Diesel Spillages - Again!
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
Diesel Spillages - Again!
smilie
I hate to have to say it again this year, but the problem is back on the course. Perhaps it is here all the year round but there aren't any marshals out to spot it.

This evening there were large deposits of diesel (or other oil?) on the road from Ballacraine to Gorse Lea. The heaviest trail ran towards Ballacraine from Douglas. Perhaps some of you know where this trail led to after that?

The DoT sweeper was in serious action before roads closed, but following that cement dust had to be used.

Someone is doing this either carelessly or deliberately, and is potentially a killer. Look carefully if you are driving or riding behind a diesel vehicle. It could be a wagon, bus, coach, van, tractor, etc. Get the registration if it is spewing fuel onto the road and report it to the police and the vehicle test centre. If you are reluctant to speak up yourself (and maybe save lives) just pm me and I'll see that it is dealt with.
27-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Find Reply
kmckay Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Diesel Spillages - Again!
I rode from work to my marshalling position that way; you could smell the stuff!
Ramsey, IoM
28-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

kmckay Wrote:I rode from work to my marshalling position that way; you could smell the stuff!

More evidence, copied from iomtt.com:

"We noticed these on the way home tonight, but only after following the road cleaner for a bit, wondering what it was doing soaping the road up for a considerable stretch!

The spillage continued all around the course and only seemed to clear mid way along on the Voddy!? Also it seemed to stop at the Ballig turning and start again at the left hander (dont want to think that someone is doing it deliberately but there is a police car parked there at the moment more often than not)

There was a really big spillage at Sarahs after Glen Helen right on the bend!

Surely if this is deliberate or not someone must have been following whatever it was making the mess and noticed something?

Whatever it was there was so much of it, and with the amount of traffic on the road someone must have seen something. Either way it needs to stop before someone is hurt or worse.

Jules x"
28-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

This is particularly useful as it identifies spillages going north of Ballacraine. It may suggest an overfilled, left-sided tank, slopping it out on right-hand bends. However, the spillages that we saw were towards the middle of the traffic lane.

In response to a suggestion that rain had brought old spills to the surface, this certainly happens, and on a frightening scale. However, yesterday's spillage was very strong, visible and concentrated. We first noticed it from Ballagarraghyn to Ballacraine, and queuing for the lights had caused larger deposits there. I would also guess that it had been dropped between 4pm and 5.15pm, when we spotted it, as there was little spread pattern caused by traffic and/or dampness.

If you are travelling that way this afternoon, keep your eyes open for a repeat performance.
28-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Diesel rises to the top.
28-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

SHOP A SPILLER SOON!smilie
29-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
Surely this is an ideal time for the Police to use the stop check system that they had during the winter. i know that they are a little busy with traffic during the two week period but one or two officers together with those from the Test Centre Inspection team may make a difference.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
29-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

SHOP A SPILLER! smilie
THIS AFTERNOON'S PRIME SPILLING TIME HAS BEGUN!
29-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Find Reply