I think there could be some clever stuff going on here: I think that the TT and the Manx GP only exist today because of their heritage. Let's face it, if they had never existed, and someone came up with the idea today of closing roads and encouraging thousands of motorcyclists to come to the Island, and to run races with 200mph motorcycles round the roads, does anyone really think it would happen?
If they can get rid of the history, it will be easier to get rid of the races, as having "no relevance in today's Isle of Man" or some such government-speak - or have I got it wrong?
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
01-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Find Reply
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46
RE: Veteran/Vintage/Classic - yes or no?
I agree wholeheartedly with you Peter, the heritage of the event is so important to it's future. Let's face it without the TT would motorcycles/motorcycling even exist today. The TT allowed the manufacturers to develop their products in the early part of last century to become the affordable vehicles for the working man. Without the foresight of the IOM authorities over 100 years ago where would we be today?

I was unable to attend the 1907 re-enactment last year and regret missing it especially as it's never to be repeated. I have posted before and asked the very question, any chance of a repeat? Seemingly not.

Maybe 2011 and the centenary of the Mountain Course will provide an answer? Or, will Honda parade their historic machinery next year to celebrate their 50th TT? I'd like to think so.

The "parade" of historic machinery will be missed this year, by two of us at least.
01-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Website Find Reply
Phil Windrum Offline

Threads: 5
I know it's probably not quite the same but did I hear there would be a Ducati parade before the Senior?
The TT has got to tap into nostalgia. 2007 was bang on but not sure they could sustain it every year. I love seeing the old bikes and especially the riders. The problem is that I (and I suspect most fans) don't go specifically to see the parade and wouldn't not go (if that makes sense) because the parade is left out. I think it's also good to concentrate on a theme like the Ducati anniversary rather than just have a load of guys tootling round.
01-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
Phil Windrum Wrote:I know it's probably not quite the same but did I hear there would be a Ducati parade before the Senior?
The TT has got to tap into nostalgia. 2007 was bang on but not sure they could sustain it every year. I love seeing the old bikes and especially the riders. The problem is that I (and I suspect most fans) don't go specifically to see the parade and wouldn't not go (if that makes sense) because the parade is left out. I think it's also good to concentrate on a theme like the Ducati anniversary rather than just have a load of guys tootling round.

A load of guys tootling around?
Thats a dreadful thing to say!
I for one am disappointed to thepoint of anger.
If there is truly to be no more classic bikery, then you can stick
the TT as far as I am concerned!
Its bad enough that the racing has become so samey.
Oh yes, I know its very fast but its boring on a machinery
level.
I dont need an excuse to stop coming (heaven knows the cost
is prohibitive!) but this could be it.

I am sure I am not alone in feeling this way.

Perhaps its time to consider the Manx or even more Norn Irn
racing?

What do others feel?
MV
01-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Website Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
"Perhaps its time to consider the Manx or even more Norn Irn
racing?"

Come for the Manx, Mike. Classics (well - replicas) thrashed in anger, pre-65 two day trial, a much bigger Vintage rally than the TT can accommodate (join the VMCC, get a suitable bike and you can take part in the closed-roads run)

I have always rated the Manx fortnight higher than the TT - the right crowd and no crowding.

PS bring your thermals, it's a few degrees cooler than June
01-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

I HAVE done the Manx, Bill.
Its just that I got stuck in the TT rut.
"You have to book the ferry for next year......
....has always been the cry.
Well we will see.....
MV
01-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Website Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141
I for one will miss the Parade lap (ok, my booking takes me home before hand), but i have always looked forward to seeing theese riders and their machines, bikes/riders that i only heard my late father talk about, in more recent yrs, it was good to see riders, that i rememberd when i was young, last year, i had the pleasure of meeting, and talking to Heinz Rosner, unreal, i rememberd him when i was a wee lad at the TT and UGP, the screaming of the MZ, I will never forget, to me this is nostalgia, part and parcel of the TT.
Now having said that, i have been to the mean (only in recent yrs, since y2k),and to be honest, the highlight of my visit, is to see the classic bikes in action, so much good quality machinery, boy doe it bring a tear to my eye!
Baylon
http://www.irishracephotography.com
01-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Website Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
Bill Snelling Wrote:"Perhaps its time to consider the Manx or even more Norn Irn
racing?"

Come for the Manx, Mike. Classics (well - replicas) thrashed in anger, pre-65 two day trial, a much bigger Vintage rally than the TT can accommodate (join the VMCC, get a suitable bike and you can take part in the closed-roads run)

I have always rated the Manx fortnight higher than the TT - the right crowd and no crowding.

PS bring your thermals, it's a few degrees cooler than June
Thanks for the advice Bill, re bringing warmer clothes. I remember many years ago (coming from Australia on my first visit) I actually brought a bikini to the IoM...well...it was summer, wasn't it! Anyway,I have made the decision that the Manx and N.I. are the way to go hence my plans to catch up with you lot at those meetings this year.
01-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Find Reply
Phil Windrum Offline

MV, I wasn't slagging off the parade, I was actually sticking up for it. I was merely pointing out that I think quality is more important than quantity. I'd rather see 10 guys like Rosner out and about than a load of boys no-one has ever heard of who happen to own a classic bike.
I'm sure, like you (and me), a lot of fans will miss the parade. I'm not sure that many will forsake the TT completely over the head of it?
02-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Find Reply
Mr B Offline

Threads: 3
The lap of honour is now one of the major reasons for me to attend the TT, I just love seeing/hearing the old bikes and having the chance to chat to riders who were my heroes back in the day. Let's face it we were honouring those who had given us so much pleasure over the years, and every year the event was oversubscribed. Seeing the same bikes paraded on a short circuit just isn't the same, and I'm sad to say that after 36 years since my first TT I don't think I'll be going back if they've chosen to forget the past. I guess this sentiment really only applies to fans of a certain age, though, and the thrusting young execs of the ACU and Tourist Board couldn't really give a monkeys for the TT's heritage. See you at the Manx, then.
02-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
I'm told it is the fact that the costs of running an Historic Lap have reached an unacceptable level. Bringing the bikes over, "insuring them", and having the good old boys over to ride them costs a big wadge.

Even so I'm still from the very old school who still believes that the TT has a heritage which should never be forgotten.

Mind you, I got some great photos of some of the rare bikes when they were being unloaded in Nobles Park Vehicle Park. I heard them start up, so maybe if a full lap is out, something could be arranged for people to see the bikes close up and odd one started up so we can hear real bike noises.

But this is knuckling down to the trend of forgetting "the TT before 2007" which now seems to be in operation. It is not enough to see stationary machines, might as well have cardboard replicas with tape recordings !!

By the way, MV Agusta won all the solo races in 1958.....Are they celebrating that ???
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
02-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

I must say that seeing the historic machinery in the paddock and hear them running is every bit as
exciting as seeing them ridden.
If you take the decision to forget the history of the TT, its machines and riders, you are obe step away
from forgetting it all together.
Why not just have a bike festival with a hall full of playstations to replace the racing?
I know I am an old fart, but I have so many memories of the real thing.
My trip over in 3 weeks time will be less and less about the racing and more and more about seeing old
friends
MV
02-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Website Find Reply
Phil Windrum Offline

Does anyone have any info on whether there actually is a Ducati parade before the Senior or not?
02-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
I'm in total agreement with all of you, we MUST protect the heritage of this unique race series.

But what do we do ?????
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
02-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Website Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15
I wonder if Mr Philips is reading this thread? Has he any say in things any more, or has control passed totally to ACUE?
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
03-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

I am beggining to despair, I really am
MV
03-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

See?! Its got to my spelling!!
MV
03-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Website Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40
I'm afraid that influencial areas of the bike world, i.e weekly mainstream media, organising body etc are totally disinterested in the heritage of not only the sport but the machines aswell. Thank God for Mortons for giving us something decent to read...

The car world is much better at honouring it's past. Look at the success of the Goodwood events for example (yes, I know bikes are there but these are predominantly car events)

Near me is the Prescott Hillclimb course, one of the oldest motorsport venues in the world. Every summer they have a VMCC meeting where all entries are pre-WW2. The place is always packed.

Not too far away is Shelsley Walsh hillclimb. I was at the centenary a couple of years back and the place was completely rammed.

I cannot imagine that if a car meeting had the heritage of the TT, they would treat it's history with such disdain.
03-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
Phil Windrum Wrote:Does anyone have any info on whether there actually is a Ducati parade before the Senior or not?
The Ducati parade takes place on Friday 6th. There will be some interesting "old" classic Ducatis. eg, 125 cc desmo twin, 250 cc desmo twin, & the F1 Hailwood ( replica) machine, + loads more from the Ducati musuem in Bologna.
07-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Find Reply
Phil Windrum Offline

Thanks for the info Pat.
08-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Find Reply