Steam Packet Release Visitor Figures
ttwebsite Offline
Administrator

Threads: 44
Steam Packet Release Visitor Figures
THERE were fewer bikes at this year's TT – but visitor numbers were slightly up on 2006.

Figures released by the Steam Packet show that the ferries carried 31,038 passengers to the Island for this year's races, up 247 from the 2006 figures of 30,791.

The number of vehicles carried also saw an increase from 4,359 in 2006 to 4,556 this year.

But the number of bikes dropped by 70 from 9,625 in 2006 to 9,555 this year.

The visitor numbers are broadly in line with the expectations of tourism chiefs, who always accepted that the figures could never match those of the Centenary TT but predicted they would be equal to those of the previous year.

Steam Packet chief executive Mark Woodward said: 'While it would be almost impossible to match the number of visitors we had for the TT Centenary, compared to 2006, the figures show a steady increase in ferry passengers for the festival.

'I'm pleased to say that TT 2008 was a great success for the racing and for us, with clement weather and all sailings running pretty much to schedule.'

Courtesy IOM Newspapers.
Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by traffic from both sides.
11-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Website Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
RE: Steam Packet Release Visitor Figures
This does not reflect true bike numbers as many more chose to bring a number of bikes in a van than in previous years, with considerable savings on the cost of fares over all.

If I were a visitor I'd opt for loading as many bikes as possible into a van and bring it over before TT, and back after the TT period. You could save hundreds, or even thousands, on the pumped-up prices for TT travel.

Alternatively, I'd become a TT Marshal, enjoy helping with the event, and enjoy the discounted travel that has been introduced.
11-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Find Reply
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32
RE: Steam Packet Release Visitor Figures
SHHH Censored2
Don't tellsmilie
Roll on ALAND 2009, Island Games Xlll.
Yahoo, I've achieved 3 guidelines for the Island Games & I'm selected ! May see you after at the S100 & Jurby Road.
11-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Website Find Reply