WARNING TO VISITORS
FC
Unregistered

WARNING TO VISITORS
Just to give you warning before coming to the MGP or any other event on the Island. The Islands Government have now brought in parking fines for any person that parks a van or commercial vehicle on Douglas Prom, £40 fine, and no exceptions.
17-07-2008, 05:16 PM
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
RE: WARNING TO VISITORS
FC Wrote:Just to give you warning before coming to the MGP or any other event on the Island. The Islands Government have now brought in parking fines for any person that parks a van or commercial vehicle on Douglas Prom, £40 fine, and no exceptions.
BonkBonkBonk
Roll on Kells 2010
17-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23
FC,can you expand a bit on this,although I live here I haven't heard about it.I often have to park my van on the prom for business as you can't get vans in the multi storey carparks.
17-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

The Prom is for the parking of cars only, the signs now all say disk parking L permits. Checked it out with the wardens today, who have now been told to operate in pairs in case of abuse, they said that they have been instructed to book any vehicle which is thought to be commercial or larger than a car. I also asked what will happen during the Likes of TT when a lot of vans will be here and was told they will be all booked if they park on the prom.
Rally crews here for this weekends Manx Rally were being booked while parked outside their hotels today.
17-07-2008, 07:06 PM
FC
Unregistered

Do you think the DTL want visitors here, the law also stands for camper vans being parked on the prom
17-07-2008, 07:11 PM
beepee Offline

Threads: 23
I hope this doesn't include the pay and display parks 'cos if it does the a lot of us will be f*****.
17-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Find Reply
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32
Oh my now then my Mum & I love 4 x 4'sEvil, they surely can't be classed as a car smilie smilie, hope not Evil
Roll on ALAND 2009, Island Games Xlll.
Yahoo, I've achieved 3 guidelines for the Island Games & I'm selected ! May see you after at the S100 & Jurby Road.
17-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Website Find Reply
gary the nurse Offline

Threads: 18
no exceptions eh....so would the fair be a commercial vehicle-excellent evertime a parking gestapo goes past they can slap on a ticket and they'll get the message and begger off smartish!yippee the end of the fair is at hand!
18-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

... and the cheapskate camper van occupants, who stay on the Prom and use the beach as their toilet.
18-07-2008, 06:06 PM
FC
Unregistered

I know this is not in Pauls playing field , but would be interested in what he thinks of this situation in regard to the TT.
18-07-2008, 08:14 PM
hilary R Offline

Threads: 0
FC Wrote:Just to give you warning before coming to the MGP or any other event on the Island. The Islands Government have now brought in parking fines for any person that parks a van or commercial vehicle on Douglas Prom, £40 fine, and no exceptions.

I read this only applies to the sea, side of the road where there are parking bays it obcures the view of passing traffic
18-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
As Gail says,we hate 4x4's generally,as most of them are used for taking the kids to school,by ladies who are incapable of driving them properly.They are also used for shopping,and take up just as much room as a small van,The side of the promenade opposite the sea rarely has any parking places as they are taken up by people staying in the hotels or residents of apartments, so there is little chance of anyone with a van being used for TT/MGP parking there.Obviously,some mindless government official has dreamed this up without thought,as they usually do.Let's hope that the rally folk and their teams won't want to come to the Island again if they are fined for parking.It's totally patheticEvil
(This post was last modified: 19-07-2008, 09:13 PM by Hilary M.)
19-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Find Reply
Chris Maybury Offline

Threads: 1
One assumes that commercial vehicles loading and unloading would be exempted, if they had to stop on the beach side.
***A Balanced Meal is a FULL PINT in Each Hand***
20-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Chris Maybury Wrote:One assumes that commercial vehicles loading and unloading would be exempted, if they had to stop on the beach side.

No they are not exempt, Commercials have to use the areas marked for loading and at the moment they are
Regent Street 2 bays
Victoria St 3 plus 4 bays
Granville street 1 bay
Walpole Av 2 bays
Hilton Hotel front 1 bay

So you will see that there is not many and as an operator of commercials that use these spaces I would report others that use them ie cars or non registered commercials.
With the figures for arrivals at this years TT being admitted to being down, my thoughts are that its just another area in which the Government would be guaranteed extra income.
I was also told that commercials are not allowed to park in front of the sea terminal now?

The parking of commercials on the prom has always been prohibited by way of an old Douglas Corporation Bye Law but has not been enforced for many years until now.
20-07-2008, 07:59 AM
samwise Offline

Threads: 4
Hilary M Wrote:Obviously,some mindless government official has dreamed this up without thought,as they usually do.Let's hope that the rally folk and their teams won't want to come to the Island again if they are fined for parking.It's totally patheticEvil

I think that this has always been in, just not enforced previously *shrugs*
21-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Having just received a reply from the DoT regarding this posting, please find their their comments as follows:-

Parking vans on the diagonal car parking on Loch Promenade.

I can confirm the Department's Parking Controllers have been enforcing this area and any large van (transit size or larger) is to be given a fixed penalty notice if they are parked in the diagonal parking area.

Vans can be parked in the Parade Street car park.

It would appear from this response that the restrictions/enforcements are being applied to the Diagonal Parking areas on Loch Promenade only and not on any other section of the Promenade.

However, always best to check on the day when you turn up with your van.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
22-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Website Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

They were booking or moving vans from outside the Hotels last thursday rally crews
22-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
Jesus H Christ, is there any end to the lengths they will go to to fleece visitors? smilie
01-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Website Find Reply
ancient Offline

Threads: 4
what visitors? me ill stay at home manx week or go to france for a third of the cost.and read the results in m.c.n.they will be in there wont they?
02-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
ancient Wrote:what visitors? me ill stay at home manx week or go to france for a third of the cost.and read the results in m.c.n.they will be in there wont they?

Don't know which buncH to laugh at first, the IoM government for being very silly or MCN for well,being MCN! Results did you say?the top 12 if you are luckysmilie
04-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Find Reply