Veteran/Vintage/Classic - yes or no?
Rocket Man Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Veteran/Vintage/Classic - yes or no?
I think it is a sad loss to the TT that the "Parade Lap", or "Lap of Honour" has now been dropped.
In my opinion the TT needs something different to keep all of the crowds happy, and not getting fed up by basically watching the same type of machinery racing lap after lap, race after race, and the classic laps made people sit up to watch, listen and smell the bikes of yesteryear, as history is unfurled before their very eyes.
I remember, which i believed, was the first "Lap of Honour" in 1979 to celebrate the "Millenium Year", when Read and Sutees 500 MVs, and Percy Tait, 750 Triumph, having a right ding-dong across the mountain, with Tait getting in front just before the finish. They came round "Signpost Corner", close to race speed, the 2 MVs side by side, with Taits front wheel in between the rear wheels of the MVs. Blink and you would have missed them.
There have been some great parades since, them and thanks to the late Allan Robinson MBE, he accepted my entry to ride in the parade, on 5 occassions, for which i will be eternally grateful.
A month ago i sold the Rob North Rocket 3, having owned it for 25 years, because i would never ride it again and then went out a bought a BSA Gold Star Clubman, to relive my teenage years when i owned one in 1968.
The old bikes to me, have character and are all indeviduals, something that is sorely lacking in todays plastic rocket ships.
Below. TT.2000. My last parade on the island.
[Image: BSA.jpg]
09-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
When we came to the TT the Parade Lap was on the list as one of the must see items of the TT fortnight. When it actually took place, to be honest, I was a bit disappointed; the bikes came past either grouped together or in a different order to the program and they were passed before you could get your brain into gear. The pits at Billown, the Manx classic races or the static display at Castletown left a more lasting impression.
To be positive, my opinion is that a first class, permanent TT museum would do much to lock in the heritage. This could also be a rallying place for nostalgic events, one make reunions and anniversaries.
For me the parade lap time and money would be better spent with a smaller capacity, real TT on the mountain course.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
12-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Totally agree.
I have a lot of reservations about parade laps, including the fact you can't see the bikes, as they often go off in bunches, not in order.
The static shows in Castletown are absolutely wonderful... you can study the bikes, talk to the owners , often hear them running too. Many of theses bikes would not be in the parade laps as they are too rare and precious, or their owners are not able to do it themselves and don't trust anyone else (I wouldn't if I owned one of those exquisite 50s...mmmmmmmmm.)
The Manx Grand Prix is the place to see these machines, and perhaps that aspect could be developed to encourage more MGP visitors.
I have to say that, as a marshal, by the time these events come around, we are usually exhausted and want to go home.
Having to hang about sometimes for a couple of extra hours, while the participants are lined up set off, and have their lap, is just one duty too many.
Most people who come to the TT come for the racing itself, and they wander off when the races are finished, leaving tired marshals and officials, remarkably few stalwarts (none at all at some points) and the participants.
While I don't wish to spoil anyone's fun, some of them should get a licence and race. You don't have to win, but your practice sessions and races make you a better rider all round, and you use the bike for what it was meant for. If it is too precious to race, it is too precious to do parade laps with.
12-05-2008, 03:02 PM
theflyingplumber Offline

Threads: 5
PeterCourtney Wrote:With the ACU managing to get rid of the Lap of Honour, and by the sound of it, any sign of historic machinery on the Mountain Course, I was wondering what you lot thought: do you agree with them that they have no place any more, or will it detract from your enjoyment of the TT?
Without Allan Robinson to push, shove and cajole, it has been easier for "them" to get their way - in my view, sadly.
IMHO I think there could be some clever stuff going on here: I think that the TT and the Manx GP only exist today because of their heritage. Let's face it, if they had never existed, and someone came up with the idea today of closing roads and encouraging thousands of motorcyclists to come to the Island, and to run races with 200mph motorcycles round the roads, does anyone really think it would happen?
If they can get rid of the history, it will be easier to get rid of the races, as having "no relevance in today's Isle of Man" or some such government-speak - or have I got it wrong?

I also agree with you 100% Peter, tradition, history and heritage is disappearing from all over the place and I for one dont want the TT to follow that trend,.By not being able to hear and see these bikes on the road is going down that route.
You may recall that late January I posted a thread Named TT SOUNDS and it being one of my first attempts on this site, I was delighted that it received 38 replies and 1503 visits. Members added greatly to the thread by posting sound recordings etc. I expanded on the original post by asking "and where is your favourite spectating spot for hearing these fabulous historic sounds". well I think the response was terrific and more than proved there is a demand for being able to hear and see these bikes with their individuality.
Big mistake I think if we lose the lap of honour or something like it.
13-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Have a look in the TT2008 section...
13-05-2008, 10:59 AM
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
theflyingplumber Wrote:
PeterCourtney Wrote:With the ACU managing to get rid of the Lap of Honour, and by the sound of it, any sign of historic machinery on the Mountain Course, I was wondering what you lot thought: do you agree with them that they have no place any more, or will it detract from your enjoyment of the TT?
Without Allan Robinson to push, shove and cajole, it has been easier for "them" to get their way - in my view, sadly.
IMHO I think there could be some clever stuff going on here: I think that the TT and the Manx GP only exist today because of their heritage. Let's face it, if they had never existed, and someone came up with the idea today of closing roads and encouraging thousands of motorcyclists to come to the Island, and to run races with 200mph motorcycles round the roads, does anyone really think it would happen?
If they can get rid of the history, it will be easier to get rid of the races, as having "no relevance in today's Isle of Man" or some such government-speak - or have I got it wrong?

I also agree with you 100% Peter, tradition, history and heritage is disappearing from all over the place and I for one dont want the TT to follow that trend,.By not being able to hear and see these bikes on the road is going down that route.
You may recall that late January I posted a thread Named TT SOUNDS and it being one of my first attempts on this site, I was delighted that it received 38 replies and 1503 visits. Members added greatly to the thread by posting sound recordings etc. I expanded on the original post by asking "and where is your favourite spectating spot for hearing these fabulous historic sounds". well I think the response was terrific and more than proved there is a demand for being able to hear and see these bikes with their individuality.
Big mistake I think if we lose the lap of honour or something like it.
13-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
I know that for a number of years now which ever organizer was in charge of the TT the Classic lap was a "pressure" for them. Trying to find room for a awful lot of clsassic race transport in the paddock area, trying to get everybody thru scrutineering, whilst the build up to a genuine TT race was going on, there is no doubt it, it was a pressure. I have heard people say, and even seen posted on this site that this year the ACU have got rid of the classic lap, I believe that if the MMCC was still the organizers of the TT the classic lap would still not be held this year. Alan Robinson remarked to me once that it would be nice to have a seperate day to run the classic lap, but we all know that this was not possible, so it was always "taged on" at the end of a race day. Please dont get me wrong, I think that the Classic lap was the best part of the race week. The bikes, the sounds, the smells, the people, the riders was what I can rembember the TT was all about. Many of the organizers and senior officials were all crowding around the bikes, they were all as interested, inthralled, and memorized as everybody else was, so I dont believe that anybody has deliberatl got rid of the classic lap, it is just that what ever organization is in charge they have a number of TT races to manage and run. It is in my opinion that the classic lap became to big to happen on a race day. The Ducati "parade" on the 6th June will go some way to soften the dissapointment of no traditional classic lap, but I for one will really miss the sites, and sounds of proper racing motor cycles. I agree with the people that have said that what we really need is a permanent TT musuem, perhaps thru this site any interested people or organizations could arange to meet during TT week to perhaps talk this thru, and how best the classic lap could be restored. however we cant leave it to long, a lot of TT history making machines are spread out all over the globe, and the longer it is left the harder it will become.

For the TT to have a FUTURE, it must have a PAST, and that past MUST BE SEEN AND HEARD.
13-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Find Reply
oggy Offline

Threads: 2
First my answer to the post title YES. I will really miss the classic lap, the sound of the Manx Norton singles, Honda fours and sixes, MV three, the smell of R and Ago going round without any booing what a shame.
13-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Well, hopefully it will encourage more people to attend the MGP. But you all are correct, the racing history is so important. Just last week, there I was standing in between Phil Read and Agostini..!! Life does not get any better than that..!!!

Cheers..!!

Ron - giving notice, the Yanks are coming to this year's MGP..!!
14-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15
If it is difficult to make time for the classics parade, maybe one of the yawn-yawn-more-of-the-same-are-they-400s-or-600s-or-Proddies races should be dumped in favour of these living legends and wonderful machinery?Evil
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
14-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Find Reply
Mr B Offline

Threads: 3
Sorry, am I missing something? There's a Ducati parade lap, isn't there? With how many machines? Probably not that many. Surely "they" could have started them off at the front of a past masters parade - say 5 minutes ahead? Wouldn't have delayed the Senior race any longer, surely, and then everyone's happy.
14-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Find Reply