Where to eat out at the Manx
smokey125 Offline

Threads: 7
Where to eat out at the Manx
Ok guy’s (especially any Manx residents) need some advice about where we can eat out now days.

First question, we arrive early doors on Friday 15th and are after a simple good value breakfast. Last year after a recommendation from a thread on iomtt site we tried the café by the bus stop/station near the port. This was good but from what I have been told it has changed hands and is now not as good as it used to be. Any recommendations, preferably in Douglas but could be a little further out as I have been informed that plan for the day is breakfast, lap, ice cream, check into hotel, ice cream, sign on, ice cream?!? Bonk

Second question and really the most important where can we get evening meals where they allow kids in (11-12 month old)? Last year on the nights I didn’t break down our most popular haunts were the mini don (sure I’ve not spelt that right) and the Liverpool arms. If I broke down anywhere between Kirk Michael (also spelt wrong?) and Ramsey it was the Sulby Glen.
Are these places child friendly and is there anywhere else that is child friendly especially towards the end of serving time as we are often late if I break down? Food doesn’t need to be fancy just good old fashioned honest grub.
Don’t mind having take out occasionally but don’t really want to be doing it every night.
Hopefully see some of you over there. Two weeks and two days till we leave. Yahoo

I'll finish it one day!
29-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14
RE: Where to eat out at the Manx
Hi Smokey 125
A good place for breakfast is the cafe in nobles park, near the kids playground bit, not sure what time it opens but it is quite early. They also do ice cream and of course are child friendly.
Good news is that you spelt Kirk Micheal correctly and the Min-y-don I think is the way thats spelt. You could try the Cat with no tail, i've seen kids in there before and also the Archibald Knox, into Onchan turn left at the lights where the Manx Arms is and its about 100 yards up on the left. If all else fails you can come and pinch a Scone from The Scone Palace in the paddock smilie
Cheers
Russ
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
29-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Website Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
Brekky - try the Caff in the Indoor Market in Douglas, or if you're headed up North the swimming pool cafe in Ramsey's good.
Failing that my faves are Sulby Glen / Raven (Ballaugh) / Mitre(Kirk Michael) and of course the Marine on Peel prom. Most pubs allow kids in if you're eating - I was in the Sulby Glen on Friday and we had a 7 yr old in our group - no problem.
Should you venture darn South, the Bay on Port Erin beach is super - or at least it was when I lived down there - if it's changed I'm sure someone will put me right.
I'm off on my hols on Friday, but will be back for the Manx, so hopefully will see you Tuesday night at the Cat.
Cheers,
Boakesey
In training for the Scone-a-thon...........
....scone out to take photos!
29-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

In Castletown, try the Bowling Green cafe... scones...mmmmmmmmm.
I was, of course, going to suggest the Scone Palace, but Russ got in first!Yahoosmilie
29-07-2008, 06:50 PM
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
thewitch Wrote:In Castletown, try the Bowling Green cafe... scones...mmmmmmmmm.
I was, of course, going to suggest the Scone Palace, but Russ got in first!Yahoosmilie

Nooooo.....!!!!!!!!!!

Don't tell anyone else about the Scone Palace - that way, there'll be more for us....Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

smilie
....scone out to take photos!
29-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14
Due to the evident popularity of the 2008 Scone Palace Scones, I think we might get through more Scones than Spooner will pistons this year!!!!
Russ
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
(This post was last modified: 30-07-2008, 06:27 PM by The Bag.)
30-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

marginally...............smilie
30-07-2008, 07:03 PM
smokey125 Offline

Threads: 7
Thanks for all the info guy’s. Any idea when places like the Mitre and Raven finish serving food? Can’t remember if it was last year or the year before but I broke down at Douglas road corner and by the time my parents got there they had stopped serving. We were also told by a local that they weren’t that bike friendly don’t know if this was true or not. Either way it was the reasons we ended up in the Sulby Glen every time I broke down on that side of the course. As they were always able to help.

I'll finish it one day!
31-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Find Reply