Emergency talks over TT insurance
thewitch
Unregistered

Emergency talks over TT insurance
Confusion over prohibited areas

TT race organiser ACU Events was believed to be holding emergency talks with its insurers today amid growing concerns about liability cover for landowners on the course.

A joint statement was due to be issued in the next few hours.

The problem emerged after ACU issued a statement warning landowners who refused to make their land prohibited to spectators that they should take out their own insurance because they would not otherwise be covered if an accident took place.

It is understood the validity of that statement has been questioned by an insurance firm.

Clerk of the course Eddie Nelson said: 'The first I knew there might be an issue was when ACU's MD told me that there was a problem with insurance on the Isle of Man.'
16-05-2008, 07:32 PM
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Emergency talks over TT insurance
thewitch Wrote:Confusion over prohibited areas

TT race organiser ACU Events was believed to be holding emergency talks with its insurers today amid growing concerns about liability cover for landowners on the course.

A joint statement was due to be issued in the next few hours.

The problem emerged after ACU issued a statement warning landowners who refused to make their land prohibited to spectators that they should take out their own insurance because they would not otherwise be covered if an accident took place.

It is understood the validity of that statement has been questioned by an insurance firm.

Clerk of the course Eddie Nelson said: 'The first I knew there might be an issue was when ACU's MD told me that there was a problem with insurance on the Isle of Man.'

Validity questioned?

The validity is ZERO!!

If these people had brains, they would be dangerous . . . .

smilie
16-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Find Reply
oggy Offline

Threads: 2
Talk about last minute nerves, you sure keep us on the edge of our seats with your updates thewitch. What is the probable outcome? we'll all have to sign a disclaimer the way things are going.
16-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Sorry about that, Oggy... it's not me that's panicing though. This is from the local papers. I'm only the messenger, trawling the deepest mines of information on your behalf.
Oh... and looking forward to the Pre-TT, The TT, The Steam Packet Races, The Southern100, the Manx Grand Prix, and right now to tomorrow's Jurby Roads, with some fabulous entries, especially in the sidecars, where the reigning world champions, Tim Reeves and Patrick Farrance will be racing for the very first time there, against the 13 times TT winner, Moly with Dan Sayle in the chair and the absolute TT lap record holder, Nick Crowe with Coxy on the side.
Now if that's not something to look forward to...
oh... I believe there's to be some solos too... oh, goodie!!
DON'T PANIC.........smilie
16-05-2008, 10:44 PM
oggy Offline

Your enthusiasm is infectious and is why I view daily to get updates, I wasn't blaming you for the tension just making reactive comments, keep up the good work. I envy you going to tomorrows racing what a slidey feast you will have to enjoy. Now if you really want to make this the number one forum why not video some of the action and post it later.
17-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Well, video is a step too far, but funnily enough I looked out the camera last night, charged it up, and... well, lets just wait and see. The reason I stopped photography years ago was that you can't watch and be a photgrapher. I lost count of how many times I went home not knowing who won what!
I'm really looking forward to today. I know Padix is here... he came across with his pushbike, on the boat...so, I'm off to meet Ruth shortly, and then it's the long trek (Rolleyes) to Jurby.
If you've never been to Jurby roads (as opposed to the airfield), you need to make the trip. If nothing else, go up and have a look at the course when you are here for the TT etc.
Hope to have all sorts of info for you all tonight.smilie
17-05-2008, 06:19 AM
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
I know JUST waht you mean about photagraphing and seeing!
During the 70s, I did loads of photography and, like you, missed soem of the racing!
I was just syaing to Cago on the other thread that I didnt now there WAS a Jurby Road circuit!
Yes, ME, of all people.
How did I miss that??
Must put it rght in a couple of weeks time
MV
17-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Website Find Reply
oggy Offline

What I always do is take my pictures early in the race, which means you get riders who may break down later, then put it away and enjoy the racing. I think the problem when you have a camera in your hand is you always want to be ready for that extra special moment so keep looking through the view finder but usually miss it anyway. Just a few snaps would be good but most of all enjoy.
I must admit I didn't know there was a road circuit at Jurby I will have a look when I'm over.
17-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Have a look in this thread for a map of Jurby Road
17-05-2008, 12:11 PM
samwise Offline

Threads: 4
cargo Wrote:Have a look in this thread for a map of Jurby Road

This one, in fact Wink
17-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Website Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
So if the ACU are telling landowners they are not covered by the ACU's event insurance (implying they may be liable to damages if someone on their land gets injured) surely what they have done in effect is to close great swathes of spectating areas to the public?

Thanks ACU. Again.
18-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Website Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

10ft crash fences at the QB now
18-05-2008, 04:43 PM
oggy Offline

What was the outcome of the emergency talks does anybody know? or is that ACU emergency as in anytime in the next three months.
20-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Find Reply